2007 Is350 - Transmission Question - "MINOR" jerk / quite clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 06:06 PM
Dnveris350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Is350 - Transmission Question - "MINOR" jerk / quite clunk

Hello Everyone!

I had a quick question... I am new to Lexus and just purchased myself a 2007 IS350 RWD with 37k. I have had the car now for several months and have put about 4500 miles *( Currently 41k ). I noticed a weird noise one evening driving home... and this noise has been constant.

When the car is traveling over 30+ mph and coming to a complete stop ( normal driving - no sport mode / no paddle shift mode / no etc pwr mode) the car makes a MINOR jerk / quite clunk coming to a dead stop... feels like its trying to catch / go through gear to make it back to 1st gear. I have a feeling this was there from when I purchased the car and now started to pay close attention to the noise...and its making me super concerned.

I did take it into Lexus and had a master tech. who actually owns both the is250 & is350 both over 100k miles to go on a road test with me ... and he said the car was shifting normal & smooth... told me not to worry and I might just be a bit over paranoid. I have several cars and this is 1st time i have experienced this... none of the other cars are making this noise.

I was driving today and its still making the noise; go figure its bugging me... I wanted to see if anyone else had / has this issue and if there are any fixes?

or is this truly " NORMAL" ? Thanks in advance!

other then that I have fallen in love with the car.. I just hope its nothing crazy expensive or neglect from the previous owner.
Old 11-16-15, 10:43 AM
Schweebs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dnveris350
Hello Everyone!

I had a quick question... I am new to Lexus and just purchased myself a 2007 IS350 RWD with 37k. I have had the car now for several months and have put about 4500 miles *( Currently 41k ). I noticed a weird noise one evening driving home... and this noise has been constant.

When the car is traveling over 30+ mph and coming to a complete stop ( normal driving - no sport mode / no paddle shift mode / no etc pwr mode) the car makes a MINOR jerk / quite clunk coming to a dead stop... feels like its trying to catch / go through gear to make it back to 1st gear. I have a feeling this was there from when I purchased the car and now started to pay close attention to the noise...and its making me super concerned.

I did take it into Lexus and had a master tech. who actually owns both the is250 & is350 both over 100k miles to go on a road test with me ... and he said the car was shifting normal & smooth... told me not to worry and I might just be a bit over paranoid. I have several cars and this is 1st time i have experienced this... none of the other cars are making this noise.

I was driving today and its still making the noise; go figure its bugging me... I wanted to see if anyone else had / has this issue and if there are any fixes?

or is this truly " NORMAL" ? Thanks in advance!

other then that I have fallen in love with the car.. I just hope its nothing crazy expensive or neglect from the previous owner.

I have the same problem but only if in ect power mode and I use the paddles to downshift when in second gear under 2200rpm. Otherwise its smooth
Old 11-16-15, 01:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

So this noise/feeling happens when changing gears (2nd into 1st) or when in first gear coming to a complete stop? I'd recommend using the "gear" selection display in the cluster to help you monitor what gear the trans is in to help narrow down this issue.

If it only happens as you're coming to a complete stop (assuming in first gear the entire time), to me it sounds like a brake hardware issue.
Old 11-16-15, 09:53 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My tranmission also jerk when going to R and D. And suddenly slow down when in ECT mode. When I warm up about 10 minute it seem better. I had change transmission oil and it seem little smoother. I would remcommend flush transmission oil at Lexus dealer, but your is only 37k mile. My is 84k miles.
Old 11-17-15, 11:27 AM
slowpoke24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
My tranmission also jerk when going to R and D. And suddenly slow down when in ECT mode. When I warm up about 10 minute it seem better. I had change transmission oil and it seem little smoother. I would remcommend flush transmission oil at Lexus dealer, but your is only 37k mile. My is 84k miles.

Is there a noise, or just a jerk feeling when you come to a stop?
Old 11-17-15, 11:35 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Since my car was new it seems slow to downshift from 2nd to 1st (auto) & you can hear it. I believe this is due to the trans staying in the higher gear as long as possible for fuel economy.
Old 11-17-15, 11:13 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slowpoke24
Is there a noise, or just a jerk feeling when you come to a stop?
No noise but jerk when I put in sport smode and suddenly stop. I have test drive 2006 IS350 at dealer with 56k miles and transmission was smooth and no jerk at all.
Old 11-18-15, 09:39 PM
Dnveris350
Driver School Candidate

Good evening everyone! Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to everyone! We had some crazy snow out here in Colorado! But I do have an update, I took the car into Lexus the other day, but this time a different dealership. We have since then reset the transmission ECU... ( Since this is a self learning transmission I wanted to make sure that we wiped off the old owners driving patterns and started with a fresh slate.) The service rep was pretty legit spent some time with me and went down every possible diagnostic route before charging me the hourly rate. It came to our knowledge the previous owner never did any of the recommended plug-in updates. Since the car was out of warranty and I no longer have the extended coverage.. this was an out of pocket cost to get the " Update " $70.00. Now I have been driving the car around under " Normal " / Not Aggressive driving conditions training / re-programming the transmission and the "MINOR" jerk & quite clunk has minimized significantly. The service rep recommended to do a flush after 80k -100k to me ... but I will have to track the car for the next 500+ miles to see if this has fixed the issues... so far so good... I will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-18-15, 11:33 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Flushing transmission oil and change will help. I'm doing that's next year. I had my car transmission updated about a month ago. when I got check engine light P0894 and P0761 transmission slipping, but the car seem ok now.
Old 11-20-15, 01:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

FYI for those reading this in the future. You can reset the previous owner's learned driving habits saved in the trans ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting. This resets everything.

The trans reflash was to force the ecu to learn new factory parameters AND then re-learn the owner's driving habits on top of it.
Old 11-22-15, 11:38 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
FYI for those reading this in the future. You can reset the previous owner's learned driving habits saved in the trans ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting. This resets everything.

The trans reflash was to force the ecu to learn new factory parameters AND then re-learn the owner's driving habits on top of it.
I though what dealer did was different. I also disconnected batter for 10 minute. Cross my finger so far no transmission code and the car seem to run ok.