IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015

Old 05-11-15, 09:16 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having checked the kbb bluebook sales, I could have sworn my car was valued at 29,500 but now its showing 27,396!! Wow, it seems that there is no way for me to avoid paying out of pocket for the Accord Hybrid. I'm not sure if its worth paying 3-4k difference in trading this good of a car.

Now I think the best thing to do is just enjoy the IS350 for as long as I can and just hope for gas prices to stay low for a long time. At least OPEC came out saying no $100 OIL for the next 10 years, lol. But on a serious note, if I don't want to pay out of pocket, I'd have to trade my IS350 for a Camry Hybrid or something. I'm starting to think even with the higher mpg, it wont be worth it.

Update: it was the private sale thats worth 29.5k.

Last edited by eplugplay; 05-11-15 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:24 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by jonathanz
why no ct200h? pretty good on MPG too.
honestly i dont' think i'll purchase another honda/acura, i purchased a brand new 2014 mdx and their build quality is horrible. FYI, it's built in USA!
I don't think I can do it for a ct200h with not paying out of pocket, lol. I could maybe get away with a used 2013 ct200h but 80hp, not sure if I could live with that. The Accord Hybrid is the only one that I'm remotely interested as it at least has 195hp for a 50 mpg full size sedan.
Old 05-11-15, 11:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eplugplay
After having checked the kbb bluebook sales, I could have sworn my car was valued at 29,500 but now its showing 27,396!! Wow, it seems that there is no way for me to avoid paying out of pocket for the Accord Hybrid. I'm not sure if its worth paying 3-4k difference in trading this good of a car.

Now I think the best thing to do is just enjoy the IS350 for as long as I can and just hope for gas prices to stay low for a long time. At least OPEC came out saying no $100 OIL for the next 10 years, lol. But on a serious note, if I don't want to pay out of pocket, I'd have to trade my IS350 for a Camry Hybrid or something. I'm starting to think even with the higher mpg, it wont be worth it.

Update: it was the private sale thats worth 29.5k.
If your reasons for getting the hybrid are purely economic, you will almost certainly be better off staying with your Lexus. Depreciation is crazy high the first two years of ownership (as you just learned with your current ride ), and it's unlikely that the savings in fuel will come close to offsetting that drop in value. For kicks, I appraised a '14 Accord EX-L hybrid with 21,000 miles on Edmunds, and found that it has a trade-in value of $23,786, just to give you an idea what your new Honda might lose the first year, assuming the same number of miles you put on your IS350 annually.
Old 05-11-15, 11:34 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
If your reasons for getting the hybrid are purely economic, you will almost certainly be better off staying with your Lexus. Depreciation is crazy high the first two years of ownership (as you just learned with your current ride ), and it's unlikely that the savings in fuel will come close to offsetting that drop in value. For kicks, I appraised a '14 Accord EX-L hybrid with 21,000 miles on Edmunds, and found that it has a trade-in value of $23,786, just to give you an idea what your new Honda might lose the first year, assuming the same number of miles you put on your IS350 annually.
Wow thanks for that, it does ease my sense of trying to be more "economical." You're right that if I would trade in my IS350 for a new Accord (even if I barely break even or do break even), the first year's depreciation of the 15' Accord Hybrid would depreciate so much that I'd lose more money on top of what has already been depreciated on my IS350.

I know the longer you own your car the less it depreciates in value but I was thinking about saving money on future fuel cost. On average, it shows a fuel cost of $11,225 (5 years) on the IS350 as to the Accord Hybrid's $4,608 (5 years). I will most likely be driving either car for another 10+ years so I thought the difference in saving fuel costs would offset my already depreciated value. But now that I calculate it, I would be losing something around the 17k value of my IS350 (if I can evenly trade for an Accord Hybrid) along with the Hybrid's first year depreciation of $6000 (from your findings), the savings in fuel cost over the 10 year span would not even come close to the loss of value.

But then again there are other factors to save money as well on maintenance, repairs, and insurance.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord-...4/cost-to-own/

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-350/2013/cost-to-own/
Old 05-13-15, 07:47 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Here is an update. Yesterday I took my 2013 IS350 to the Honda dealership and they gave me a trade in value as well as the difference that I would pay for a brand new 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid base model and an EX-L. After test driving one I really wanted it (this thing feels so futuristic like a poor mans tesla and the mpg is amazing!).

