IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Plasti-dip or wrap the front lip and prep needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 11:48 AM
Todd Edge
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plasti-dip or wrap the front lip and prep needed?

My OEM front lip is riddled with rock chips. I have decided to either wrap it(carbon fiber) or plasti-dip it(black). Some of the rock chips are pretty large. Do I need to fill these with body filler so that the plasti-dip doesn't show them or will the plasti-dip coat thick enough to hide them? I haven't had the car on the lift in some time and can't recall how the lip is mounted. Is it a simple process to remove the lip only?

Has anyone plasti-dipped or wrapped their OEM front lip? If so, any pictures you can post? My car is purely a driver for work to and from client sites and to the airport. I'm not looking to swap in an expensive lip for a car that is my daily.

Thanks - Todd
Old 08-04-16, 11:10 AM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd Edge
My OEM front lip is riddled with rock chips. I have decided to either wrap it(carbon fiber) or plasti-dip it(black). Some of the rock chips are pretty large. Do I need to fill these with body filler so that the plasti-dip doesn't show them or will the plasti-dip coat thick enough to hide them? I haven't had the car on the lift in some time and can't recall how the lip is mounted. Is it a simple process to remove the lip only?

Has anyone plasti-dipped or wrapped their OEM front lip? If so, any pictures you can post? My car is purely a driver for work to and from client sites and to the airport. I'm not looking to swap in an expensive lip for a car that is my daily.

Thanks - Todd
You will need body filler for either method.
Vinyl does not adhere to primer.
Old 08-04-16, 01:32 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never plasti dipped a bumper before - but from what I now and have done to these rims - plasti dip will pretty well go over anything.. not sure how big your rock chips are but plasti dip will fill in most gaps.. i guess its a matter of how picky you want to be with how it looks.