Headlight ballast issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 04:04 PM
ryanlabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight ballast issue

Hi all,

I"m super frustrated. First my passenger side headlight starting flickering and then would go out. It would come back on if I turned off the lights and back on. I figured it was just a bulb, so I changed it. The problem continued so I after looking further into it, people said it could be the ballast. I ordered an OEM ballast from the states and had a friend change it. Luckily he is a wizard of electronics because as he managed to disassemble the golf ball size connector that makes it impossible to remove from the interior of the headlight without taking apart the headlight.

On the way home, I purposely ran the headlights to ensure things were fixed. When I got home, I noticed the drivers side was now out. This side had no issues before. I then decided to change the drivers side bulb to match the passenger one I had changed before doing the ballast but it's still going out.

Could it be that I now have to change the drivers side ballast?? Why all of a sudden would it be faulty after changing the passenger side? Or do I potentially have a different problem all around? This is a real pain given the complexity of changing the passenger side ballast. I should have just changed them both while having all the bumper off etc.

On top of all of this, today, knowing I may still have a ballast issue on the drivers side, my AFS light started blinking out of nowhere. I unplugged the battery last night to do the bulb change (on the drivers side) which leads to things like having to reset the power windows etc. Could this be related to that?? Is there a reset for this too? Or is that related to my headlight ballast issue...

Arrrgggghhh! Thx in advance
Old 09-12-16, 08:13 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not uncommon that when one side goes out the other side goes dead with it. As for the AFS, give your AFS fuse a check.
Old 09-14-16, 11:58 AM
ryanlabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply jjc250.

Does it make sense that the other side never had issues before however? Does that mean that repairing the passenger side ended up by screwing up the driver side?

I'll check the fuse panel for the AFS, thx.