IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CNA warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 12:52 PM
wbwufpack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CNA warranty?

I recently purchased a 2009 IS350 (premium package w/ nav) with 60k miles. The car is in really good shape and has had the bulk of the service work performed by the dealer. During the purchase I elected to go with an extended warranty, CNA Preferred Care, that covers the car for 48 months or up to 108k. Roadside assistance is also included. The cost of the warranty was $2200.

Now that the initial rush of purchasing the car has worn off I am reconsidering the warranty. I have up to 30 days to cancel it and get my money back. I have called the local Lexus dealership to get a service advisors opinion on how difficult CNA is to work with, but they didn’t have much to offer. I know there are some industry folks on here and I would love to hear your opinion on extended warranties in general and any experiences specifically with CNA.

One of the reasons I chose the IS350 is because it is a relatively bullet proof car. If I had bought a 335 or an A4 then it would be a no brainer

What do you think CL? Cancel it or keep it just to have peace of mind?
Old 10-10-16, 01:12 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I was in your scenario when I bought my 2007 IS350 a couple weeks back. I haven't owned my car enough to really say go one way or another, but I will judge it like this: First off, make sure you know 100% exactly what the warranty covers. They will always say its for the whole car, but look up and ask specifics so if something does fail and you take it to them, they don't say 'this or that isn't actually covered'. Second, it is unlikely that you will have engine or transmission trouble as long as the car is serviced properly. I heard transmission might start to wear down after 160k miles (and really only that happens if the car is abused on a consistent basis). Really the main thing you have to worry about failing or falling apart in the IS350 are the nav touchscreen not working (which is a very expensive fix but tends to happen at higher mileages) and the dash rattles (its a reeeally stupid design. They hold the dash with like plastic pins instead of bolting it directly). Those are the two things you'll need to worry about most. The rattles are pretty common in these cars and there are a few DIY tutorials on these forums on how to deal with it instead of having the dealer remove the dash, fix it, and charge you $1000+. Personally I just got used to it. Its really annoying, but its not too big of a deal and definitely isn't worth spending $1k to fix at a dealer. I'm going to assume you know the vehicle history and have service records in case a problem was already addressed. If you see a lot of things that were fixed, then I'd check to see if the warranty covers those things just in case they fall apart again. If it does, go for it. If not, don't.

Just to summarize: Make sure you know what the warranty covers down to the last detail. The two biggest problems that you might need it for (and these only happen on some cars) are the dash rattles and the nav screen failing. If the warranty does cover the two biggest problems I mentioned, I'd give it a little more thought. If not, its not worth it really. Personally I think $2200 is pretty steep for a warranty (even if it lasts 4 years and 50k miles), but its your call.

Check this for the dash rattle DIY:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...have-pics.html
Old 10-10-16, 10:31 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I purchased an extended warranty for another car. It was different warranty company than CNA. It only covered the driveline, which I was told about up front. When i got the paperwork and read it, I discovered that all maintenance had to be performed by a licensed, certified shop as specified by the factory maintenance schedule. If I changed the oil myself, that voided the warranty. I cancelled it.
Old 10-11-16, 01:54 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I purchased an extended warranty for another car. It was different warranty company than CNA. It only covered the driveline, which I was told about up front. When i got the paperwork and read it, I discovered that all maintenance had to be performed by a licensed, certified shop as specified by the factory maintenance schedule. If I changed the oil myself, that voided the warranty. I cancelled it.
This is exactly why I absolutely despise any warranty that isn't from the factory. They cover only a few things (yeah, they are the most expensive parts but there is a very minimal chance of them failing) and if you so much as change the tires on your own it will void the warranty. If it covers electronics, it could be a bit more worth it, but really other than that there is no real reason to unless you just want absolute certainty on a few things.
Old 10-11-16, 05:58 PM
wbwufpack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does cover electronics, but I still don't think I can justify it. If the screen goes out it looks like it can be fixed or replaced for <$500 depending on which route I take. That is still $1700 less than the cost of the warranty. There is also this option to buy a refurbished unit.

http://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/200...8-60390_R.html

I am leaning towards cancelling.
Old 10-12-16, 03:05 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

don't buy it unless the extended warranty is from Lexus...
Old 10-12-16, 03:10 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

I can honestly say that CNA has the closest warranty to lexus. All I will say is that I am in the industry.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-16, 03:13 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Just remember, with your vehicle the most ive seen will be the front timing cover leaking a $3,000 + repair at a lexus dealership, navigation screen can/will go out, $2,000 plus replacement -- just for my sake I don't like "rebuilding" it. If you have that CNA coverage they will replace it. Rear axles on the IS as well as water pump and possible radiator replacement. Also every once in a little while there will be a transmission going out.
Old 10-12-16, 06:43 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I got a Lexus Platinum VSA for $1500 (when the deal was still going on). I use the warranty for about $1000 dealership repairs in 4 years (water pump and a TPMS). It will be expiring this month. My car is 65K miles.