IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission flush at 166k on an IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 06:39 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Transmission flush at 166k on an IS350

Good idea? Bad idea? I have noticed the lower few gears are not the smoothest shifting, works fine. Its an 06 IS350 that has 166k miles. The dealer can do it for about 200 bucks. I read they were recommending a trans flush every 100k with the sealed trannies.

Anybody have it done with higher miles?

Thanks
Old 07-26-16, 03:16 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Before doing all that, try just disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to fully reset the car. Reconnect, then drive the car like you would on a daily basis. This is forcing the vehicle's systems to reboot and force it to re-learn new parameters, which could possibly lead to a smoother shifting trans.

Report back after you've done this and give it a few days. Let us know if it helped!
Old 07-26-16, 07:11 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Before doing all that, try just disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to fully reset the car. Reconnect, then drive the car like you would on a daily basis. This is forcing the vehicle's systems to reboot and force it to re-learn new parameters, which could possibly lead to a smoother shifting trans.

Report back after you've done this and give it a few days. Let us know if it helped!
Called my dealer, they don't even flush the transmissions out here. Lame.

Anyways, i'll try disconnecting the battery but I'm fairly certain it won't change it. The trans shifting feels very normal, just a little more "sporty" with the jerk and all. I'll just leave it.

Thanks
Old 07-26-16, 07:35 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro, is there any new problem with the transmission after Filter change and flush ? my mech friend keep refusing to replace trans filter on my IS, he won't answer me why he keep saying nobody replace filter, he said he worry if there will be problem after. have you done replacing trans filter ? any problem after ?
Old 07-26-16, 09:19 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide

Thanks
I think you might want to order a new replacement Oil Strainer, pan gasket, and 2 quarts of fluids.

i found this link with good oil capacities for the a760e.
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...+LEXUS+IS350+I

Let me know if they take your order.
Old 07-26-16, 09:40 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyways, i'll try disconnecting the battery but I'm fairly certain it won't change it. The trans shifting feels very normal, just a little more "sporty" with the jerk and all. I'll just leave it.

Thanks
Try Toyota dealer it's also little cheaper too.
Old 07-26-16, 10:29 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed quite the opposite, when they replaced by maf sensor they unplugged the battery to reset ecu. After this I noticed the shifting is a little different now and I preferred it the way it was before because it already learned my driving style. Now it has to re learn it and the shifts are not as smooth. Don't get me wrong it's nothing too noticeable, not like if the tranny was going out but there is a slight difference and only now after a couple weeks it's going back to how I like it.
Old 07-27-16, 12:05 AM
finewayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this could be the reference too for oil capacity, hope this will help

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-oil-capacity/

Old 07-27-16, 05:10 PM
that1mienb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

My IS350 is at 15XXXX. probably close to 160k and it feels like that too the first few gears. a little jerk
Ive changed the transmission filter on my own before white i did a drain and fill and everything seems fine but it didnt take away the jerk..
then a few months later i took it to toyota and did a "transmission flush" and i forgot how much it was exactly but i think around 300 maybe.
Was too lazy too recheck the fluid myself to see if they had actually flushed the fluid and see if its new fluid
Its been about almost a year now and i still feel the jerk but it works fine also..
maybe i can try that battery trick again
Old 07-27-16, 07:56 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by that1mienb
My IS350 is at 15XXXX. probably close to 160k and it feels like that too the first few gears. a little jerk
Ive changed the transmission filter on my own before white i did a drain and fill and everything seems fine but it didnt take away the jerk..
then a few months later i took it to toyota and did a "transmission flush" and i forgot how much it was exactly but i think around 300 maybe.
Was too lazy too recheck the fluid myself to see if they had actually flushed the fluid and see if its new fluid
Its been about almost a year now and i still feel the jerk but it works fine also..
maybe i can try that battery trick again
You sure it's not just the regular jerk from 1st to 2nd that the car normally has due to supper aggressive gearing
Old 07-28-16, 08:47 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks
Try a Toyota dealership; they do the exact same service and use the exact same equipment.

Let us know what happens if you end up disconnecting the battery. The key is to immediately go out for a drive after its been reconnected.

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
Bro, is there any new problem with the transmission after Filter change and flush ? my mech friend keep refusing to replace trans filter on my IS, he won't answer me why he keep saying nobody replace filter, he said he worry if there will be problem after. have you done replacing trans filter ? any problem after ?
I've not touched my trans...yet; but their worry is that there is already unrepairable damage to the trans and a filter won't do anything is my guess.

Originally Posted by P128sniper
I've noticed quite the opposite, when they replaced by maf sensor they unplugged the battery to reset ecu. After this I noticed the shifting is a little different now and I preferred it the way it was before because it already learned my driving style. Now it has to re learn it and the shifts are not as smooth. Don't get me wrong it's nothing too noticeable, not like if the tranny was going out but there is a slight difference and only now after a couple weeks it's going back to how I like it.
Did the technician drive the car after the fix to ensure the repair worked? That would affect it. Also, if you immediately hop onto say a freeway right after being disconnected, that might not help things either. The key is to immediately drive the car as you would normally every day after reconnecting. It doesn't take but a few minutes for it to re-learn and adapt.
Old 07-28-16, 06:38 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Not sure if this will help but here is my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html

I'm coming up on 150k now.