IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Coin dropped and lodged inside the center console area

Old 06-19-16, 07:40 PM
nomisme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coin dropped and lodged inside the center console area

Hey guys,

Yesterday I did house keeping /car washing for my car. When I picked up a bag of coins, a couple of them fell down to the gap of the coffee holder (lid open) in the center console area (attached photo). I used a flash light and saw a couple of them lodged inside but I could not get access to it. I did not pay attention to it until today morning.

After I pulled my gear shift to D and released my brake, I felt like my car was stunted a bit and heard a coin falling sound ( I did not remember which came first). Everything was normal afterwards.

My question is if I can ignore those coins? Do they have a chance to migrate to where it will cause mechanical damage? Where are they likely to fall onto?

If it causes damages, will lexus provide free maintenance due to design flaws?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Coin dropped and lodged inside the center console area-lodge.png  
Old 06-19-16, 08:49 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not sure about if that would cause mechanical damage, but it's pretty easy to get inside there. You need to unscrew the top of the shift stick, pull off the silver side panels on each side, push in the ashtray, move back the center armrest, then you can pull that whole piece up.
Old 06-19-16, 11:06 PM
nomisme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I'm not sure about if that would cause mechanical damage, but it's pretty easy to get inside there. You need to unscrew the top of the shift stick, pull off the silver side panels on each side, push in the ashtray, move back the center armrest, then you can pull that whole piece up.
I took them off today and was managed to remove a few coins. There was one I saw that was particularly annoying. It was on the edge of gear shift slot which was very wide. I wonder if there were a few coins that got their way down the slot.
Old 06-20-16, 08:10 AM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomisme
I took them off today and was managed to remove a few coins. There was one I saw that was particularly annoying. It was on the edge of gear shift slot which was very wide. I wonder if there were a few coins that got their way down the slot.
You're fine dude. My shift boot (6spd) had fallen out due to broken tabs that hold it up. I've dropped lighters in there and my car functions fine. I've actually taken the entire centre console out and can't see anything that can effect your driving other than your shifter assembly but you dropped your coins closer to the centre compartment.