IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cause for fluctuating highway vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 08:36 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
You wouldn't be the first member on here that I've read about having vibration and/or chunking issue while on those tires.

Let me guess, the innermost edges of the front tires are wearing more. That is due to the "soft" factory LCA bushing. There are aftermarket options available that are much stiffer (poly instead of rubber) that will eliminate that wear issue.
Yes, I just read a few threads regarding this issue. So it looks like I will be upgrading the bushings in the future to avoid premature tire wear on the front

Originally Posted by Viktimize
First thing you really should be mentioning is whether it is RWD or AWD.
My bad. Car is a 2008 RWD. I checked the driveline and Im only seeing and feeling what looks like normal play. Nothing excessive. Im also not thinking its driveline related, because the vibration is still felt with just coasting and not under load, above 80 MPH. The part that makes this peculiar is that its not constant. I've never felt a type of vibration that comes and goes and only above 80. But like I said before, after I rebalanced the tires, I feel it less. We'll see what happens when its time to buy new tires (will go with a brand other than Michelin)
Old 10-22-16, 10:19 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a vibration problem with a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 that I bought used. Above around 80 they got bad. Bad enough that I really didn't want to go that fast. When the tires wore down, I replaced them and the vibration left.
Old 10-22-16, 10:29 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ezbmr
I had a vibration problem with a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 that I bought used. Above around 80 they got bad. Bad enough that I really didn't want to go that fast. When the tires wore down, I replaced them and the vibration left.
Which tires did you go with? Im anticipating replacing tires sooner than expected. lol
Old 10-22-16, 10:52 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Well I got a pair of Kuhmo ASX in the front, they aren't the best , but the Michelin Super Sports in the rear are. I wish I could keep them for my new car. Tirerack has a great deal on Kuhmo LX platinum. They are a Touring tire, but they are neck and neck with the Michelin Primacy
Old 10-23-16, 07:33 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after fresh alignment and balance you'll feel a little vibration for a few weeks, like i said it's not the car it's the Tires, Toyota/Lexus Balljoint Driveshaft Lower control arm bushing, wheel bearing endlinks are very good they lasts almost the same as your drivetrain, i remember my uncle 2002 ES350 all original when he got rid of it due the lack of parking, car still drive all original except SHOCKS, never alignment lol tires worn out evenly WOW for an ES350, my AUnty still driving her 1996 TOyota Camry another woW for Toyota.
Old 11-07-16, 09:25 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

This is what Im experiencing. The vibration causing tools (did an oil change this past weekend) I had piled together to make noise

Old 11-08-16, 05:31 AM
ezbmr
Driver

Could be some bad roads. Where I live they put grooves in the road which isn't bad, but at one place they decided that they would cross the parallel lines with perpendicular ones and it really made it bad. Esp before I had my front control arms and tires replaced.
Old 11-08-16, 07:41 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see how a bad road could cause a rhythmic vibration like that. As others have said, tires is a good guess. They aren't all going to be exactly the same diameter, so one turning faster than the opposite, with the two getting in and out of sync could cause that kind of problem, so replacing one front and one rear tire/rim with different ones should change the problem. If you can find a compatible set of tires and rims.
I'm wondering if this could be a shock issue? If the shock, or maybe even the spring, is going bad, and the wheel rotation is close to the natural frequency of the loaded spring could that cause enough "feedback' to result in the vibration?
Old 11-08-16, 11:12 AM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
This is what Im experiencing. The vibration causing tools (did an oil change this past weekend) I had piled together to make noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsGmp-gpJ0
I'm really glad you posted this video because I have the same exact vibration! I have RWD and staggered rims so kinda expensive to buy 2 extra rims to swap around and find the vibration. From all the investigative work I've done I think I've narrowed it down to a bent rim, but I can't be sure because I haven't solved it yet...I rely on the car too much everyday. Might take it to a road force balancer soon, will update thread with any of my findings.

Edit: I went from Firestones in the front and Kumho's in the back to all new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and it didn't help. Car felt better for sure, but the vibration is most definitely still apparent.
Old 11-08-16, 02:48 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UnderCover
I went from Firestones in the front and Kumho's in the back to all new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and it didn't help. Car felt better for sure, but the vibration is most definitely still apparent.
Ugh, that sucks If its probably not the tires, Im clueless about what else it can be. I've had cars with bent wheels and the vibration is similar to mine, but constant, and at lower speeds. My wheels are not completely perfectly straight, but definitely not as bad as the bent wheels I had that caused vibration on a previous car

It seems like it would be a very common problem too but apparently its not. Going crazy not being able to solve it, and I feel like I cant enjoy the car 100% right now Definitely keep us updated
Old 11-08-16, 03:51 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I had an issue such as this not long ago actually.. I have Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+'s

I originally thought it could be a bent rim however after checking my tire pressure it was low - I juiced up the tire and the vibration went away..

Might not be that simple for you but it worked for me haha

I recently had my tires re balanced so i thought that this could have been the issue as well