The base model, I would pay a difference of $3340 and the EX-L model I would pay a difference of $6800!! Of course I said that was ridiculous so I asked what is the best deal/price that they could work. Anyway after about an hour they offered the base model for $1494 difference after my trade in, basically my trade in value was worth $26k + $1k (tax savings) so basically $27k.

Anyway, I said let me think about it and thanked them for their time and left. About an hour later I went back to the dealership and told them that I would do the deal for the base model and pay out of pocket (white color/ beige interior, no leather seats, no touch screen, sun roof, automatic seat adjusters, crappier speaker system). I go to look at another Accord EX (non hybrid since they're sold out on all of them and have to get one driven to my dealership from another dealership) on the lot to look at the similar interior to get a feel, then I asked him whats the best deal for the EX-L model in gray with black leather interior with all the upgrades?

After about another 30 minutes or so he offered me a pay difference of $2549 for the EX-L model! Apparently, someone took this model for 1 day but brought it back since his golf clubs wouldn't fit in the trunk and that was his ONLY gripe. The MSRP of this model was $34,753 (saw the sticker price), so basically they gave me a trade value of $32,204 for my IS350 since I paid $2549 out of pocket! Or I can look at it as a trade in value of 29k/29.5k really since after discount it would have been around 31.5k/32k for the Accord Hybrid EX-L. I'm not sure if I overly lucked out in this situation but I took the deal and now am a new owner of the 15' Accord Hybrid EX-L model.

It is an absolute joy to ride, this thing is very quiet, fast especially accelerating in traffic and I've been consistently getting 46-48 mpg so far. It really feels very futuristic when driving this car, something like riding a starship cruiser or something when you accelerate. Also the instant torque is nice during the congested freeway/city traffic. I loved the IS350 and maybe some day go back to Lexus but for now the Accord Hybrid with everything it offers fit my needs better. Thanks guys! I'll still probably be lurking around!

One thing to mention though is that there is a right turn blinker camera that is activated when changing lanes and I absolutely love this feature! I truly do feel that this car gives a glimpse of what the future holds for automotives!

Last edited by eplugplay; 05-13-15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 09:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking out loud here, if I'm going to save gas, I will go straight to Tesla either used or new.
1. Use NO gas so that is infinite MPG.
2. Even more performance.
3. Even more luxury.
4. Even more high tech.

Yes, It will cost more than many other hybrids but I personally think it worth the extra money.

This is only my opinion.
Old 05-13-15, 09:48 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

congrat on your new car!
Old 05-13-15, 11:03 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I'm thinking out loud here, if I'm going to save gas, I will go straight to Tesla either used or new.
1. Use NO gas so that is infinite MPG.
2. Even more performance.
3. Even more luxury.
4. Even more high tech.

Yes, It will cost more than many other hybrids but I personally think it worth the extra money.

This is only my opinion.
I would love to own a Tesla as well but only if I can get one second hand for like 40k, lol. I'm not sure how many mileage you can put on one or what the maintenance costs are as well. Because even if you can theoretically go infinite MPG, its no good if you are limited by a certain mileage when the thing breaks down.

Also, the reason for my switch of cars was not to only save on gas money, but on other aspects of owning the 350. I've just switched cars in my insurance and it went down $277 for 6 months. It went from $1050 down to 773 for 6 months. Not to mention the maintenance cost as well.

But thanks guys!
Old 05-13-15, 11:20 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Ah understood, it is out of your budget plus your concerns regarding how long it will last.

On the Tesla, since it uses no gas due to fully electric, it is realistically infinite MPG because anything divided by a number that is converging to 0 is infinite. Regarding how long it will last, Tesla brand has been selling cars for a while and they have been proven pretty good both performance and reliability wise. The company is doing extremely well financially as well. I wish I could have purchased their stock earlier in the day lol and I could double my profit.

Insurance will definitely be cheaper when you go from Lexus to Honda.

Performance wise, I think IS350 to a Honda Hybrid is definitely a downgrade. I'm very sure IS350 handles a lot better than the Honda Hybrid. Acceleration, braking etc on the IS350 is definitely better. However, performance is not your priority while financial money saving is so you did make a sound decision.

I personally drive car to appreciate its handling and performance so i would do different if I were in your same situation. If I would have known better, I could have bought your IS350 with the trade in price you got lol. I just love my IS350 to death haha.
Old 05-13-15, 11:43 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Ah understood, it is out of your budget plus your concerns regarding how long it will last.

