HELP! Climate control temp resetting and No AC through front vent

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 01:41 AM
Epic123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Climate control temp resetting and No AC through front vent

Hello all,

I apologize in advance for the long description.

I need help with a problem I've been having with my 2007 Lexus IS 350. So a few months ago my car's AC stopped blowing air through the front vents (including the main passenger and driver side vents). The AC blows mainly through the dash/window vents (like when you turn on the defroster) and the back seat vents.

Every time I turn on my car (that's been off for more than an hour or two), the climate control temperature always resets back to 75 degrees.

Every time I turn off my car, i hear this cranking/clicking noise behind the navigation console. It last about 20 seconds then stops.

When it's hot, I would have to set the AC to high to cool the car down through the other vents.

I brought the car to lexus dealership last month for them to diagnose and they found that all servo motors responding to tech stream. Found problem to be coming from NAVI AC controls. Found that customer has after market audio system hooked up and suggested that I remove the after market system. I asked if there were any blown fuses and they confirmed that all the fuses were good.

The after market system I had installed was from 4 years ago when I first got my car so I highly doubt it has anything to do with that wiring. The only thing I recently installed behind the Navi was a Grom audio connector to allow my car to play music using bluetooth or phone through the radio/CD player which required me to connect and link the device through the radio port. The problem occurred about a week after I had installed the Grom audio so I figured removing it would solve it. After I unplugged the grom audio device and hooked up the radio connector to it's original slot, the problems were still there.

I mean I can live with this but It's very annoying having to lower the temp down to low from 75 every time and having to slowly wait for the car to cool down through the small vents. If anyone can help me find a solution that would be much appreciated as going through lexus dealership again would mean $$$$$ in just diagnostic fees.

I also recently replaced my battery last year if that information helps with anything.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-01-15, 04:28 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If u have the OEM unit, take out the aftermarket and re-install the OEM unit. That's your easiest means to trouble shoot.

The issue very well may be an issue with the aftermarket unit. By chance, is it flyaudio?
Old 06-01-15, 10:52 PM
Epic123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
If u have the OEM unit, take out the aftermarket and re-install the OEM unit. That's your easiest means to trouble shoot.

The issue very well may be an issue with the aftermarket unit. By chance, is it flyaudio?
No it is not flyaudio. By aftermarket, I meant i had a JL subwoofer installed in the trunk and wired to my OEM Navi unit. My OEM unit came with the car. Sorry for the confusion. I've never had this problem since I installed the subwoofer when I first bought my car years ago.

The lexus technician referred to the after market audio system because he noticed the auxiliary cable connected to the Grom audio device which I use to connect to my phone that I had ran from the behind the navigation system through the gear shift console. They are guessing that the Grom audio device is the cause which it wasn't because I removed it myself after returning home from the dealership and it still had the same problems.

I will check all the fuses again this weekend and remove the navi console to check for loose connections. I'll also record a video of the sound that it makes when I turn off my car.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-01-15, 11:01 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you tried identifying the source of the noise? I would guess that it's a wire blocking the servo gears (there are some gears behind the stereo). You try take the stereo out and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 06-01-15, 11:37 PM
Epic123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Have you tried identifying the source of the noise? I would guess that it's a wire blocking the servo gears (there are some gears behind the stereo). You try take the stereo out and see where the noise is coming from.
Come to think of it, I may have pushed some wires around while trying to fit the grom audio device behind the navi stereo system. The small noise does sound like gears trying to move and then return to it's starting position. I will take the system out this weekend and take a look.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-19-23, 08:22 PM
premudeshi
1st Gear

Hi,
I know its been a while, were you ever able to find out what was up with the AC vent?