IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS250 rear ended, any advice during repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 10:51 AM
kb03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 IS250 rear ended, any advice during repair?

Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

We were rear ended while out of town and everyone in both cars is OK. The other driver admitted fault, we got a police report, and everything is going through their insurance (USAA).

I got it checked out in Flagstaff AZ to make sure it's driveable and the body shop did an estimate. It came out to about $2900. USAA is sending me a check for this amount. That estimate included an aftermarket bumper (cheap non-lexus part?), rear panel, and one muffler tip.

I was told that I can drive it back home to CA, take it to my shop of choice and have them do a supplemental to get it repaired. USAA said they will send the additional money (if required for the supplemental) directly to my body shop. I plan to drop it off at a local shop in CA on Friday.

Now my questions...
1. Is it normal for body shops to put non-Lexus parts on for a repair?
- What can I do to ensure that only OEM parts are used?
- Or is there anything I can do if USAA will only pay for aftermarket parts?
2. Admittedly I haven't taken great care of the muffler tips. If they just replace the damaged one, one brand new muffler tip and one old tip will definitely look bad. Is it possible that I can get them to replace both?
3. Any other advice?

Thanks for looking!

Old 12-31-14, 11:44 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many insurance companies will buy non-oem or salvaged parts to repair damaged vehicles. This is to save themselves $$. I personally would not accept the check until they agree to supplement for new OEM parts and you receive a second estimate. If the insurance agent will not budge, escalate up the chain. Your car came with OEM parts prior to the accident. You or your car should not be penalized for their client's negligence. If you are persistent, they typically will cave.

You're SOL regarding the muffler tip. The other is not damaged, so they are not liable to replace it. If it ends up that your exhaust is damaged pending the second estimate, then that's a different story.
Old 12-31-14, 12:57 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ agreed as above stated. ONLY accept it if you're satisfied. Remember they are at fault not you. I wouldn't worry too much because the damage is minimal. Looks like the frame is safe but make for certain. The body shop may replace both tips, they want to make money too so you might get lucky?
Old 12-31-14, 01:21 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Might as well get the aimgain rear bumper or something lmao
Old 12-31-14, 03:32 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also remember that in many cases once you cash their check the law assumes you have released liability from the insurance company and they are no longer on the hook for any further damage that is found. I would keep that check in your back pocket and get a full estimate once you get home to make sure there are not other issues to be found. Only cash it once everything is fully resolved in your eyes.
Old 12-31-14, 03:58 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also make sure you use a good shop. Yelp them. I've made the mistake of not doing that on previous cars and regretted it later...for sure.
Old 12-31-14, 04:42 PM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the looks of ur pic it seem like the floor pan is also damage..i would take it to a reputable shop and have them tear it down to see further damages..
Also u can argue with the insurance company to have all parts replace with oem and not aftermarket parts..
Old 12-31-14, 05:11 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to get the car fixed right. Talk directly with the body shop that you CHOOSE and not their insurance estimator. The body shop should deal directly with the paper work with the insurance. Make sure your shop representative give you updates on every single process of what is being replaced, what paint they use, and how they use it with paper work laying out all the part, paint, and labor clearly. They can't do the work unless you authorize it. During this process, you can ask for OEM parts and ensure your car goes back to the original state.

Do NOT cash their check and sign off any release of liability paper if you haven't fixed anything.
Old 12-31-14, 08:16 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Like what was mentioned, use a shop of your choosing. They will pull all of the parts off and get a much better look at the damage and determine what additional parts might be needed for the repair. They will speak with the insurance company to get additional funds; you won't need to battle with insurance about it, they should for you. To me, that price seems low seeing the amount of the damage and what components were actually damaged. The damage appears to include some damage to the lower trunk portion where the spare sits. Not something that can be merely hammered out.
Old 01-01-15, 11:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kb03
Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

We were rear ended while out of town and everyone in both cars is OK. The other driver admitted fault, we got a police report, and everything is going through their insurance (USAA).

I got it checked out in Flagstaff AZ to make sure it's driveable and the body shop did an estimate. It came out to about $2900. USAA is sending me a check for this amount. That estimate included an aftermarket bumper (cheap non-lexus part?), rear panel, and one muffler tip.

I was told that I can drive it back home to CA, take it to my shop of choice and have them do a supplemental to get it repaired. USAA said they will send the additional money (if required for the supplemental) directly to my body shop. I plan to drop it off at a local shop in CA on Friday.

Now my questions...
1. Is it normal for body shops to put non-Lexus parts on for a repair?
- What can I do to ensure that only OEM parts are used?
- Or is there anything I can do if USAA will only pay for aftermarket parts?
2. Admittedly I haven't taken great care of the muffler tips. If they just replace the damaged one, one brand new muffler tip and one old tip will definitely look bad. Is it possible that I can get them to replace both?
3. Any other advice?

Thanks for looking!

USAA is an excellent insurer. If you are not happy with what they offer, give it a shot to push them a little.

I have USAA, and they covered an accident I had while the insurance companies sorted everything out, before it was established the other driver was at fault. At the time, my car was 1 year old, and USAA actually required the body shop to use OEM parts, since the car was less than 2 years old.

USAA has a network of pre-approved body shops, but also is pretty flexible to let you choose your own shop too.
Old 01-01-15, 04:46 PM
kb03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information everyone! I'll find a good local shop and follow your advice.

Unfortunately I live in an area without many Lexus cars (Antelope Valley) and I bet most shops here have never even worked on an IS before... so I want to point out as much as I can to them. Looking at the car, the center of the exhaust seems a little lower than normal. It's about as low as the height of the rubber on the tires, is that normal for a stock car on 17" wheels?

Taking it to the shop tomorrow, I'll update with results.