On the Tesla, since it uses no gas due to fully electric, it is realistically infinite MPG because anything divided by a number that is converging to 0 is infinite. Regarding how long it will last, Tesla brand has been selling cars for a while and they have been proven pretty good both performance and reliability wise. The company is doing extremely well financially as well. I wish I could have purchased their stock earlier in the day lol and I could double my profit.

Insurance will definitely be cheaper when you go from Lexus to Honda.

Performance wise, I think IS350 to a Honda Hybrid is definitely a downgrade. I'm very sure IS350 handles a lot better than the Honda Hybrid. Acceleration, braking etc on the IS350 is definitely better. However, performance is not your priority while financial money saving is so you did make a sound decision.

I personally drive car to appreciate its handling and performance so i would do different if I were in your same situation. If I would have known better, I could have bought your IS350 with the trade in price you got lol. I just love my IS350 to death haha.
I've never driven a 2014/2015 IS350 before but I know it handles much better than a 2013 IS350. Anyway, as far as handling goes, I honestly thought that the Accord Hybrid handled much better than my 2013 IS350 of course both are bone stock. As for speed, the 350 is much faster of course.
Old 05-13-15, 11:52 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I think you mean it feels more comfortable and quiet. Everything in the hybrid seems to be smooth and so forth. It is in fact a different feel when you drive a hybrid car.

In term of handling, I beg to differ. IS350 bone stock can handle a lot better than the Honda Hybrid. First, the suspension in the IS350 is a lot stiffer. Secondly, the IS350 comes with performance summer tires vs. regular all season tire on the Honda Hybrid. Suspension + tires are two major components that drives handling. IS350 is a sport sedan while the hybrid is more family oriented car. They are in two different categories. I'm sure you will agree that IS350 feels a lot sportier than the hybrid. If these two bone stock cars are put on track, I will put all my money that the IS350 will have better lap times due to higher HP and better handling.

Anyways, congrats on your new purchase and sad to see you leave CL.
Old 05-13-15, 12:08 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm not sure if I overly lucked out in this situation but I took the deal and now am a new owner of the 15' Accord Hybrid EX-L model. !
Congratulations on the new ride!! I am not sure I understand what happened that made the give you so much better deal on this car vs. the ones you initially looked at; was it because the car had been titled to the golfer so you are technically the second owner? In any case, it doesn't sound like anything that should affect you or your enjoyment of the vehicle in any meaningful way.

I drove a colleague's brand new Civic Si a few months ago, and got a kick out of that blind spot camera that comes on when you signal for a right turn. I'm sure I'd also enjoy all the other cool new technology on your hybrid.

On the Tesla, since it uses no gas due to fully electric, it is realistically infinite MPG because anything divided by a number that is converging to 0 is infinite
It may be technically infinite MPG, but since electricity isn't free that really isn't a useful comparison. The EPA rates electric cars in MPGe, which correlates different fuels (gasoline, electricity, compressed natural gas) based on their energy content, so that a meaningful comparison can be made between alternative and traditionally fueled vehicles.

I believe the Tesla Model S is rated at 88 MPGe city, and 90 MPGe highway.
Old 05-13-15, 02:01 PM
eplugplay
Driver

I think you mean it feels more comfortable and quiet. Everything in the hybrid seems to be smooth and so forth. It is in fact a different feel when you drive a hybrid car.

In term of handling, I beg to differ. IS350 bone stock can handle a lot better than the Honda Hybrid. First, the suspension in the IS350 is a lot stiffer. Secondly, the IS350 comes with performance summer tires vs. regular all season tire on the Honda Hybrid. Suspension + tires are two major components that drives handling. IS350 is a sport sedan while the hybrid is more family oriented car. They are in two different categories. I'm sure you will agree that IS350 feels a lot sportier than the hybrid. If these two bone stock cars are put on track, I will put all my money that the IS350 will have better lap times due to higher HP and better handling.

Anyways, congrats on your new purchase and sad to see you leave CL.
I'll still be lurking around here as I still have some love for the IS350s and other Lexus lineup. And I still think the Lexus looks bounds and leaps better than my Accord Hybrid in terms of car beauty. I'll keep my eye out on some new releases in the future just to gawk at, lol.

