Headlights Cutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 03:06 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Cutting Off

'06 IS350 with AFS and 125k mi

I've noticed that sometimes one of my headlights will go out as I'm driving. Usually, I'll pull up behind a car at a light and see one's out, other times it just seems like there's less light than there should be. It's not one specific light, they take turns going into comas.

Everytime I just turn the lights off, then immediately back on and the problem light works perfectly. I've been just dealing with it for awhile, assuming that maybe its a wiring thing that would be expensive to fix. But I'm not so sure.

The other night, BOTH went off at the same time. Did the trick and they came back on, but I realized its about time I fix this.

After spending a few hours driving at night in my buddy's S2000 and newer mustang last weekend, I realized that my lights are also not nearly as bright as I think they should be. So that made me wonder, is it possible they're dying? I have no way of knowing, but I'd imagine they are the original headlights, so they're well past their 80-100 hours.

Anybody dealt with this before? Is it the bulbs, ballast, some wiring issue? About to take it to the shop, but want yalls input first.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-15, 03:23 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would pull the bulbs and inspect them to make sure nothing is damaged (my most recent experience) if they look good they could just be on their way out. It's not the ballasts because they still come on. It could also be a bad connection ... I once had this issue because I didn't lock the ballast plug into the bulb base completely so the light would go out after a bumble or turn. 80 to 100 hours is just getting started for a HID bulb.

My vote... time for new bulbs
Old 11-10-15, 02:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I have had what you've described happen every once in a while. Turned off, and back on...bam! They work again. I'm sure it's the bulb on its way out.

Take a look at this thread here about good replacement bulbs :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cbi-bulbs.html
Old 11-10-15, 05:04 PM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My passenger light would go out like you described. After reading a few threads on this subject on CL, I swapped that bulb to the driver location, and put the left bulb to the right side. The problem followed the bulb. Replacing that bulb resolved the issue.

Being used to Halogen bulbs that either stay dim or not come on at all, I originally thought the problem was with the ballast, but apparently HID's behave differently. I picked up a replacement Phillips HID that has been fine now for about a month.
Old 11-10-15, 11:23 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys just a heads up that 99% of the so called "genuine" bulbs (eg. philips) on ebay are counterfeit. Make sure to purchase them from reputable sellers.