Certified vs Original Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 04:11 AM
tkscholl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified vs Original Owner

Hey all.

I am looking to buy an IS250 2.5 V-6 as my first Lexus and to be a car I plan to drive WELL into 200k miles as I travel for business in North Florida. My wife would like me to buy certified with a remaining warranty. I am seeing some very good deals on 2-4 year old cars coming from the private original owner.

My question, is it worth the extra money and peace of mind to buy a certified as opposed to private owner?

Thanks
Old 10-19-15, 10:01 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

It depends if you feel saving a few bucks is worth it for not having the extra warranty (if the manufacturer warranty is out/almost out). IIRC, Lexus's certified warranty is 3 years or 100k total vehicle miles, whichever comes first. You can read more on it here. With certified you're really just paying for the warranty.

On the other hand, it IS a Lexus. Being a 2-4 year old car, it really shouldn't have any problems at all. Carbon build up issue was fixed around 09/10 I believe, although the recall goes from 06-10 models.
Old 10-19-15, 12:47 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my past few cars were purchased from the original first owner. as long as you have it professionally inspected or know how to inspect it yourself, original owned cars can be a bargain.
Old 10-19-15, 01:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

If it were me, I'd do my due diligence and have a pro check to make sure there isn't hidden collision damage or a lurking mechanical problem, and use the money I saved by foregoing certification and warranty to upgrade to an IS350.
Old 10-19-15, 02:51 PM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the warranty is that important, you can buy it private party and go to the dealership and get a warranty...just get a few quotes from Lexus and Toyota dealers around you before you choose, then whomever is the cheapest, try and negotiate a lil more off...I work in sales for Toyota and people do it all the time...
Old 10-19-15, 06:15 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tkscholl
Hey all.

I am looking to buy an IS250 2.5 V-6 as my first Lexus and to be a car I plan to drive WELL into 200k miles as I travel for business in North Florida. My wife would like me to buy certified with a remaining warranty. I am seeing some very good deals on 2-4 year old cars coming from the private original owner.

My question, is it worth the extra money and peace of mind to buy a certified as opposed to private owner?

Thanks
If the car is no older than 4 years (and 50K miles?), it will still have the factory warranty. You can extended the warranty before the factory warranty expires if you want.
Old 10-20-15, 02:43 PM
DVS
Driver

CPO is the way to go if your spending 15K or more - you normally get covered for 3 years warranty, New Tires, brakes, oil changer and etc (161 points inspection).... most of all a piece of mind.
Old 10-22-15, 08:53 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS
CPO is the way to go if your spending 15K or more - you normally get covered for 3 years warranty, New Tires, brakes, oil changer and etc (161 points inspection).... most of all a piece of mind.
+1

I'd stick with Certified Pre-Owned at the Stealership... Just bought a 2011 AWD IS250 and it came with a full coverage warranty until 2019. Peace of mind? Yes.

I know by experience than when you bring these cars at the garage, you end up with a big bill, especially if it's at the dealership...

I think it's a coin toss, 50/50... You can buy a car from an owner and don't have any trouble with it for the next 5 years or you can buy a lemon that will give you headaches after a few months (even with a good professional inspection, sometimes issues begins shortly after...)

My IS250 needed 2000$ of reparations (brakes, 1 full suspension on driver side, fluid change, etc.) when the original owner traded it at the Stealership for a 2015. They did everything free of charge, restored the paint and did a 180 point inspection.

Would I buy a 2005 from a dealership? No. Would I buy a 2010 and up from a Dealership? Yes, if the price is right.

Surprisely, I only paid 1000$ more at Lexus than the average IS250 that were advertised on Kijji, but it took a few months to find the deal.

Finally...I think your wife is rationally right

Last edited by Eduskator; 10-22-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 11:50 AM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eduskator
+1

I'd stick with Certified Pre-Owned at the Stealership... Just bought a 2011 AWD IS250 and it came with a full coverage warranty until 2019. Peace of mind? Yes.

I know by experience than when you bring these cars at the garage, you end up with a big bill, especially if it's at the dealership...

I think it's a coin toss, 50/50... You can buy a car from an owner and don't have any trouble with it for the next 5 years or you can buy a lemon that will give you headaches after a few months (even with a good professional inspection, sometimes issues begins shortly after...)

My IS250 needed 2000$ of reparations (brakes, 1 full suspension on driver side, fluid change, etc.) when the original owner traded it at the Stealership for a 2015. They did everything free of charge, restored the paint and did a 180 point inspection.

Would I buy a 2005 from a dealership? No. Would I buy a 2010 and up from a Dealership? Yes, if the price is right.

Surprisely, I only paid 1000$ more at Lexus than the average IS250 that were advertised on Kijji, but it took a few months to find the deal.

Finally...I think your wife is rationally right

+2

Bought a 2010 IS350 CPO 5 months back. Was able to work the 60k service, as well as paint work into the deal. The piece of mind is great especially if you have a lengthy commute. Not to mentions loaners for life - driving a 2015 IS around while mine is worked on for free

As I understand it, A dealer is fairly picky when it comes to reselling as CPO. All in all its well worth the additional 1000 or so.
Old 10-23-15, 05:57 AM
tkscholl
Driver School Candidate

Default Cpo

Thanks for the input here. It all makes sense. Do you think it is reasonable to believe I could drive an IS250 for 250k+ miles? Getting tired of buying boring front wheel drive Camry's to do my over the road driving in North Florida, but they eat the miles easily. Figured I could drive an economy based Lexus with some bells and whistles and a 2.5 6 cylinder instead.
Old 10-23-15, 06:02 AM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input here. It all makes sense. Do you think it is reasonable to believe I could drive an IS250 for 250k+ miles? Getting tired of buying boring front wheel drive Camry's to do my over the road driving in North Florida, but they eat the miles easily. Figured I could drive an economy based Lexus with some bells and whistles and a 2.5 6 cylinder instead.
I personally would keep an eye out for a 350. The difference in gas mileage is negligible and the 350 does not have the carbon build up issues. That being said I know there are some 250's on this forum who have reached that milestone.

There's a high mileage thread that might give you a better idea of repairs needed down the road.
Old 10-23-15, 08:20 AM
tkscholl
Driver School Candidate

Default 250/350

Originally Posted by mlapag
I personally would keep an eye out for a 350. The difference in gas mileage is negligible and the 350 does not have the carbon build up issues. That being said I know there are some 250's on this forum who have reached that milestone.

There's a high mileage thread that might give you a better idea of repairs needed down the road.

Never considered the 350 as it's my understanding it requires a timing belt. Have to believe that is a $800-1,000. project at 100k. Is the carbon issue manageable?
Old 10-23-15, 08:48 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't the is350 have the 2GRFE engine? that one has a timing chain with easily changeable serpentine belt.
Old 10-23-15, 09:06 AM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Never considered the 350 as it's my understanding it requires a timing belt. Have to believe that is a $800-1,000. project at 100k. Is the carbon issue manageable?
The 350 has a timing chain. I cant speak for the carbon issue but from my understanding it seems inevitable once you get into the higher miles. I'm sure someone else could chime in with some more insight.
Old 10-23-15, 09:31 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It has a timing chain. It's a significantly more powerful engine with almost equivalent gas mileage. It still shocks me that people forego it to save a small amount of money.

Quick Reply: Certified vs Original Owner