Smell and see fumes from fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 05:15 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Smell and see fumes from fuel door

evening guys and gals,
recently I have noticed strong gas odor coming from the fuel door. When i crank up the car and look at it from my side mirrors, i can see the fumes escaping from the fuel door, sort of like that mirage effect when you're looking at something form a distance in hot weather. I can smell it it in my trunk, not as strong, but its there. very faint smell when i sniff my rear seats. don't smell it in the cabin, havent checked the engine bay yet. the smell being emitted does not smell like gasoline. im not a car guy, but the best way to describe it is sorta like a sour gas smell, got me nauseated pretty quick. no leaks on my driveway. I changed my gas cap, that helped slightly. i have 2006 is350. any thoughts, should I be worried?
Old 09-27-16, 05:35 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you may have a problem with your Vapor Canister Purge Valve/Solenoid. It needs to be fixed. I would think a check engine light would be flashing.

Here is a description from Rockauto:Also known as the Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid, the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve allows fuel vapor flow from the EVAP system. It transfers fuel vapors stored in the vapor canister into the engine's intake system by opening and closing as commanded by the engine's computer system. The solenoid is normally closed to prevent fuel vapors from entering the engine during a non-purge condition.

The vent solenoid, located near the EVAP canister inside a wheel well or under the vehicle near the fuel tank, usually fails before the purge solenoid. The purge solenoid will fail closed or will fail by sticking partially open illuminating a check engine light. When illuminated, common failure modes are:
  • Electrical failure of the purge valve control circuit
  • Electrical failure of the purge solenoid
  • Vacuum line leaks
  • Plugged vacuum line
Airtex Vapor Canister Purge Solenoids/Valves are an exact match of OE specificationsAlternate/OEM Part Number(s): 2283736, 258600S020, 2586031060, PV661

There are lots of videos on youtube on how to test and replace. Just do a search on Evap Canister or Evap Purge valve

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=310&jsn=310

Last edited by Mrfix; 09-27-16 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 09-27-16, 05:52 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Sounds like you may have a problem with your Vapor Canister Purge Valve/Solenoid. It needs to be fixed. I would think a check engine light would be flashing.

Here is a description from Rockauto:Also known as the Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid, the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve allows fuel vapor flow from the EVAP system. It transfers fuel vapors stored in the vapor canister into the engine's intake system by opening and closing as commanded by the engine's computer system. The solenoid is normally closed to prevent fuel vapors from entering the engine during a non-purge condition.

The vent solenoid, located near the EVAP canister inside a wheel well or under the vehicle near the fuel tank, usually fails before the purge solenoid. The purge solenoid will fail closed or will fail by sticking partially open illuminating a check engine light. When illuminated, common failure modes are:
  • Vacuum line leaks
  • Plugged vacuum line
Airtex Vapor Canister Purge Solenoids/Valves are an exact match of OE specificationsAlternate/OEM Part Number(s): 2283736, 258600S020, 2586031060, PV661

There are lots of videos on youtube on how to test and replace. Just do a search on Evap Canister or Evap Purge valve

good info, thank you. i forgot to mention theres no check engine light on, does that matter?
Old 09-27-16, 06:13 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Well I suppose the filter could be plugged but the Solenoid portion is working (opening and closing) but the gas vapor isn't flowing to your intake system to be purged out therefore finding a way out through your gas cap. This might not trigger a check engine light due to the Solenoid still working but the canister itself is plugged (I think there may be a small charcoal filter in there).

A lot of times when people overfill their gas tanks I have been told it can damage this Evap Canister/Purge Valve. That's why topping up isn't such a good idea.

I don't know how handy you are but I feel that it is not difficult to replace. Lexus will probably charge you several hundred dollars for a $57 part from Rockauto.
Old 09-28-16, 03:42 AM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Thanks for ur input. I will get that part ordered and have my buddy help me install it.
Old 09-28-16, 04:16 AM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Well I suppose the filter could be plugged but the Solenoid portion is working (opening and closing) but the gas vapor isn't flowing to your intake system to be purged out therefore finding a way out through your gas cap. This might not trigger a check engine light due to the Solenoid still working but the canister itself is plugged (I think there may be a small charcoal filter in there).

A lot of times when people overfill their gas tanks I have been told it can damage this Evap Canister/Purge Valve. That's why topping up isn't such a good idea.

