Lexus IS 220D 2006 - Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 01:46 AM
Tupsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS 220D 2006 - Daytime running lights

Hello every,

As topic says, I have Lexus IS 220d 2006 with automatic light controll. I bought this car from Germany and drove to my home country Finland. However on the daytime there's no lights on at all. In Finland we have to use drl or low beams, even on daytime and I'm sick of switching headlights on everytime I launch the car. When gets dark outside, it will automatically switch normal headlights on (halogen) (if it's on AUTO position)

So what would be the best and easiest option to add automatic drl to my car? Idea is that when I launch the car on the daytime, I can leave the lightswitch to AUTO and it will automatically turn DRL on and when it's dark outside, it will shut down the drl and turn on the normal halogen headlights.

I have read couple topics regarding those DRL highbeam/led mod. However, I guess it doesn't chance the function, how lights will behave.

Willing to spend around 50$/€/£ for this. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Old 07-13-16, 06:39 AM
Luciano390
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tupsu
Hello every,

As topic says, I have Lexus IS 220d 2006 with automatic light controll. I bought this car from Germany and drove to my home country Finland. However on the daytime there's no lights on at all. In Finland we have to use drl or low beams, even on daytime and I'm sick of switching headlights on everytime I launch the car. When gets dark outside, it will automatically switch normal headlights on (halogen) (if it's on AUTO position)

So what would be the best and easiest option to add automatic drl to my car? Idea is that when I launch the car on the daytime, I can leave the lightswitch to AUTO and it will automatically turn DRL on and when it's dark outside, it will shut down the drl and turn on the normal halogen headlights.

I have read couple topics regarding those DRL highbeam/led mod. However, I guess it doesn't chance the function, how lights will behave.

Willing to spend around 50$/€/£ for this. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
I got fast "solution" for you. Get black tape or whatever that will not let the sun rays reach light sensor. It is placed nearby windshield blower. The car will always turn on lights on auto. Because it thinks that it is night. You just have to adjust backlight of instrument cluster when driving during the day to higher brightness.

I am facing the same problem as you so I am looking forward to next answers...
Old 07-13-16, 06:57 AM
Tupsu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luciano390
I got fast "solution" for you. Get black tape or whatever that will not let the sun rays reach light sensor. It is placed nearby windshield blower. The car will always turn on lights on auto. Because it thinks that it is night. You just have to adjust backlight of instrument cluster when driving during the day to higher brightness.

I am facing the same problem as you so I am looking forward to next answers...
Thanks for reply. Will do that while waiting proper solution
Old 07-13-16, 07:13 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Why would you leave the control on "auto" with black tape over the sensor, as opposed to just leaving the control in the "on" position?
Old 07-13-16, 07:20 AM
Luciano390
Driver School Candidate

I have IS 250 (2007) and it is not able to turn off the lights automatically when leaving the car with control in the "on" position ... That is why I used tape and auto position...
Old 07-13-16, 07:26 AM
Tupsu
Driver School Candidate

I have IS 250 (2007) and it is not able to turn off the lights automatically when leaving the car with control in the "on" position ... That is why I used tape and auto position...
This. It doesn't shut off the lights when the control is the "ON" position. Also it starts beebing if you for example, open a door. Very annoying.
Old 07-13-16, 07:29 AM
Luciano390
Driver School Candidate

Tape will definitelly solve your issue till the time of proper solution
Old 07-13-16, 08:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I understand, and assume that European spec models must be different than the north American model. On our side of the pond, I'm pretty certain that it turns off the lights after the pre-set delay (e.g. 2 minutes) when you turn the car off, even with the switch in the "on" position; I'll often switch from "auto" to "on" because NJ has a law that requires that the lights be on whenever the wipers are operating.