Check Engine light and "TRAC OFF" Signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 05:24 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine light and "TRAC OFF" Signals

Hey everybody,

I have a 2012 IS250 with 27,000 miles on the odometer. Roughly 2 hours ago, I was driving and waiting in a line, so I shut off the car for about 2-3 minutes and had the radio on. When I started the car again, two signals came on: the Check Engine light and another that says "TRAC OFF." I tried restarting the car a couple times but they didn't go away. I opened and closed the gas cap again but that didn't help. Any idea as to what the problem could be?

Also of note, the battery was changed in December of 2015 so I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Thanks
Old 09-07-16, 03:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

If you want to know your weight, do you post a picture of yourself in bathing attire on an Internet forum and ask everyone to guess, or do you find a scale and step on it? Same thing with a check engine light. Why guess, and why ask others to guess when you can go to your local auto parts store, ask them to read the codes for free?
Old 09-07-16, 09:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
If you want to know your weight, do you post a picture of yourself in bathing attire on an Internet forum and ask everyone to guess, or do you find a scale and step on it? Same thing with a check engine light. Why guess, and why ask others to guess when you can go to your local auto parts store, ask them to read the codes for free?
This type of response especially from a moderator reminds me of why I'm a BMW guy through and through. If I have a problem the community will jump over chairs to help, whereas Lexus people care so little about cars they'll act smart when you ask for help.

Have a nice day.
The following users liked this post:
joelbeatty (02-04-22)
Old 09-07-16, 11:27 AM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how its done there in New Jersey, but for "BrownPride", who could possibly be like myself, from California, auto parts stores DO NOT scan OBDII cars. Over here you need to go meineke, aamco or whatever where they charge you 80 bucks plus the usual "lexus premium" where they try and milk you for more because its "luxury". Or you go to the stealership where they do pretty much the same thing.

Originally Posted by BrownPride
This type of response especially from a moderator reminds me of why I'm a BMW guy through and through. If I have a problem the community will jump over chairs to help, whereas Lexus people care so little about cars they'll act smart when you ask for help.

Have a nice day.
When all these lights came on for me, my alternator was going out. Fixed that and all issues went away. you CAN go to an auto parts store and they CAN test your electrical system to see if your alternator is failing. For me, it was like that for like a week before my power steering went out and couldn't start the car. hope that helps
Old 09-07-16, 03:23 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Have a nice day.
I apologize if my comment sounded "smart"; it was meant to be funny. The check engine light means that one or more DTC codes have been logged, and it makes far more sense to read those codes than it does to speculate about what might be wrong.

Originally Posted by markjustus
I don't know how its done there in New Jersey, but for "BrownPride", who could possibly be like myself, from California, auto parts stores DO NOT scan OBDII cars. Over here you need to go meineke, aamco or whatever where they charge you 80 bucks plus the usual "lexus premium" where they try and milk you for more because its "luxury". Or you go to the stealership where they do pretty much the same thing.
Here in NJ, I know that AutoZone will read the codes for free, and I've heard that others do too. If nobody in your area does so, you can buy a code reader on Amazon for less than $15 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011Q18D14

Old 09-07-16, 03:39 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

My car did that, and it ended up being a Oxygen sensor. That's 1 of many potential issues though. I found out by going to AutoZone and having them read the code with their OBD device.
Old 09-07-16, 10:15 PM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Here in NJ, I know that AutoZone will read the codes for free, and I've heard that others do too. If nobody in your area does so, you can buy a code reader on Amazon for less than $15 [url
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011Q18D14[/url]
definitely an investment worth looking into

Originally Posted by msgs350
My car did that, and it ended up being a Oxygen sensor. That's 1 of many potential issues though. I found out by going to AutoZone and having them read the code with their OBD device.
damn, i didnt know these symptoms were real vague, lol california gets all the whack laws and regulations
Old 09-17-16, 06:30 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just looking at this thread myself. Will prolly go down the orad to me body shop to get scanned. Lexus folks are no different than BMW folks we help each other out best we can. BMW folks get better of course at helping with problems as they have ALOT more experience. We all just gloat over few repairs and headaches but the Europeans are getting better building more problem free cars.
Old 02-04-22, 07:35 PM
joelbeatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff makes me sick. How is it possible that an angry unhelpful pile of garbage is allowed to be a moderator on the Lexus website? How is this considered appropriate?

Lexus is supposed to be a company that offers high quality products and exceptional service.

This person should be banned from these forums. My vehicle is having this issue and I can’t find any help and then the god damn club Lexus website is just making me realize I made a mistake buying this ****ing car… what. The. ****?
Old 02-07-22, 08:43 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by joelbeatty
This stuff makes me sick. How is it possible that an angry unhelpful pile of garbage is allowed to be a moderator on the Lexus website? How is this considered appropriate?

Lexus is supposed to be a company that offers high quality products and exceptional service.

This person should be banned from these forums. My vehicle is having this issue and I can’t find any help and then the god damn club Lexus website is just making me realize I made a mistake buying this ****ing car… what. The. ****?
Welcome to Clublexus!
  • ClubLexus is not affiliated with Lexus Corporate in any way (at least not to my knowledge
  • The moderator's reply was harsh, but he had a point that we can't help anyone if they don't provide relevant info. CEL/Dash lights come on for multiple reasons so a scanner is your best bet to start troubleshooting
  • What car do you have (Model/Mileage)?
  • What codes have you been able to pull?
    • Auto parts store can do this for you for free if you don't have a scanner.
Old 02-07-22, 08:59 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Please see link:

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...ight-on-363509

You can also get a cheap OBD reader. It comes in vary handy for reading data.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pid-pack.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 02-07-22 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 01:59 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Or use your phone and an app. You'll need an OBD wifi or Bluetooth like an Elm327 for OBDII.

Apps are $10 plus $15 to 35 for the obd wireless connectivity.

Search for Torque Pro and OBD Fusion