IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need major help with Nav/Keyless/YAW Rate Sensor among other things

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 04:28 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need major help with Nav/Keyless/YAW Rate Sensor etc... REWARD for answers!

Ok, so my wife cosigned for a new 2011 IS250 for her sister. Long story short, we ended up repoing the car from her and are now in possession of it. I've never seen a car more beat up. The body has over $5k in damage to it, and the inside looks like crap as well. We figured we would make the best of a bad situation, and I would start driving the car and slowly fix the little things to make it safe and drive-able.

The main hurdle before that could happen was to fix the navigation screen because someone had decided to punch it. the digitizer and lcd were completely shattered. So I found a shop in California who fixes IS navigation screens, took the unit out and shipped it to them. Prior to this, there were no warning lights on the dash of any kind. One of the buttons for the A/C controls was messed up, so they replaced the faceplate as well as the lcd. I received the navigation unit back and am now experiencing all kinds of issues. I've checked all 4 fuses box locations.

1. The keyfob buttons and keyless entry on the doors no longer work. I can still start the car with the keyfob in the car (I don't have to even touch the start button with the fob is the weird part), but I can't lock it with the fob or the button on the door. When I close the door, the car beeps 3 times. I don't keep anything valuable in the car, but my main gripe with this is that the car battery will run low as it is constantly saying Key Not Detected on the cluster.

2. The lights for the buttons on the navigation unit don't light up. I can't tell if the ac is on circulate or not, and I can't see the buttons at night to change the screen from Climate to Audio etc etc. This might have been an issue prior to the Nav replacement, I'm not sure. The lights on the bottom CD unit do work.

3. If the car battery is fully charged or if I jump it from another car, the ABS light and Slip Indicator light come on. I have tested it, and when these lights are on, neither item works. The oddest part of this one is that when the car battery is low after sitting for 10-12 hours and barely starts, the lights stay off, and I have working ABS and traction control. I have a buddy who owns one of the good scan tools, and when the error is present, it said something about the Yaw Rate Sensor communication failure. When the lights are off, no errors are present.

My thoughts for a few of these things was a possible ground issue, I've checked the one I could find in the engine bay, but I'm not sure if perhaps I missed one taking the nav unit out. Other than that, I'm dumbfounded.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'm all ears. If your suggestion fixes something, I'll shoot you some PayPal money.

Thanks
Erik

Last edited by burritoboy; 04-13-16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 04:57 PM
supraman6
Rookie

you stated that your sister cosigned for a "new" 2011 is250, did your sister in law get this car new? Because if she did that much damage. WOW.

1. you never have to touch the key fob to anything not even the start button. It's a proximity thing. As long as it's in the car it should start.

2. as for your electrical issues someone with more knowledge will have to respond, but I would leave the negative battery cable unplugged while it's sitting so it doesn't go dead.

Jeff
Old 04-12-16, 06:01 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by supraman6
you stated that your sister cosigned for a "new" 2011 is250, did your sister in law get this car new? Because if she did that much damage. WOW.

1. you never have to touch the key fob to anything not even the start button. It's a proximity thing. As long as it's in the car it should start.

2. as for your electrical issues someone with more knowledge will have to respond, but I would leave the negative battery cable unplugged while it's sitting so it doesn't go dead.

Jeff
Thanks for the reply, Yes she bought the car new, it currently has around 90k miles on it.

In regards to the key fob, I mainly said that so someone wouldn't assume it was a dead battery as from what I've read you can start the car if the fob battery is dead by touching the key to the start button.
Old 04-14-16, 01:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

So I'd first start by removing the "fixed" NAV unit and see if the problems persists.

Are you stating that ALL of these issues arose AFTER you installed the "fixed" NAV unit back into the car?

Before then, were these issues present?
Old 04-14-16, 03:11 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
So I'd first start by removing the "fixed" NAV unit and see if the problems persists.

Are you stating that ALL of these issues arose AFTER you installed the "fixed" NAV unit back into the car?

Before then, were these issues present?
OOPS! That reminds me, I forgot a crucial bit of info. If I leave a certain connector off the back of the Navigation unit, the key fob works. I'll take a picture over the next few days of which connector it is but it's one on the actual nav unit on the right side looking at the rear of it (it's the connector that makes the unit power up if that helps). I'm not 100% sure the buttons not lighting up was like that before, but I know there wasn't an ABS light and slip indicator light on previously, but not sure how those could be related.

Thanks again!
Old 04-14-16, 05:46 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

Oh OOPS! That reminds me, when I unplug a certain cable from the back of the Nav unit, the key fob works (I believe it's the connector that provides power as the Nav turns on when I plug it in). Sorry, tried so many different things, I forgot that key detail, lol. The backlights on the Nav might have been present previously, but maybe not. I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-16, 11:01 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

1. Did you fully check to see is there any key fob inside the car. you won't be able to lock your car is there is a keyfob inside the car. try to press on the handle button to see what happen

2. Does the Navigation work before? It's sound like you have bad Display driver. When display driver fail, you won't able to see anything on the screen and none on the buttons around the screen is light up or working. CD player is difference part. Don't forget to check the fuses TV1, TV2, IGN1

PM me if you need more info about Navigation unit
Old 04-18-16, 04:08 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

No other key fobs in the car.

The navigation display, touch screen and buttons on the faceplate work (they just don't light up).

Ok, so turns out it is definitely something with the faceplate. When I unplug the white connector going to the faceplate, the key works. What could be wrong with the faceplate itself?

Thanks!
Erik
Old 04-18-16, 05:18 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Ok, i got you now. Check your PM, ASAP so i could help you out
Old 04-18-16, 05:21 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Do me a favor by taking picture of the white connector you are talking about.
Old 04-18-16, 05:23 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Is this the connector you are talking about?

Old 04-25-16, 03:21 PM
burritoboy
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update this post. Apparently all my issues were related to the faceplate they had sent me. I put the old one on, and all is well. I guess it was shorting something out along the way and made everything else go haywire.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-16, 04:38 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Glad you got that matter fixed!