IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blind Spot Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 11:55 AM
DVS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spot Question

Hey All - Ever since I got this 2012 IS250 F Sport a few months now, I almost got in a couple near accident due to the Blind Spot. Now I have to look back now to make sure no cars is hiding in my blind spot. All the cars I owned in the past, I never had this issue before. I wonder if it's due the position of the side mirrors on the door compared to normal one. I am thinking of buying those 2" blind spot mirror. Does anyone has one? and if they do, where do you mount it? (Outer/Inner, corner or top corner etc....

Any feedback would be great thanks!
Old 11-20-15, 12:06 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS
Hey All - Ever since I got this 2012 IS250 F Sport a few months now, I almost got in a couple near accident due to the Blind Spot. Now I have to look back now to make sure no cars is hiding in my blind spot. All the cars I owned in the past, I never had this issue before. I wonder if it's due the position of the side mirrors on the door compared to normal one. I am thinking of buying those 2" blind spot mirror. Does anyone has one? and if they do, where do you mount it? (Outer/Inner, corner or top corner etc....

Any feedback would be great thanks!
I've personally never had any problems with blind spots. not sure how your mirrors are angled but mine are as far out as possible. that combined with looking in rearview every 15-30seconds has never been a problem
Old 11-20-15, 12:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I use a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Adjustab...-/331663427184

They're adjustable within their frame and are cheap. I've had them for a couple of years now, and I've grown to depend on them. I got the idea when driving a friend's Mustang. Mustang's come with them integrated into the OEM outside mirrors.

Lou
Old 11-20-15, 12:57 PM
DVS
Driver

Where exactly did you mount your? I just bought a pair at auto zone and to me, it doesnt matter where I position it, I get the same viewing area. I wonder does it even matter??

Originally Posted by flowrider
I use a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Adjustab...-/331663427184

They're adjustable within their frame and are cheap. I've had them for a couple of years now, and I've grown to depend on them. I got the idea when driving a friend's Mustang. Mustang's come with them integrated into the OEM outside mirrors.

Lou
Old 11-20-15, 12:59 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've always relied on turning my head vs my mirrors. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-20-15, 02:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS
Where exactly did you mount your? I just bought a pair at auto zone and to me, it doesnt matter where I position it, I get the same viewing area. I wonder does it even matter??
I have mine mounted like below. Remember, adjust your mirrors first, than adjust the wide angle mirrors. As indicated above, they work for me. And YES, I turn my head also, but the wide angle mirrors a a BIG convenience IMHO.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Blind Spot Question-img_0843.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 11-20-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 02:54 PM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually put my mirrors all the way out, I can't see the sides of the car, but a quick glance shows the blind spot pretty well with out bulging mirrors on the mirrors.
Old 11-20-15, 05:35 PM
Westsai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the round, convex ones, it'll give u a really wide range of visibility, like a fish eye camera
Old 11-20-15, 10:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by pattatted4
I usually put my mirrors all the way out, I can't see the sides of the car, but a quick glance shows the blind spot pretty well with out bulging mirrors on the mirrors.
Sounds like you have your mirrors adjusted the right way, unlike many people on the road. If you can see the sides of your car, you have your side mirrors adjusted incorrectly. If you can see the side of your car, you are just duplicating the view that you already get from the rear view mirror. I was taught to put my head next to the driver window and adjust the mirror until the side of the car just disappears, then put my head in the center of the car and do the same for the passenger mirror.
Old 11-21-15, 09:13 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I don't like the look of those stick on mini mirrors :/ and like the others have said, if you adjust your mirrors all the way out so you no longer see the side of the car, you won't have this issue; but I don't like that either because the view looks little weird.

Here is what I do to adjust my mirrors to minimize blind spots (I still turn my head to double check but this avoids most surprises).
- when you're driving, keep a car that's behind you to your passenger side lane in check.
- make sure that the car is visible in your rear view mirror
- slow down a little bit to let the car pass you
- the car will slowly disappear on your rear view mirror
- before the car completely disappears from your rear view mirror, check your passenger side mirror to make sure some noticeable parts of the car starts to appear there; adjust your side mirror as necessary
- as the car gets even closer to you, the car will slowly start to disappear from your side mirror . When this happens, make sure you can see some parts of it with your real eyes with about the same line of sight as checking the side mirror. Adjust the side mirror more out as necessary to see
- do the same for the driver side.

Last edited by nosurprise; 11-21-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 09:46 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I adjust my side mirrors according to this and never have any issue. Of course, always turn your head and glance quickly before switch lane is the best practice.
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/h...id-blind-spots
Old 11-21-15, 09:57 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

That's the same view that people suggests when on tracks. I tried it out but found that view weird and uncomfortable -- maybe its's just getting used to it issue.
Old 11-21-15, 10:08 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
That's the same view that people suggests when on tracks. I tried it out but found that view weird and uncomfortable -- maybe its's just getting used to it issue.
Yes, it takes a bit to get used to that settings but you will really appreciate how well it works once get used to it.
Old 11-21-15, 10:13 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I've never had any issues with blind spots on the 2IS, but it is important that your mirrors are adjusted correctly.

Jeff
Old 11-21-15, 10:48 AM
NISX
Driver School Candidate

Ditto to what nearly EVERY single reply on here said. Lol. Adjust OEM mirrors and MAN UP.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Question