Hey Guys,

The car is an 07' IS350 with 98.5k miles

My cel came on a couple weeks ago one cold morning with:

P043E - Evap orifice clogged
P043F - Evap orifice high flow
P2401 - Evap Circuit low
P2402 - Evap Circuit High
P2419 - NA

Cleared the codes that day. Went online and did a little research and found a little bit about Matrix's with this problem saying you need to replace the Evap Canister. Didn't worry about it and waited a couple days to see if it came back on. It did, and has, but never while driving. Always on an early morning cold start.

So I did more research and tried to find more info directed towards our 2IS's. And found a thread on here talking about how it's just the cold weather freaking the system out and not to worry about it.

I'm thinking I have an actual issue not involving cold weather. Anyone on here have these codes and know what needs to be replaced in order to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance, Johnny
Old 04-01-15, 01:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If the CELs keep returning after the spring warm-up, I'd have a shop with a good A/C machine check it.
Old 04-01-15, 01:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
If the CELs keep returning after the spring warm-up, I'd have a shop with a good A/C machine check it.
These DTCs have nothing to do with the air conditioner. They are for the evaporative emissions system, which traps gasoline vapors in a charcoal canister and later burns them off rather than allowing them to vent to the atmosphere.

I found this TSB for the Corolla that seems to match the OP's symptoms exactly: http://engine-codes.com/uploads/toyota/EG002-06.pdf I'm not certain whether the evaporative emissions system in the IS has a similar design.
Old 04-01-15, 04:49 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's interesting is all your codes contradict themselves. Clogged/high flow and low/high voltage. Do you have techstream by any chance ?
Old 04-02-15, 04:43 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work at a Toyota dealership and a lot of times when I see contradicting codes like this it is usually some kind of leak like loose gas cap, faulty gas cap, torn broken or loose hose. However It usually has a leak code with it although I have seen a few without it. If you have had any service done recently I would make sure all evap lines are connected around intake etc. on a few of our cars it's almost impossible to check an air filter without having to reconnect lines. If you end up bringing it to a dealer ship make sure your fuel level is around 1/4-3/4 full. They can't run proper evap checks with more than or less than 8 or 9 tenths fuel level
Old 04-02-15, 06:52 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,

From my experience, these codes are the charcoal canister death codes. What happens is that the vacuum pump fails, and it is built into the canister.
Old 04-02-15, 08:32 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah not a dude lucky you i am so close to being a master at toyota. are you just master or mdt? if you don't mind me running one by you i have a customer with an ongoing issue in a 03 s300 with a tps code throwing the car into limp. so far i haven't had it act up long enough to diagnose it cause it always clears itself up. before customer brought it to us he put a tips in it then replaced the entire throttle body. from what i poked around at everything at this point says ecu. any experience with this problem
Old 04-03-15, 08:32 PM
PepperERev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hirsch2is
I work at a Toyota dealership and a lot of times when I see contradicting codes like this it is usually some kind of leak like loose gas cap, faulty gas cap, torn broken or loose hose. However It usually has a leak code with it although I have seen a few without it. If you have had any service done recently I would make sure all evap lines are connected around intake etc. on a few of our cars it's almost impossible to check an air filter without having to reconnect lines. If you end up bringing it to a dealer ship make sure your fuel level is around 1/4-3/4 full. They can't run proper evap checks with more than or less than 8 or 9 tenths fuel level
I'll poke around my engine bay for the hell of it

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus Master Tech here,

From my experience, these codes are the charcoal canister death codes. What happens is that the vacuum pump fails, and it is built into the canister.
I found new ones for around 600. I also found used ones for under 300....but am skeptical on buying something like this used. I ALSO found 2 different aftermarket companys sell Purge Solenoids for 60 on rockauto...would it even be worth the shot in replacing that and seeing if it does the trick? Any advice? And if I was to run the car for a bit with the failed part, will it potentially hurt other components on my vehicle? Sorry for all the questions I just HATE emission systems but also hate CEL's so I like fixing these type of things with the least cost.

And thanks everyone else for the input.

Last edited by PepperERev; 04-03-15 at 08:36 PM.