IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions about daily driving a 2IS

Old 09-15-16, 06:20 PM
idrivean8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily driving

1. I'm short. I have a friend who's 6'1" but like 200+ pounds--he's not very comfortable but it might have to do more with width than height.

2. Seat is comfy and soft. I actually prefer the BMW stiff seating to the Lexus, but I drive a ton, so softer makes more sense. Lumbar support is weak in my IS.

3. Steering is communicative enough, but I still prefer a BMW or my old RX-8's steering.

4. Yes, it's pretty quiet. I can't compare to an Accord, but my girlfriend's Civic is horrible compared to my car. Also, be careful of which tires you put on it, cuz that will add to any noise you may experience.

5. The interior is decidedly more upscale than the standard Toyota. I'm speaking to the white thread detail against a black leather and the walnut wood interior paneling. In addition, the 2IS has vinyl that doesn't look as cheap.

6. I have an IS 350 on Eibach springs and Koni "yellows." There's still tons of ride comfort. I'm comparing my experience to my RX-8, where I basically added in tower and strut bars, changed to Tein S-Tech springs on Tokico D shocks--I was driving on rails, but I felt every bump. My car's not even close to that, but it handles better than stock, has less body roll now, and I still have about the same amount of comfort.

7. I have never noticed my torque converter's power to tell you the truth. I think that means that it's fairly minimal and reasonable.

8. Not much. I'm thinking of moving onto a new GTI, but I'm hesitant about leaving my already paid-for car with more power. I'd say $12k (which is an unreasonable price for a 2009 IS350 with 140k miles).

9. It's a Lexus. The new IS350 F-sport might be tying the game with the 3series (or better), but this one wasn't close in terms of driveability. It's not a muted drive like a lot of other Lexuses, but it also doesn't have the same driver engagement as a BMW or a Mazda. That being said, it's still fun to drive in the mountains (after you remove the body roll).

10. It's not a cop magnet at all. And I have full tint. Probably helps that I don't have spikey hair or a loud exhaust though.

11. I wouldn't feel anything for the GS or LS, because those cars are completely different beasts. If someone pulls up in a 335i coupe--yes, I get envious, but not of the bigger GS or LS. I might get jealous of the RC. Then again, that car felt way too nose heavy for me.

12. I don't think I've ever driven it to the point where I would notice--but I'd stay more oversteery.

13. Not really--I love the way it looks and mine's fast enough (after hitting the power switch), but it's just not as fun as my old RX-8 (or my A4 quattro in the rain).