IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED Low Beams + Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 08:30 AM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Low Beams + Fogs

Is anyone here running an LED kit, such as the ~6000k Philips LED kit from XenonDepot, for their H11 low beams?

I am debating whether to go with LED or HID for headlights and fogs. (can still use a vinyl overlay if I want yellow fogs with an LED kit vs using a 3000k kit.

I suppose the LED kit would much more light than the stock halogen bulbs, but less than HID's. Anyone have experience or pics of their car with this?

LED's have come a long way, are they now suitable for functional headlight beams vs just cosmetic?

From XenonDepot's site it looks like they are just as durable as the HID kits.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-15, 12:03 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I replaced my halogen low, high beams and fogs with the eBay version of these on my old car.. Much brighter than the stock halogens but maybe not as good as HID? My new car had HID low beams so I kept those to avoid any rewiring, but I have the fogs and high beams installed with the LEDs and they have more than enough brightness. The LEDs I have are plug and play so maybe it takes 10 minutes start to finish. The xenondepot bulbs are a little bit more than I paid, probably better quality and consistency but that said, no issues or regrets with mine. I would do LEDs all over again, so easy and good mod for the money.
Old 12-24-15, 01:55 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had 6000K HID fogs.
Attached Thumbnails LED Low Beams + Fogs-rolling-shot-at-ti-good-one-.jpg   LED Low Beams + Fogs-rolling-bridge-shot.jpg   LED Low Beams + Fogs-rolling-shot-stay-steddi.jpg  
Old 12-24-15, 07:43 PM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have VLED's VX3 in my fog lights, and they're really bright. They're rated at 2800 lumen

A couple weeks ago I took them out and put them in my wife's 2014 Honda Accord EX-L just to see how they looked; they were A little brighter than halogens, but significantly less than my HIDS. I think it's due to the way the bulb disperses the light.

We went driving in the hills to test them out and I felt like I was straining my eyes..quite a bit. The color looked great though, matched the LED DRL almost perfectly.
Old 12-27-15, 01:06 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

HIDs for low and LED fogs you do the comparison heheh

The LED Bulbs i use for my fogs are something like these
Old 12-29-15, 07:43 PM
EDU
Driver School Candidate

I had PIAA on my previous car but now I'm thinking going LED for my foglights on my is250
I like the ones from Xenon depot but they don't offer the color I want (3000K)
Old 12-30-15, 08:39 AM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Good feedback. I'd like to go with LED for lows + fogs for consistency and color matching, not to mention bulb life. However, I am thinking I may do HID now just based on light output.

How is the glare with stock Lexus halogen housings and projectors?
Old 12-30-15, 09:04 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom236
I have VLED's VX3 in my fog lights, and they're really bright. They're rated at 2800 lumen

A couple weeks ago I took them out and put them in my wife's 2014 Honda Accord EX-L just to see how they looked; they were A little brighter than halogens, but significantly less than my HIDS. I think it's due to the way the bulb disperses the light.

We went driving in the hills to test them out and I felt like I was straining my eyes..quite a bit. The color looked great though, matched the LED DRL almost perfectly.
Yes! I have VLEDS too! Sometimes I feel like my fogs are brighter than my headlights haha
Old 12-30-15, 09:55 AM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dyongg
Yes! I have VLEDS too! Sometimes I feel like my fogs are brighter than my headlights haha
agreed!

Name:  5AF84F3F-D2C4-4A07-89E6-E8C4458E7BA6_zpsxgctsqbl.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  86.8 KB
Old 12-30-15, 11:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for some of the feedback guys!

I would say the LED headlight and fog light kits are a great and easy upgrade if you're looking for a simple install, longer lifespan and instant on.

If you're looking for the brightest option and more light down the road than I would go with an HID kit.

Danny
Old 01-04-16, 04:46 PM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Ordered the XenonDepot house brand LED kit with Philips diodes for lows and fogs. And handful of others for interior, parking, trunk, reverse, puddle lights =) Will post pics after install.
Old 01-04-16, 05:38 PM
Vanze
Driver School Candidate

so with LED there's no conversion kit.. just the bulb?
Old 01-04-16, 05:41 PM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vanze
so with LED there's no conversion kit.. just the bulb?
Correct. That's one of the reasons I went with LED. I did the whole drilling of the dust cover and mounting the ballast in my A4, but would rather keep things cleaner this time around and be able to go back to stock bulbs if needed.

Also, HID's even in halogen projectors really do produce too much glare for the road. No doubt you can see farther from the tremendous light output, but I've been high beamed so many times when driving my A4 with HID's in projectors. The lenses and plastics just aren't designed for it, and I made sure the headlights were polished to perfection.
Old 01-05-16, 06:45 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@organicali - Thank you for your order. I look forward to your feedback once you get everything installed.

Steve
Old 01-05-16, 09:50 AM
Vanze
Driver School Candidate

is there currently a discount for club lexus member on xenon depot?

Quick Reply: LED Low Beams + Fogs