Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Building an IS350 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 11:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Building an IS350 6MT

After years of waiting and researching, I feel like everything is right for me to start this project and I'm pretty excited to say the least!

While there has been a lot of talk over the years about whether the 6MT in the IS250 can handle the stresses of the IS350 engine, among other issues. I feel that the RA62 gets kind of a semi-undeserved bad rap. I feel it wasn't necessarily the best transmission to use in the Lexus, I don't find it to be particularly horrible though I have definitely driven better. Still, I feel it is more than up to the task of sitting behind the 2GR-FSE.

So where does this leave me? With a few parts sitting beside my 2011 IS250 6MT and waiting to be installed:

Similar to the way you can transform between current and voltage in electronics, when working with gearing you can exchange speed for torque. High current flow requires thicker wires, but if you want to transmit power using smaller wires, you can do it using higher voltage. That is similar to the principle used in the RA6x series gearboxes like the one used in the IS250 (keeping the RPM higher to reduce the torque applied to the gears). It has often been talked about that the shafts aren't supported well enough or that the tapered roller bearings aren't strong enough in the RA62 to support the torque generated by the IS350. Instead of an input reduction gear, an output reduction gear is used. What this means is that instead of the torque being increased before the gears on the input shaft, it is done after the gears on the output shaft. This is one of the reasons why the input shaft requires less support (no center support bearing). It also means the gears don't need to be as large and can handle loads greater than gears of the same size would in an input reduction manual transmission. Overal, it is designed to be smaller and lighter than other gearboxes that can support similar torque loads. It is not an all-out strong design like a Getrag 233/Toyota V160 or even the R154, but it was never designed to be.

The RA62 is an Aisin AY6 transmission, and it has been used in many cars (both Toyota/Lexus and other brands). In Toyota and Lexus models it used in vehicles like the Tacoma (RA60), FJ Cruiser (RA61), IS250 (RA62) and IS220d (RA63). In other brands it was used in cars like the Chevrolet Camaro, Cadillac CTS and Holden Commodore. The two best examples of what the transmission is capable of handling are the FJ Cruiser and IS220d. The FJ Cruiser has 278 ft-lbf of torque in a 4,400lbs vehicle and the IS220d has 300 ft-lbf of torque in the actual 2IS body. The transmission is rated by Aisin to support 345 ft-lbf. The gears can take what the 2GR-FSE can throw at it.

So if we know that the transmission can handle the 2GR-FSE, what can't? The clutch. The stock clutch used with the 4GR-FSE is only rated for 250 ft-lbf. Well below what the 2GR-FSE puts out (277 ft-lbf). Thankfully this can be increased relatively easily with a heavier pressure plate in the 15% or so heavier range.

Next is the rest of the driveline, looking at the gearing that Lexus used for the 2GR and 4GR, you'll find that (expectedly) the torque output curve of both engines is quite similar and in fact the gearing between the engines is so similar that the RA62 with it's 3.73:1 final drive gearing in the IS250 6MT is actually almost identical to the A760 with it's 4.08:1 final drive gearing in the IS350 RWD. Nice. The differential used in the IS250 has been used by Toyota in vehicles with even more torque than the 2GR is capable of putting out, and in modified vehicles much more than that.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-13-19 at 10:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Lange:
Cappellaio (02-24-22), Goopi (08-16-23), SevenInked (03-27-24)
Old 11-24-15, 01:51 AM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

savage!!!
sub'd ,
goodluck and moar pics.
Old 11-24-15, 02:15 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the build! We all highly appreciate and await the pictures and writeup. Don't think I'd ever attempt this, but can say I've thought about it sooooo many times.
Old 11-24-15, 08:33 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

subscribed for updates. best of luck!
Old 11-24-15, 10:41 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Enjoy the swap, Jeff. You've always been very knowledgeable in the parts department.

I'm sure you've ran across the guy in Australia i believe who swapped a 350 engine into his 250 manual? Not sure if he's active to PM any questions but its worth mentioning in case you didnt know about it or others wanted to see.

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums...version/page-2
Old 11-24-15, 11:02 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I did speak with that guy in Australia, yeah, though he didn't provide me with any more information than I already had to be honest. They also decided to go with the Fidanza flywheel, but I've decided to keep the dual-mass flywheel with a rubber-dampened clutch disc. I feel it will help dampen the driveline more than just using a sprung disc, and I've never been a big fan of aluminum flywheels. Perhaps if someone made a different flywheel I would consider it, but alas, the RA62 does not have much aftermarket support unfortunately.

I hope to have (what I assume to be) the first LHD IS350 6MT.

Jeff
Old 11-24-15, 11:31 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Good luck with this build! Your technical expertise in all things Lexus will greatly increase your probability of success with this project (and open the doors for future CL members to follow in your footsteps!).
Old 11-24-15, 11:56 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you so much Jeff for attempting this!Its my dream to swap the 350 engine to my 250 manual!You really gave me hope when you said that it can be done even without having VDIM.Please confirm that while you proceed with your swap.You only bought the 350 engine,not the 350 trunny?Our trunny is a direct fit to the 350 engine?Sorry for all these questions but I m so excited!I wish you the best of luck!I m looking forward to seeing your progress!
Old 11-24-15, 12:40 PM
JoeSK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck! What are the differences with the fuel lines regarding the port injection? Is it front to back changes, or is it only under hood?
Old 11-24-15, 12:43 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Mechanically the transmissions are interchangeable, yes, however they are not controlled in the exact same way in some cases (especially between AWD/RWD), and so the IS350 computer may not control an IS250 transmission correctly. That said, I have a manual transmission and so I have a completely different can of worms to deal with. I also have not researched the differences in transmission control systems at all between the IS250 and IS350 or RWD and AWD. The IS250 AWD has a very similar transmission to the IS350 AWD, much more so than the IS250 RWD to IS350 RWD. If you had an IS250 AWD and did the IS350 AWD engine and harness, I would expect it would likely be an easier swap than RWD, but still not just plug and play.

Jeff
Old 11-24-15, 12:44 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by JoeSK
Good luck! What are the differences with the fuel lines regarding the port injection? Is it front to back changes, or is it only under hood?
Tank to engine.

Jeff
Old 11-24-15, 12:48 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeff, you are the only person on these boards who could buy the emblems and the engine designation sticker before the swap starts and not be flamed into oblivion!

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by WylieKylie:
Jeff Lange (05-17-18), SevenInked (03-27-24)
Old 11-24-15, 12:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Woohoo! Looking forward to the final product - which pressure plate are you planning to put in ? The F-Sport one?

Last edited by kickin8; 11-24-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 02:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If anyone will be able to figure this swap out, it'll be you Jeff!

Looking forward to periodic updates on this!
Old 11-25-15, 11:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Jeff, you are the only person on these boards who could buy the emblems and the engine designation sticker before the swap starts and not be flamed into oblivion!

Good luck!
The emblem and sticker are the most exciting part! They had to be ordered, haha!

Originally Posted by kickin8
Woohoo! Looking forward to the final product - which pressure plate are you planning to put in ? The F-Sport one?
I'm going to be using a SPEC.

Originally Posted by Gville350
If anyone will be able to figure this swap out, it'll be you Jeff!

Looking forward to periodic updates on this!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I've got most of the rest of the parts I need now for the swap, though I am still waiting for a couple. I will be changing all the engine gaskets and seals before moving forward and I have the new connectors to modify the harness for the 6MT as well.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Building an IS350 6MT