IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 09:32 PM
KC2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istarzan
What zone are you guys in? I'm in zone 3 I think. NC. Received no notice about the air bag. I think Lexus is working up from zone 4. FYI, it also depends on how old your car is. They consider high risk of airbag deterioration after 10 years. My 07 was right at the mark.
There are three zones: A, B, and C. Details are here (the second map, towards the bottom of the page): http://www.toyota.com/recall/takata You're right that they're targeting the states with higher humidity first so NC should be in the second phase.

I guess I should call the local dealer soon to find out how they will prioritize my '07—it lived its first 7 years in GA and its most recent ~3 years in PA—I'd assume my vehicle is at higher risk than one that has spent all its time in a Zone B state.
Old 03-01-17, 05:05 AM
Drivers408
Driver School Candidate

I just tried to set an appointment through texting service with the Lexus dealer here in Orlando and they said they still haven't gotten a remidy yet and will send me a letter when it's available. What kind of bs is that!! I'm going to call them today to make sure that's correct.
Old 03-01-17, 11:51 AM
Macklock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zynthe
I live in Canada and also emailed Lexus Corporate as well as my dealership in my area and got the same message as other fellow owners here north of the border. They are not aware of any recall notices on my vehicle. I live around the GTA and this heat and humidity is starting to make me fell uncomfortable driving my friends around in the front passenger seat.

Any idea when Canada will actually acknowledge this recall? Ive read that ppl in the US can get rentals, but up here they are giving fellow Lexus owners nothing.... I havent even received a letter letting me that our airbags are affected.

Has anyone received a letter from Lexus in Canada? If I dont get a letter and say my airbag explodes and injures someone, are they liable?

Anyone from Canada got the recall letter of notice yet. I got mine in the mail yesterday. Just wondering the dealership will provide me with a rental while waiting on the parts to surface. I'm in the greater Toronto area.
Old 03-01-17, 01:07 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Got another two calls today from Lexus of New Orleans. Man these guys are pushy to get me out of a loaner car. I expressed to them I'll be out of town this week and next. Service advisor said, where's the rental? I can have someone pick it up from your home. It's costing Lexus a lot of money.......
And? Not my dime or yours Lexus dealer, why the pushy approach?
Old 03-01-17, 02:46 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06350F
Got another two calls today from Lexus of New Orleans. Man these guys are pushy to get me out of a loaner car. I expressed to them I'll be out of town this week and next. Service advisor said, where's the rental? I can have someone pick it up from your home. It's costing Lexus a lot of money.......
And? Not my dime or yours Lexus dealer, why the pushy approach?
I'm pretty sure corporate is pushing the dealers. I heard it cost Lexus $1000 a month for some rentals..
Old 03-01-17, 04:47 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istarzan
I'm pretty sure corporate is pushing the dealers. I heard it cost Lexus $1000 a month for some rentals..
Don't worry. Just keep it as long as you like.
Toyota will be reimbursed by Tarkata by the hundred of millions.
The case is settled I've heard.
Old 03-01-17, 05:34 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my lexus guy just texted me about this before the letter went out and set an appointment=) gotta love New Port Lexus
Old 03-01-17, 06:54 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

just got a call from my dealership, going in on 4/1!
Old 03-02-17, 06:55 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Got a call a few days ago that mine was in. Going in tomorrow.
Old 03-02-17, 11:57 AM
aduff415
Driver School Candidate

Question to those who are getting calls to schedule appointments. Do you currently have a rental car? i have had mine for about 6 months now. Which is costing Lexus 1050 dollars a month per the rental agreement.
Old 03-02-17, 12:11 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When will they have a remedy for ES 350

I have an ES 350 2008 and live in SC. My 17 year old daughter drives this car. I am getting a rental this Saturday that Lexus will pay 1,000 dollars a month for, I will have to drive the rental since my daughter can't and she will drive my brand new Lexus. I cannot believe that they still don't have a fix for the ES. My son's 2008 Honda Accord has been fixed for months now. What is wrong with Lexus that they are so far behind on getting these cars fixed. According the the NHTSB website, there was a third amendment on 12/9/16 that "Amended Priority Groups". They have given a date of 03/31/2017 as the date that car manufacturers have to have a "sufficient supply and remedy launch" by this date. I also, don't understand why they are fixing 2011 and 2012 IS models when you have ES models that are much older and age and geographic location determines how the airbag can break down. My dealership is nice but admits that Lexus is not telling them anything and of course you only get the run around when you call the customer service line. I have already made two complaints on the NHTSB site about the lack of remedy for this situation. It has been almost 10 months since I got the recall. This is not like putting a man on the moon. The don't even have a solution to my car yet!
Old 03-02-17, 12:45 PM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just called a local Bay Area dealer. First thing they asked "Are you in a rental?" I reply "no". Then they tell me "ok we'll put you on a waiting list."... Got a feeling they are prioritizing those that are in a rental.. Not a good thing in my opinion. It really should be first come first served. Plus my '06's airbag canister is way past the degradation point as Takata states. They said a month ago to check back. Now they tell me I'll be on a waiting list and perhaps won't hear back months from now!?!?
Old 03-02-17, 12:52 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not right. The older cars should be fixed first. According to the NHTSB on the amended order on 12/9/16" no car manufacturer may fix one priority group ahead of another" There is a reason why there are Priority Groups. 5nX37 check your Priority Group. I am sure you are one of the top groups. Let your dealership know this. Make a complaint to the NHTSB on their website or call them. It seems as if Lexus is Prioritizing by who has a rental. They are not allowed to do this.
Old 03-02-17, 02:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

No rental for me. And got my airbag replaced today.
Old 03-02-17, 02:46 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got the call today. Told them I'm moving and I scheduled for 1 week to return the rental and come in. They said it'll take 4 hours and they can put me in a Lexus loaner. Bummer. Hadn't really had a chance to enjoy the convertible.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.