IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HID Headlights vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 01:20 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID Headlights vs OEM

About 2 years ago or so my passenger side headlight (low beam) stopped working. Could not figure out why until I had it inspected and it was determined that the ballast went bad due to how poorly designed they are. I ended up spending a little over $1000 to replace the entire unit.

Now, my driverside headlight low beam has stopped working. I take it in to get inspected and low and behold, same issue! This time though I bought a new ballast (OEM). The issue however is that you have to literally disassemble the entire headlight to just replace the ballast (heat gun, special glue, etc.). So instead I just had the shop ghetto-rig my new ballast to the old assembly so that I can have a working headlight for the time-being.

Now, with all of that being said, I want to know who out there has purchased aftermarket headlights (HID) and if they had any issues with them. I have heard some will cause a permanent AFS light to be illuminated while others just suck in general. I have been interested in upgrading to a headlight with the LED strip, but I want to find out if other people have done this and what problems they may have run into.

Please post your set-up and details if you have them. I'd like to hear reviews on all the products in hopes that I can find a new headlight or set for under $1000.
Old 02-12-16, 05:59 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy. Pull the AFS Fuse. ( I think AFS is a useless feature anyways)

Due to some countries having HID illegal, international sellers like EBAY will never sell an HID Unit. Your best bet is to get an HID kit.

78Works released their new headlight I believe. You can check it out.
Old 02-12-16, 08:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

You do not need to take the headlight apart to replace the ballast. You just need to take the bulb connector off the braided cable, snake it though, and then re-attach it. There are a few threads on the forum showing how to do it.
Old 02-13-16, 07:41 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Icy350
Very easy. Pull the AFS Fuse. ( I think AFS is a useless feature anyways)

Due to some countries having HID illegal, international sellers like EBAY will never sell an HID Unit. Your best bet is to get an HID kit.

78Works released their new headlight I believe. You can check it out.
Hmmm, ok. I still want to find out if anyone has had any personal experience with aftermarket assemblies. I actually like the adaptive lighting and how it turns as I turn, I would like to keep that feature it possible. I had no idea eBay would restrict the sale if HID headlights if sold in the US though.. seems strange.

Originally Posted by Bichon
You do not need to take the headlight apart to replace the ballast. You just need to take the bulb connector off the braided cable, snake it though, and then re-attach it. There are a few threads on the forum showing how to do it.
I tried searching before and only found threads on how to replace the ballast by taking apart the whole assembly using a heat gun. I will search again though for the thread you are referring to.
Old 02-13-16, 07:55 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bichon
Ok, I found one I think you are talking about.. Still looks like quite the undertaking. I'll look into it further though if I decide not to replace my entire units.
Old 02-13-16, 08:02 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Here is a JoeZ video showing how to do it: