IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Startup Rattle Sound.

Old 10-16-16, 02:52 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
well, according to Lexus, on the IS250, it's not a big issue for the car to rattle on cold start other than an annoyance. Since your car doesn't do it on cold start, it's hard to tell if it's the same issue or a different issue.
Well, mine doesn't necessarily happen on cold starts, but it did happen on cold starts. It just happens fairly randomly, and I feel it's more frequent than "haphazardly".

Essentially, it's just an issue that bugs me. I'm going to try to get the Lexus dealer to do the carbon buildup warranty for me, and maybe pay the parts for the camshaft fix if possible...
Old 10-16-16, 06:44 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well ask them what the they think the noise it and check with them whether it can be replaced under warranty or Recall. Don't offer to pay for anything until you find out the details and don't roll over. If this is the cam gears tel them they need to fix it because it is a known problem. have you checked to see if you have any open recalls on the vehicle?
Old 10-16-16, 07:11 PM
lonestr250
Driver School Candidate

Mine had the same issue
Old 10-17-16, 02:40 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lonestr250
Mine had the same issue
Have you tried anything to address this? Or you just sort of live with it...
Old 10-21-16, 04:04 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

So have you determined what your issue is.

I'm curious what kind of answer your looking for? Did you want someone to tell you it's ok, don't worry about it? or did you want someone to tell you if it's your cam gears coming loose and you might want to fix it before they fall off and you need a new engine.

Now if the noise isn't coming from the cam gears but from underneath the vehicle where your cat is (like one of the other posters) then it could be your heat shield above the cat that is rattling.

Not sure what your after at this point since you still seem kind of confused as to what your problem is and whether you should ignore it or not.

Maybe it's best you take it somewhere where they can tell you whats wrong since I don't think your going to figure it out on your own.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-16, 04:08 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
So have you determined what your issue is.

I'm curious what kind of answer your looking for? Did you want someone to tell you it's ok, don't worry about it? or did you want someone to tell you if it's your cam gears coming loose and you might want to fix it before they fall off and you need a new engine.

Now if the noise isn't coming from the cam gears but from underneath the vehicle where your cat is (like one of the other posters) then it could be your heat shield above the cat that is rattling.

Not sure what your after at this point since you still seem kind of confused as to what your problem is and whether you should ignore it or not.

Maybe it's best you take it somewhere where they can tell you whats wrong since I don't think your going to figure it out on your own.

Good Luck
Thanks for the insight. I'm pretty sure it should be the camshaft rattle. I'll ask the mechanic from the dealer when I take my car in next Tuesday.
But I will definitely ask if it could also be the heat shield above the cat.
Old 10-31-16, 08:27 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Just an update. Last Tuesday I drove to the dealer for the test and they said 3 of my cylinders had misfires so yes they will rebuild my engine. I got a 2015 RX350h as a loaner, awesome SUV with cognac interior. Now, just about to bring in the spark plugs to the dealer and have them swap it for me. The only thing I'm paying the dealer for would be the replacement of the camshaft that rattles during the startup. The part cost me about $780, kind of pricey but it's better than having the rattle sound and worrying sick.
All in all, looking forward to get my "new" IS250 with a new engine, new camshaft, new fire plugs and new dashboard later.

Happy.
Old 10-31-16, 08:33 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swweet

how long will it take?
Old 10-31-16, 10:32 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by 87vertgt
swweet

how long will it take?
They estimated for about two weeks. I tell them to take their time, it's a big job and I've got a good loaner in the meantime.
Can't complain.
Old 10-31-16, 10:56 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by erichuang
They estimated for about two weeks. I tell them to take their time, it's a big job and I've got a good loaner in the meantime.
Can't complain.
Good that they are getting it fixed. Make sure you drive the car a bit more than usual once you get it back to make sure that sound is gone and everything works okay.
Old 10-31-16, 11:33 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Just curious why 3 cylinders were suffering from misfire. If they are rebuilding the engine, are they just replacing the Pistons and Rings? Because from what I understand there is a materials defect in the Engine Block itself. The cylinder sleeves are metallurgically defective and suffer from from premature wear.

Are the replacing your engine block because just replacing pistons or rings will not fix the issue if that is the reason your 3 cylinders were worn out.

Also, I am curious why they just don't replace the engine with a crated unit and why they would charge you for a Cam. I don't think the CAM is causing a rattle sound, it would be the gears? Charging you for a Cam makes no sense. I feel like they aren't being very honest with you charging you for a repair that is do to material defects in their products or part of a Recall.

I would seriously consider getting rid of the vehicle after the work has been completed. What's to prevent more failures.
Old 10-31-16, 11:40 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Just curious why 3 cylinders were suffering from misfire. If they are rebuilding the engine, are they just replacing the Pistons and Rings? Because from what I understand there is a materials defect in the Engine Block itself. The cylinder sleeves are metallurgically defective and suffer from from premature wear.

Are the replacing your engine block because just replacing pistons or rings will not fix the issue if that is the reason your 3 cylinders were worn out.

Also, I am curious why they just don't replace the engine with a crated unit and why they would charge you for a Cam. I don't think the CAM is causing a rattle sound, it would be the gears? Charging you for a Cam makes no sense. I feel like they aren't being very honest with you charging you for a repair that is do to material defects in their products or part of a Recall.

I would seriously consider getting rid of the vehicle after the work has been completed. What's to prevent more failures.
Well, they only charged me for the parts of the cam gear, I apologize for not stating that clearly. And my car is IS250 so there is no recall on the cam gears.
As for what exactly that will go down on my car, I believe they are doing it by the book.
Old 11-13-16, 08:23 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update~
I dropped my car for the engine rebuild two weeks ago and now my baby is back! (They gave me a 2015 RX450h as a loaner, so the two weeks wait was fine.)
Now, my car is running with a much better throttle response. I also asked them to replace the camshaft gears for me when they were at it, cost me $800 with extra hour of labor, but no more rattle sound at any starts~ Yeah!
However, the idling at low rpm issue is still there. I was suggested to clean the Idling Air Control(IAC) valve myself, I guess there is carbon build up there that wasn't addressed by the engine rebuild job. Anyhow, the car drives a lot more responsive now, and it's as smooth as I want it to be, except the idling...
Old 11-14-16, 07:06 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet !

what dealer? im gonna take mine there
Old 11-14-16, 11:51 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 87vertgt
sweet !

what dealer? im gonna take mine there
I went to Tom Wood Lexus, they are nice, but pricey labor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Startup Rattle Sound.