IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help. All lights on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 04:28 PM
Dabugera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. All lights on.

Hey guys, so I purchased a 2007 IS250 Manual a little while back. Cool car, super clean, low miles. I drove it around for a while and about half a year ago, at 88301 miles, every light in the car turned on including vsc, battery, check engine, abs, tire pressure. Furthermore, the battery lost all charge so I thought the alternator went bad. Bought a new alternator, changed it and still doesn't hold charge (car turns off when battery is disconnected). I put a voltage tester on the output end of the alternator and it showed that it was sending a current to the battery meaning that the alternator was working. I scanned the car with a pretty basic OBD scanner and got the codes: C1201- Engine Control Sytstem Malfunction and P0348- Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 2). I also changed the camshaft position sensor and same thing. I once had a similar problem on my IS-F and ended up having to change the F/Pmp relay, so I tried that on this IS but again, it didn't help. Again, this issue happened about half a year ago, and having other vehicles to drive and not much time, I've put it off but now I'd really like to fix it. Any help is appreciated and I'm honestly even willing to pay the person who helps me fix this issue.

Old 12-17-15, 04:03 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello and welcome to CL, i would check the ground wire on the car, I have heard several of them having loose or broken ground wires. I'm not sure of the exact spot but check for that and the cables for the battery.
Old 12-17-15, 07:56 PM
Dabugera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyoman29
Hello and welcome to CL, i would check the ground wire on the car, I have heard several of them having loose or broken ground wires. I'm not sure of the exact spot but check for that and the cables for the battery.
Figured out the problem with the alternator today, it ended up being the positive wire that runs from the alternator to the main fuse before going to the battery had a bad connection. I unscrewed it and brushed it with steel wool and put it back in, and the problem was resolved. However still having trouble with the two codes. Anywhere specifically that I should look for a ground? Is there anything more specific that could be related to vsc and the camshaft position sensor? Currently the lights that are still on are the check engine, vsc, and tire pressure (which is probably completely unrelated and a result of the colder weather)
Old 12-18-15, 03:43 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good you found the bad connection, anytime it throws a check engine code it also triggers the vsc but not sure where to start, maybe someone else can help on the codes.
Old 12-18-15, 08:21 PM
Dabugera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyoman29
Good you found the bad connection, anytime it throws a check engine code it also triggers the vsc but not sure where to start, maybe someone else can help on the codes.
Thanks a lot for your input. Hopefully someone else will know.
Old 12-20-15, 12:27 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the P0348 error after I replaced my alternator earlier this year. It turns out one of the wires on the cam position sensor by the oil fill cap pulled loose from the connector during the install. You could not tell by just looking at it, but when I was getting ready to probe each wire to check the signals by unwrapping the wires, I noticed that one wire had been pulled free. I bought a replacement from the dealer and spliced it back. The check engine light as well as the VSC went away.
Old 12-21-15, 01:45 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by pauls927
i got the P0348 error after I replaced my alternator earlier this year. It turns out one of the wires on the cam position sensor by the oil fill cap pulled loose from the connector during the install. You could not tell by just looking at it, but when I was getting ready to probe each wire to check the signals by unwrapping the wires, I noticed that one wire had been pulled free. I bought a replacement from the dealer and spliced it back. The check engine light as well as the VSC went away.
I was about asking him to check that wire. It's very small wire and easy to be damage. If you recently changing your alternator or spark plug, 99% you have that problem
Old 12-21-15, 04:29 PM
Dabugera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
I was about asking him to check that wire. It's very small wire and easy to be damage. If you recently changing your alternator or spark plug, 99% you have that problem
That's what it was guys. Thanks much! Fixed it earlier today and so far so good.