IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Preventing Rust on Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 11:17 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Preventing Rust on Brake Rotors?

I wanted inquire to the CL community how the rest of you prevent/get rid of rust on the brake rotors. Both front and back rotors on my '06 IS350 have atrocious amounts of rust on any surface that isn't contacted by the brake pads. Braking speed/bite isn't really affected (at least I don't think so), but the fact that there's so much surface rust is slightly disconcerting.

I read around and saw that my cleaning products may or may not have an effect on the rotors. Right now, I usually wash my wheels with normal soap products (Meguiar's Gold Class) or Meguiar's APC diluted to 10:1. The rust was present when the car was purchased, but I'm not sure if the products I'm using have an exacerbating effect or not.

Does anyone here have suggestions on how I can permanently remove the rust and protect the rotor from future damage? I will post pictures tomorrow to show the conditions of the rotors.

Thanks!

EDIT: Pics here.

Preventing Rust on Brake Rotors?-ysuw41n.jpg

Preventing Rust on Brake Rotors?-00revt7.jpg

Last edited by ColdFusion; 03-07-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 07:08 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rust to my knowledge is natural. When rotors come brand new they are coated with something that prevents rusting, once you use the rotors the coating comes off and rotors are supposed to naturally rust until you drive it no?

The brake pad size to rotor can also explain if you have some rust on your rotors, usually this is why rotors need to be re surfaced.

Someone please correct me if Im wrong.
Old 03-07-16, 07:34 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy350
The rust to my knowledge is natural. When rotors come brand new they are coated with something that prevents rusting, once you use the rotors the coating comes off and rotors are supposed to naturally rust until you drive it no?

The brake pad size to rotor can also explain if you have some rust on your rotors, usually this is why rotors need to be re surfaced.

Someone please correct me if Im wrong.
I think what he's referring to are the surfaces of the rotor that doesn't come in contact with the brake pads. My rotor hub is rusted, the part that contacts the studs and wheel.
Old 03-07-16, 08:56 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

paint the parts of the rotor that doesn't come in contact with the pads. sand off as much rust as you can and a coat or two of flat black paint will make it look oem and not flashy.
Old 03-07-16, 10:59 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM rotors come with a coating and wont rust. Most aftermarket rotors do rust like that unless otherwise specified. You can however paint that part of the rotor whatever color you like
Old 03-07-16, 12:00 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
OEM rotors come with a coating and wont rust. Most aftermarket rotors do rust like that unless otherwise specified. You can however paint that part of the rotor whatever color you like
No wonder. Had my rear rotors replace with aftermarket and rusting.
Old 03-07-16, 12:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
You can however paint that part of the rotor whatever color you like
Not really. Unless you have the proper hi-temp paint and application equipment, it will flake due to the heat buildup.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Preventing Rust on Brake Rotors?-flaking-paint3s.jpg  
Old 03-07-16, 12:43 PM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Not really. Unless you have the proper hi-temp paint and application equipment, it will flake due to the heat buildup.

Lou
Caliper paint should work then.
Old 03-07-16, 01:08 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rotors are coated with machine oil to prevent rust. oem has black paint that will eventually rust through. i bought centric premium rotors with an e-coating. it appears to be holding up well. a lot of premium aftermarket rotors like raybestos, etc has this e-coating.
Old 03-08-16, 01:43 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Over time it'll disappear...like mine did on the PowerSlot rotors. The rears just look awful! Thought about using Metal Rescue rust remover in a bath to remove the current rust; but it'll just come back. Painting will just end up bubbling and cracking at the temps my braking reaches during auto-x/racing.