IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Post Any Good Race You've Had!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 02:30 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes Infiniti G37 and Q50 sedans are also sleepers with their 3.7 V6 at 328hp. Now the Q50 has a new twin turbo V6 300hp.

Other notable fast normally aspirated sedans are the MBZ AMG sedans with the 6.2 V8 before they went to turbo. C63 E63 S63
Old 09-06-16, 06:15 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
That's an over exaggeration in my opinion. Idk about the Gallardo but after owning my IS350 for 2 years I do not agree. It's quick sure but I've lost to a g37 sedan a week ago from 0-60 at a light by about a car or so. I had a passenger where as he did not and I'm running less than ideal tires on the rear but still. Even if the IS350 is "the fastest NA v6 sedan in the world" it's not by very much if at all. And even then that's only in sub 80mph sprint's since our cars start losing their advantage above those speeds. So to say it's the fastest is incorrect in my opinion. Fastest from a dig all things equal? Maybe. From a roll? Nope... The 7AT in the G37 helps a lot and in my opinion should pull away from an IS350 at least on rolls to high speeds.
It's not necessarily an over exaggeration and there are other historical CL threads that provide numerous other examples of what impact the 2IS350 achieved when it made its debut (such as besting the 4.7L V8 Ford Mustang and the V8 Audi S4 back from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile back in 2006).

The 2IS350 unofficial title of being the "fastest NA six-cylinder sedan in the world" is implied to both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. This is similar to the title carried by the 2nd Gen Lexus GS400 when it was once declared as the "fastest production sedan in the world". Yes, the gearing of the 2IS350 favors low-end acceleration over top end speed (which might be attributed to the Lexus Chief Engineer, Suguya Fukusato, being a former rally car driver). Perhaps the better title would be quickest instead of fastest.

I wonder what my car would do if I had proper tires along with headers and tune..?
Your show car set-up with the extremely low suspension/ blingy wheels/ stretched tires are likely wrecking havoc on the acceleration of your IS350. You should definitely consider changing your configuration to something closer to OEM and try racing again as it can make a huge difference.
Old 09-07-16, 07:29 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only 1 race I had done was with the Tune I got from RR. It was late at night on an empty bridge (Living in NYC there are like 4 bridges that are toll free here). Bridges here are 2 lanes, so I was just pulling up next to an EvoX, and for some reason we both just gunned it from the start of the bridge. I just wanted to test the tune out since I have yet an opportunity to really WOT it. I was able to keep up for a little bit but he ended up pulling away from me. When I caught up I asked him his specs and he said he was doing around 320 To the wheel. Given my car was 290 to the wheel, Thought it was a pretty impressive run knowing he had 30 horses on me and I was able to almost match him. But then again I can blame the altitude of the bridge (NA vs Turbo)
Old 09-07-16, 02:52 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
[/I]Your show car set-up with the extremely low suspension/ blingy wheels/ stretched tires are likely wrecking havoc on the acceleration of your IS350. You should definitely consider changing your configuration to something closer to OEM and try racing again as it can make a huge difference.
True, my skinnier tires probably are doing something negative to the acceleration of the car but if anything that should only be more apparent from a dig. From a roll the car has plenty of traction. Also my "blingy wheels" weigh about 20lbs less a set than OEM wheels. So if anything there helpful not harmful. I've also made a thread on ClubLexus before asking about if having my car real low makes my car accelerate slower. To my surprise the overall response was that no it does not in fact harm acceleration, but only handling since I can't properly turn my wheels all the left or right without rubbing lol.

All I'm saying is that yeah the is350 is quick. Hell, that's one of the reasons why I bought it, because I love an unassuming car that's actually quicker than people tend to think (a sleeper I guess). But it's not quick enough to easily beat our competitors either. There are a lot of variables when it comes to racing, especially on the street. And from what I can gather the is350 should only have the leg up on the competition assuming both drivers take off at the EXACT same time, have only one person in the car with no extra weight penalties, and the race is from a dig or low speed. Because as we all know the is350 just falls on its face at high speed. That being said I love my Lexus and I'm glad I chose this over an Infiniti, Acura, etc.. But please don't get carried away guys... That's how you get your feelings hurt in a race lol.
Old 09-07-16, 03:59 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I "raced" a new Vette Grand Sport at a light the other day; funny thing was he didn't know he was to race me. LOL! Let's just say I won. Got to the speed limit...and rather quickly might I add. Started seeing him creep up behind me. When he almost got beside me, he gunned it and probably hit 100 in a 45. Guessing he didn't take kindly to my "win".
Old 09-07-16, 04:03 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
I "raced" a new Vette Grand Sport at a light the other day; funny thing was he didn't know he was to race me. LOL! Let's just say I won. Got to the speed limit...and rather quickly might I add. Started seeing him creep up behind me. When he almost got beside me, he gunned it and probably hit 100 in a 45. Guessing he didn't take kindly to my "win".
I bet he thought he was so fast too. But little did he know that your is350 was there to put the hurt on him lol.
Old 09-08-16, 09:15 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

On my way home this past long weekend I had some fun with an RX-8 on the highway.. going 120km/hr I would pull up to almost 200km/hr - safe to say he couldn't hang lol
Old 09-08-16, 09:58 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanO
On my way home this past long weekend I had some fun with an RX-8 on the highway.. going 120km/hr I would pull up to almost 200km/hr - safe to say he couldn't hang lol
Technically not even a fair race.
RX8 are not tunable like the Rx7.
Rx8 Rotary engine produces 40 less Crank HP. Its like racing a TL, Accord, 328.

Its obvious youll win
Old 09-09-16, 09:46 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I looked up the specs on them when i got home and wasn't very impressed haha
Old 09-09-16, 10:52 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Old 09-09-16, 10:55 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
LOL!!!! Fast and furious always understands us true street racers. Body kits, neons, and bank heists for the win!!
Old 09-10-16, 03:25 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Winning is winning! LOL!
Old 09-11-16, 07:36 AM
The350Girl
Driver

On another note, if you guys want a real sleeper just get an ISF Tons of people have no idea they even exist or think they are v6 F sports. So when you smoke them with that big burly V8 you know they'll be surprised!!
Agreed ! in Canada most people don't know what an ISF is, they always thinks oh it's a Lexus IS lol , i smoked all BWM and Mercedes V6 Engine except for M series and AMG the V8. Hyundai didn't even have chance to catch up even with 3.7L Genesis Coupe. My 350 is bone stock !
Old 09-12-16, 07:40 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On another note, if you guys want a real sleeper just get an ISF Tons of people have no idea they even exist or think they are v6 F sports. So when you smoke them with that big burly V8 you know they'll be surprised!!
most race are from stop light to stop light.
Old 09-12-16, 07:45 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MWIS350
most race are from stop light to stop light.
Yup, and the ISF is faster still. Not sure what was your point?

Quick Reply: Post Any Good Race You've Had!