IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

That guy who's new but now has an issue (headlight flickers) 1st post

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 06:22 PM
sw21t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking That guy who's new but now has an issue (headlight flickers) 1st post

Hi guys, hate to be that guy who's 1st post is an issue. I just bought my 07 is250 AWD Fully loaded back in december, and I absolutely love it. I really wanted a 350 but I needed something awd seeing as my only spare car is a rwd 2 door. I've been a toyota enthusiast since I was 15 when I got my 1st car (91 MR2)

When i 1st bought it
Name:  20151228_144543_zpsbkgzmnab.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  278.9 KB

It's still a stock car (shouldn't last long), I've only done appearance mods. Black out the grill and the chrome trim around the windows (I hate chrome moldings and grills). As far as the interior goes, the car came with the tacky fake wood, so I vynal wrapped it.

Name:  20160120_075105_zpschhutc2l.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  229.5 KB
Name:  20160304_175415_zpsipc9vczq.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  260.7 KB

I got some plans for, coil overs, ark exhaust, work wheels, VIS lip kit and a few other small stuff. But at the moment her sister is hoggin all her glory
Name:  20160122_090745_zpsvaokqwck.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  216.9 KB

Anywas now to the issue
From what I'm reading this a very common issue. My left head light is flickering and will randomly shut off, but when I turn my lights on and off. It'll work like normal. From what I'm reading replacing the bulbs is the fix? Mine is HID so any one have any input and if that is the issue what bulbs should I get and from where.

These are the ones I'm looking at
Amazon.com: MAXLUX HID Xenon Bulb D4C (D4S,D4R) 6000K (1 Pair, Diamond White): Automotive Amazon.com: MAXLUX HID Xenon Bulb D4C (D4S,D4R) 6000K (1 Pair, Diamond White): Automotive

Any ways I'm glad to be a part of the forums and any input is appreciated

-SW21
Old 03-04-16, 08:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Most likely the bulb, but swap the left and right bulbs to be sure. If the problem moves to the other side it's the bulb, if not, it's the ballast.

I'm not familiar with MAXLUX bulbs, but typically the cheap bulbs from Amazon or eBay don't last very long, and sometimes are even problematic when new. I recommend Philips or Osram, bought from an authorized dealer so you know they aren't counterfeit.
Old 03-04-16, 08:27 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Get some Osram CBI D4S...you won't regret it. Color and output are great. Makes my cutoff step much sharper than the OEM Philips did. Retrofit Source or Xenon Depot would be my recommendation.
Old 03-04-16, 08:30 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Get some Osram CBI D4S...you won't regret it. Color and output are great. Makes my cutoff step much sharper than the OEM Philips did. Retrofit Source or Xenon Depot would be my recommendation.
That's what I did. Bought the Osram CBI from XenonDepot. Much whiter and brighter than the 10 year old OEM Philips bulbs they replaced.
Old 03-04-16, 10:14 PM
sw21t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
Most likely the bulb, but swap the left and right bulbs to be sure. If the problem moves to the other side it's the bulb, if not, it's the ballast.

I'm not familiar with MAXLUX bulbs, but typically the cheap bulbs from Amazon or eBay don't last very long, and sometimes are even problematic when new. I recommend Philips or Osram, bought from an authorized dealer so you know they aren't counterfeit.
Awesome, I'll give that a try tomorrow and hopefully it follows. I rather it be the bulb than the ballast.
Appreciate the input!

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Awesome I'll check those out, appreciate it!
Old 03-06-16, 08:26 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sw21t
Hi guys, hate to be that guy who's 1st post is an issue. I just bought my 07 is250 AWD Fully loaded back in december, and I absolutely love it. I really wanted a 350 but I needed something awd seeing as my only spare car is a rwd 2 door. I've been a toyota enthusiast since I was 15 when I got my 1st car (91 MR2)

When i 1st bought it

It's still a stock car (shouldn't last long), I've only done appearance mods. Black out the grill and the chrome trim around the windows (I hate chrome moldings and grills). As far as the interior goes, the car came with the tacky fake wood, so I vynal wrapped it.

I got some plans for, coil overs, ark exhaust, work wheels, VIS lip kit and a few other small stuff. But at the moment her sister is hoggin all her glory

Anywas now to the issue
From what I'm reading this a very common issue. My left head light is flickering and will randomly shut off, but when I turn my lights on and off. It'll work like normal. From what I'm reading replacing the bulbs is the fix? Mine is HID so any one have any input and if that is the issue what bulbs should I get and from where.

These are the ones I'm looking at
Amazon.com: MAXLUX HID Xenon Bulb D4C (D4S,D4R) 6000K (1 Pair, Diamond White): Automotive

Any ways I'm glad to be a part of the forums and any input is appreciated

-SW21
First off, welcome to club Lexus

Second, that is a very nice MR2

Anyway I had the same exact issue as you when I bought my is350. The factory HID kept going out on the driver side but all it took was a simple bulb swap to fix it. I took that as an opportunity to change to 10k bulbs as well and also get some vinyl for my tails so that they appear red only. It was my very first mod... Ahhh the memories
Old 03-08-16, 09:31 AM
dylan22
Driver School Candidate

i just signed up here to ask a question about this same issue & came across this thread. Driver's side headlight is intermittently cutting off/on.

Can someone please post a link to replacement bulbs for for this car (07 is250).

Don't need anything fancy, as this is just my wife's daily driver. If one bulb can be replaced and somewhat match the old one, I'm good with that. If not, I will replace both. I'm just getting way too many options on a google/ebay search with prices ranging from $10 to $100+ and don't know what to buy.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-16, 11:17 PM
sw21t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
First off, welcome to club Lexus

Second, that is a very nice MR2

Anyway I had the same exact issue as you when I bought my is350. The factory HID kept going out on the driver side but all it took was a simple bulb swap to fix it. I took that as an opportunity to change to 10k bulbs as well and also get some vinyl for my tails so that they appear red only. It was my very first mod... Ahhh the memories
Thanks for the welcoming!

Thank you! She's been quite the project.

Yeah I just did the swap a few days ago. That seemed to take care of my issue. Flickering stopped in general. One thing I noticed bulbs don't match up. One is the Phillips and the other was some off brand. Another thing I noticed was when I popped the flickering bulb to the rh side. It fit very loose (this is the factory Phillips bulb). While the rh when I passed it to the lh side it was very snug. But none the less the flickering went away. It was just concerning at the time. Essentially I'd like to buy a set, just didn't want to spend 200 on them just yet.
Old 03-13-16, 05:34 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^So you didn't purchase a set of two bulbs and install them both at the same time? The color differences and output will different be noticed.