IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 04:41 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Oh yeah, the jolt and shifting of the panels also caused my passenger-side headlight bracket to break too! Scary how similar our results are from the same incident.

Just to confirm, you're running stock wheels/stock suspension/stock tire size when all of this happened? I was 100% stock at this point; not so much any more.
Old 05-05-15, 04:48 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Oh yeah, the jolt and shifting of the panels also caused my passenger-side headlight bracket to break too! Scary how similar our results are from the same incident.

Just to confirm, you're running stock wheels/stock suspension/stock tire size when all of this happened? I was 100% stock at this point; not so much any more.
BONE STOCK... 18' wheels with sport suspension
Old 05-05-15, 05:25 PM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You all might want to dump your 2is's off now, because I'm spamming Craigslist's across the country letting everyone know of this structural defect so your alls cars aren't going to be worth even $10k at this point, especially if a $10k dent repair essentially "totals" them.

That way you all can't try to dump your problem off on someone else without them knowing beforehand, and not overpaying for your compromised vehicles. Most people wouldn't even notice it from the naked eye and you might've been able to pass the issue off on them as a golf ball landed on it and got close to full asking price for it. But not on my watch you're not. Not if I got something to say about it.

I'm not going to stand by and sit idle to hear a report of someone rolling their used 2is and having their roof cave completely in on them because a small dent caused a weak point in the entire roof structure causing it to fail and collapse crushing everyone inside.

No offense but your cars are worth their weight in scrap metal at this point, and expect $5-10k in value decrease thanks to this newfound knowledge. Nothing but salvage titles at this point as far as I'm concerned, they all have frame damage.
Old 05-05-15, 05:41 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
^ in my case, the rubber adjustment bushing under the hood on the drivers side is all the way up, and yet the hood is showing down by 3-4mm compared to the fender
Mine is all the way the up as well. Hood is still low..^^ about to get real in here now lol .
Old 05-05-15, 05:44 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RUCKER
You all might want to dump your 2is's off now, because I'm spamming Craigslist's across the country letting everyone know of this structural defect so your alls cars aren't going to be worth even $10k at this point, especially if a $10k dent repair essentially "totals" them.

That way you all can't try to dump your problem off on someone else without them knowing beforehand, and not overpaying for your compromised vehicles. Most people wouldn't even notice it from the naked eye and you might've been able to pass the issue off on them as a golf ball landed on it and got close to full asking price for it. But not on my watch you're not. Not if I got something to say about it.

I'm not going to stand by and sit idle to hear a report of someone rolling their used 2is and having their roof cave completely in on them because a small dent caused a weak point in the entire roof structure causing it to fail and collapse crushing everyone inside.

No offense but your cars are worth their weight in scrap metal at this point, and expect $5-10k in value decrease thanks to this newfound knowledge. Nothing but salvage titles at this point as far as I'm concerned, they all have frame damage.
Aren't you the scholar that thinks a 250 and 350 have different size bodies? LOL

I'm going to list my car for over Blue book just to spite you.
Old 05-05-15, 08:31 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if the IS without moonroof is more rigid.

Surely there are countries where the IS does not come with a moonroof, and instead has maybe a structural member there to beef up rigidity?

I was going over some really rough roads today in my 3GS. They stripped the top few inches of asphalt, and all that was left were uneven gravel and potholes.
All I could think of was this thread.
Old 05-05-15, 08:39 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Thanks to you I'm going to finally get an ISF!

Originally Posted by Sceanzo
Aren't you the scholar that thinks a 250 and 350 have different size bodies? LOL

I'm going to list my car for over Blue book just to spite you.
I'm going to skip the widebody IS350 and go straight to the widebody widebody ISF!
Old 05-05-15, 09:18 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see any dents on my roof, but there aren't a lot of potholes here. I accidentally drive over a pothole only a few times.
Originally Posted by blowndave
The body shop and adjuster said you have to hit it just right in the sweet spot. If you get it just right, minimal force is necessary
Would that still be call a sweet spot though?

Originally Posted by jennie
Any pictures of the pothole?
Old 05-06-15, 06:00 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a bonehead move. Why would you want to do that and cause existing Lexus owners investments to drop in value?
Old 05-06-15, 06:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

insurance fixed it. we are in the process of approaching lexus, a case is currently open, for possible reimbursement of the deductible and possible diminished value.

i normally don't do things like this but after all we found during our research, it is a defect. plain and simple
Did they simply straighten it out or also braced it?
Old 05-06-15, 06:47 AM
eplugplay
Driver

Wow, I've never heard about this issue until now. About a year ago, I hit a pretty big pothole on the driver's side and it shattered my left fog lamp. I replaced it myself but I never tried checking for uneven hood or the dent on the roof.

I do have a sun roof so I checked last night and I'm lucky that I didn't get any dents or an uneven hood. But now I'm very weary of any potholes after finding this out, thanks again for the heads up!
Old 05-06-15, 08:13 AM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Did they simply straighten it out or also braced it?
Straightened it out. No reinforcing hence just a matter of time.
Old 05-06-15, 09:26 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, i have hit many potholes at speed 20-30 mph, so far no problems. how fast were you going?
Old 05-06-15, 12:03 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I checked my '10 350 last night. I don't have a roof dent, but the front corners of my hood are slightly lower than the front of the fenders. With that said, the rest of the hood is perfectly level with the fenders.

With the location of the strut towers, I would think the misalignment would be present further up the hood/fender. I'm not doubting the OP or others like GVille, but people shouldn't be so quick to accept that they have frame damage just b/c their hood is misaligned.
Old 05-06-15, 12:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Straightened it out. No reinforcing hence just a matter of time.
what? That is super ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look