IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Poor-ish performance with aftermarket sub

Old 05-09-16, 06:42 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor-ish performance with aftermarket sub

Hey guy, it's been a long time since I've posted. I started off with a 06' IS350, then a '08 ISF, now I'm back with a '07 350. I would like to keep this car for a while so I've decided to install my stereo I used to use back in the days.

Setup:

1 Orion 1200D (1200 watts RMS @ 1 ohm)
2 12" Alpine Type R's @ 1ohm in 3.5 cubic foot box tuned to 32 Hz

At the moment I am using a cheap Scosche 4 Channel Hi-low Pass convertor tied into the Sub Channels on the factory amp. I know some people suggested that you should hook up to the sub output while others have suggested one front door woofer and sub. My issue is that I am missing that low bass you feel, I have left my amp settings from my previous setup. Here are my thoughts:

1) Buy a lc2i....Will this change the low bass I am missing? (bass is not rolling off at higher volumes)
2) Use the multimeter to check the gain and adjust (considering the old deck had 5v pre outs vs now the hi low convertor came with the gain adjustment mazed out and i left it)
3) Try a different connection like front door woofer (the factory amp apparently lets the subs down to 35hz?)

The Bass literally distorted my vision on my old setup, but now its only kind of loud, At higher volumes the bass does not roll off and I am missing that low bass you feel... I know it could be much louder. So I am thinking that either I have to adjust the gain a bit higher or use an lc2i.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-10-16, 08:56 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if anyone or you know what is the frequency range from the sub output? I'm guessing this might be the problem. You can try to take signal from the rear speaker and see if that would make a difference.
Old 05-10-16, 09:54 AM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said ^

Also check your low pass filter on your amp. What db or range is your lpf set to?

What did you tap into btw? The rear amp or do you have the ml amp?

Also, scoche is **** for sound quality. I have the lc2i and my friend is running some walmart 30 dollar line out and the it seems the scoche loc cant output lows and highs, like what youre describing.

Last edited by top5; 05-10-16 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 10:05 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by top5
What he said ^

Also check your low pass filter on your amp. What db or range is your lpf set to?

What did you tap into btw? The rear amp or do you have the ml amp?

Also, scoche is **** for sound quality. I have the lc2i and my friend is running some walmart 30 dollar line out and the it seems the scoche loc cant output lows and highs, like what youre describing.
I can confirm the scoche is **** for sound quality. I have one and I am also unable to get the low and highs.

I will be switching up LOC's soon.
Old 05-10-16, 01:43 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

So did you use this exact same setup in the IS-F? If so, there should be no difference. I'd re-check all connections and grounds.
Old 05-10-16, 02:27 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

All the processing is done in the amp. I'm guessing the amp is only sending a small bandwidth of frequency via the sub output from the stock amp. The LC2 is a great unit and you should seriously considered it. Also, as mentioned above, check all connections and crossover on sub amp. However, if for example the stock amp is only sending 50hz to maybe 80-90hz, you will be missing a lot of the lower frequencies. Another great option, is to get a processor, but this requires a lot of know how and tuning.
I would get the signal from the rear speaker and if it solves the problem, then you know that it's the bad signal from the stock amp. Just my 2cent.
Old 05-10-16, 02:30 PM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Random question but when you add subs, do you disconnect the OEM subs? Or are they both powered?

What issues would arise if the oem sub is not disocnnected?
Old 05-10-16, 02:50 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update if it helps.....

1) My LPF is set to 80hz with a 12db slope and High-Pass subsonic filter is set to 33hz with 3db of Bass Boost so in theory by removing low frequency signal that the woofer cannot produce, the woofer can play its capable range louder

2) Stock NON-ML amp.Tapped into the sub channels (2 because its the non ml)

3) I never had the setup in my ISF.. Only in a car with aftermarket deck. Think along the lines of a Pioneer Premier series.

Do you guys really think Lexus would send lower frequencies to the rear speakers vs the Subs?

@ Zynthe I left my factory sub connected because I am lazy. Some people disconnected theres because to them it sounds better. You are not powering aftermarket subs on the factory amp so there should be no problems.

I am thinking the Sub output on the factory can play the low frequency's but at higher volumes it attenuates the signal so much the cheap line output convertor cannot reproduce it like top5 and Zynthe said.

@ SQLnovice I am considering the LC2i before I try the rear outputs because as you know its a PITA to get to the wires at the amp..
Old 05-10-16, 04:10 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

It's not impossible that they would send or some manufacturer to send a full range signal (20hz to 20khz). I don't know how the frequency is divided via the output of the factory non ML amp. It would be nice if someone has and oscilloscope to test it.
I decide to spend the $$ and get that beat sonic interface and I already replace the factory non ML head unit with a pioneer 4200NEX. My next upgrade, is adding a processor (either the MS-8 or the Helix) I should start those this weekend. I didn't want to deal with the stock system because of the limitations.
I hope you get that taken care of and keep us posted.