I don't know how handy you are but I feel that it is not difficult to replace. Lexus will probably charge you several hundred dollars for a $57 part from Rockauto.
Is it safe to drive around with this type of leakage?
Old 09-29-16, 04:40 AM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Originally Posted by pmnuon79
Is it safe to drive around with this type of leakage?
So this leakage only happens after I put gas. I've never topped it off. I was driving around yesterday, no smell or anything. But as soon as I put some gas, it happened again.
Old 09-29-16, 06:14 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

So this leakage only happens after I put gas. I've never topped it off. I was driving around yesterday, no smell or anything. But as soon as I put some gas, it happened again.
There are only two places I can think of that the vapors from your tank are going to go. One is the Evap System and the other is out your gas cap.

Physically check your evap system and inspect it to find the problem.

Why not replace the Purge Valve or test it and see if that's your problem? If that is something you don't want to do then try another gas cap. It's a simple problem with only two possible solutions.

Last edited by Mrfix; 09-29-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:55 AM
pmnuon79
Rookie

There are only two places I can think of that the vapors from your tank are going to go. One is the Evap System and the other is out your gas cap.

Physically check your evap system and inspect it to find the problem.

Why not replace the Purge Valve or test it and see if that's your problem? If that is something you don't want to do then try another gas cap. It's a simple problem with only two possible solutions.
Already replaced cap sir, it helped a little bit. I'm curious as to why it only happens after I put gas in. Then the next day it's fine. Thanks for your help btw, I appreciate it.
Old 09-29-16, 12:52 PM
Pham25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

• Vacuum line leaks
  • Plugged vacuum line

correct me if im wrong, but the part yo are talking about is also referred to as a VSV or Vacuum Switching Valve? I used the part number to search for the part name. If so, I believe this part is located under the hood near the intake under the engine cover. There will be two hoses connected to it. One going to the canister and one going to the throttle. There should be a vacuum diagram sticker on the under side of the hood and its a really easy fix just unplug the part, remove the bolt and take off the two hoses and put the new part on.
Old 09-29-16, 02:26 PM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you smell the foul odor only after you've recently put gas in the car or is it ever present? I'd be giving the trunk a pretty thorough scrub.
Old 09-29-16, 05:54 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Already replaced cap sir, it helped a little bit. I'm curious as to why it only happens after I put gas in. Then the next day it's fine. Thanks for your help btw, I appreciate it.

The reason it happens when you put gas in is probably because you have more fuel creating more vapor and less room in the tank to store it so it vents. When you have 2 gallons of fuel in your tank it has more room to hold the vapor but when you fill it there is now less room to hold vapor and it finds its way out.

1000 gallons of gas will create more vapor than 1 gallon of gas. Also your tank can hold more vapor when it isn't full of gas.

This happens all the time across all manufacturers and models. It isn't that uncommon.

Here is a link from Scotty Kilmer about the issue you are experiencing.

Old 09-29-16, 09:36 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Originally Posted by CharonRega
Do you smell the foul odor only after you've recently put gas in the car or is it ever present? I'd be giving the trunk a pretty thorough scrub.
​​​ only after I put gas in my car, never top it off. The next day I drove around, no smell or fumes coming from behind fuel door, trunk area or rear seats

Last edited by pmnuon79; 09-29-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 09:41 PM
pmnuon79
Rookie

The reason it happens when you put gas in is probably because you have more fuel creating more vapor and less room in the tank to store it so it vents. When you have 2 gallons of fuel in your tank it has more room to hold the vapor but when you fill it there is now less room to hold vapor and it finds its way out.

1000 gallons of gas will create more vapor than 1 gallon of gas. Also your tank can hold more vapor when it isn't full of gas.

This happens all the time across all manufacturers and models. It isn't that uncommon.

How To Fix Large Evap Leaks On Your Car P0455 - YouTube
Good stuff, thanks man
Old 09-30-16, 08:51 AM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How To Fix Large Evap Leaks On Your Car P0455 - YouTube
You learn something new everyday! If this had happened to me, I'd honestly be terrified that I was basically driving around a bomb. Now if I ever see those fumes emanating from my gas tank, I won't be stressed...or not as much anyway. Thanks for the vid link!

Quick Reply: Smell and see fumes from fuel door