I would also of course put my money on the IS350 on a track, definitely but I'm not sure if it was just my IS350 but making turns or cornering the Accord Hybrid has alot less body roll as well as feeling more glued to the ground. I was looking to getting the front and back sway bars for my 350 but never got to around doing it. Maybe it would have been significantly better?

I can turn alot faster and make sharper turns on this Accord than I could ever on the IS350, at least the 2013 version. Most of the time, I felt like it was really floaty especially going on higher speeds on the freeway.
Old 05-13-15, 02:04 PM
eplugplay
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Congratulations on the new ride!! I am not sure I understand what happened that made the give you so much better deal on this car vs. the ones you initially looked at; was it because the car had been titled to the golfer so you are technically the second owner? In any case, it doesn't sound like anything that should affect you or your enjoyment of the vehicle in any meaningful way.

I drove a colleague's brand new Civic Si a few months ago, and got a kick out of that blind spot camera that comes on when you signal for a right turn. I'm sure I'd also enjoy all the other cool new technology on your hybrid.

It may be technically infinite MPG, but since electricity isn't free that really isn't a useful comparison. The EPA rates electric cars in MPGe, which correlates different fuels (gasoline, electricity, compressed natural gas) based on their energy content, so that a meaningful comparison can be made between alternative and traditionally fueled vehicles.

I believe the Tesla Model S is rated at 88 MPGe city, and 90 MPGe highway.
Thanks, I honestly don't know how they got the price from $6800 all the way down to $2549. Maybe after the first owner returned it, it did have 60 miles on the odometer (actually 100 by the time they drove it to my dealership). Could that have any influence of the significant drop in price? Anyway, I'm stoked about the gas saving factor!

Today there was a huge flood on the feeder that caused the high way to have horrible traffic and I had to get over to the right lane (was in the middle lane), the right mirror's camera sure came in handy since all I had to do was stare at the camera and you can immediately tell when to make your move, lol.

Also now that I'm going to be in the stop and go traffic, I can take advantage of a "B" drive mode where braking actually helps recharge my battery every time I decelerate and brake. I'm going to try to get 50 mpg or higher, it really does feel like a video game, haha. Especially when you're done driving and it gives you an eco score of how well you did so I always strive for 5 green leaves out of 5.

Last edited by eplugplay; 05-13-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 03:07 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I'll still be lurking around here as I still have some love for the IS350s and other Lexus lineup. And I still think the Lexus looks bounds and leaps better than my Accord Hybrid in terms of car beauty. I'll keep my eye out on some new releases in the future just to gawk at, lol.

I would also of course put my money on the IS350 on a track, definitely but I'm not sure if it was just my IS350 but making turns or cornering the Accord Hybrid has alot less body roll as well as feeling more glued to the ground. I was looking to getting the front and back sway bars for my 350 but never got to around doing it. Maybe it would have been significantly better?

I can turn alot faster and make sharper turns on this Accord than I could ever on the IS350, at least the 2013 version. Most of the time, I felt like it was really floaty especially going on higher speeds on the freeway.
Oh i see. That is good to hear.

I believe you did not push the IS350 to it limit yet. Initially, yes, it could feel floaty and stuff like you describe on normal street. However, I hope you don't come into conclusion that it does not handle as well as other cars based on that initial impression.

The IS350 is comfortable and smooth on the street when you don't push it. On autocross and track when you push it to its limit, I can assure you it is a beast! It handles on par with other sport sedans and even sport coupes. To be honest, in the beginning, I did not like IS350 handling due to its heavy weight. Until I start tracking my IS350, I start loving it so much more. Seriously, most if not all people who said it is floaty and handle not so well on the street usually do not push the car to its limit on track yet.

Sometimes on empty street, I have drifted the IS350 for fun and it is so fun to drive but lot of the times, I like drifting it in autocross with power oversteering fish tail effect. It is easy to initiate the power oversteer as well as sustaining it with the IS350. Whoever tried it will love it so much.

I as well as redspencer, sportkid1 etc and various members who track the IS350 all love its handling. redspencer, i believe, autocross the car even more than I do and he can tell you how good the IS350 handles. IS350 can actually compete and hang with M3 on track.

I hope my sharing shed you some new light on the IS350. At the same time, enjoy the new Honda Hybrid and appreciate what it does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of Selling 2013 IS350 for Accord Hybrid 2015