IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fobs won't lock/unlock car & Start button won't light up - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 06:35 AM
pcteam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fobs won't lock/unlock car & Start button won't light up - please help!

Hi all,

Yesterday my IS220d (2007 model) drove fine. Both key fobs were working great. This morning however none of the fobs are managing to lock or unlock the car. When I press the buttons they flash red, which means the fob batteries are fine. I even replaced one of the batteries around 3 months ago. So I'm sure the fobs aren't the issue.

So moving on, the car was unlocked this morning (I must have forgotten to lock it after getting back last night). Anyway, when I press the down the clutch, the START button doesn't light up green. This has never happened before.

Note, the car battery was replaced just 2 weeks ago, so I really doubt it's that either.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be. Very perplexed right now.

Many thanks!

Last edited by pcteam; 12-06-15 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 09:41 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know it sounds crazy but I think it still may be your key fob batteries. Theyre probably low on juice if anything.

Try holding the key fob to the start button when you try to turn on the car and see if that works for you. If not then yeah there may be an underlying problem... Oh, And check to see if your battery is properly connected!!

I have a problem with my battery terminals (the thing that connects to the battery) that they dont tighten enough to make full contact with the battery, so every now and again i had to go and re tighten them which became increasingly annoying. Eventually i just got a screw (yes a screw) and wedged it in between the terminal and where it grabs onto the battery and tightened it again so that it makes full contact. And Presto! No more battery problems lol

Heres what I mean about wedging a screw in between the terminal. Since mine doesnt tighten enough to make contact sometimes, I placed the screw so that it would help it tighten up a bit more.

Last edited by Tro209; 12-06-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 09:59 AM
pcteam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
I know it sounds crazy but I think it still may be your key fob batteries. Theyre probably low on juice if anything.
Thanks for the response. 99.9% certain it's not the fob batteries. Too much of a coincidence that both of them decided to stop working at exactly the same time.

Try holding the key fob to the start button when you try to turn on the car and see if that works for you. If not then yeah there may be an underlying problem...
Yeah already tried that a few times. But nothing.

Oh, And check to see if your battery is properly connected!!
Well a mechanic installed the new battery only 2 weeks ago. I did open the bonnet a bit ago and it seems to be connected just fine.

Hmmm, a very strange scenario indeed.
Old 12-06-15, 10:42 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

check the battery terminal first.
Make sure clean it well
Old 12-08-15, 09:21 AM
pcteam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
check the battery terminal first.
Make sure clean it well
Thanks, someone else suggested it could be the battery terminal. Will see.
Old 12-08-15, 09:23 AM
pcteam
Driver School Candidate

Try holding the key fob to the start button when you try to turn on the car and see if that works for you. If not then yeah there may be an underlying problem... Oh, And check to see if your battery is properly connected!!
Thanks for your help. I did reply to your post but the mods didn't approve for some reason.

Anyway, I did try putting the fob near the start button but nothing.

Nothing works, no lights, no radio, etc...

I'm thinking it could be the alternator?
Old 12-08-15, 11:28 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

have you tried disconnect/reconnect the battery?
Old 12-08-15, 06:02 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pcteam
Well a mechanic installed the new battery only 2 weeks ago. I did open the bonnet a bit ago and it seems to be connected just fine.

Hmmm, a very strange scenario indeed.
Yeah see thats the thing.... I couldnt figure out what in the world was wrong with my car until I decided to disconnect and Re connect the battery. It was at that momwnt i realized that evn though the battery seemed like it was connected, the terminal wasnt making enough grip on the battery to be secure enough for the car to run. Thats why i said to be sure your terminals are fine.

When you do check them out, try wiggling it around. If it moves , then its loose. If not then it is probably your alternator. GL
Old 12-11-15, 02:58 AM
pcteam
Driver School Candidate

Okay, worked out the problem. It was the battery after all. It was flat. Mechanic said someone probably left light or radio on overnight..