IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 06:34 PM
HybridHB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have their dashes replaced at lexus of orlando? What they tell me doesnt match what the letters from HQ or others are reporting here. When I brought my car in they didnt even look at it. They just added me to a list where he said lexus already knows who needs dashes and will just send them when available. That doesnt match what the letter from lexus that said the dealer would need to inspect and order the replacement parts. I feel like they dont know whats going on over there :/
Old 11-11-15, 07:08 PM
Drivers408
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HybridHB
Anyone have their dashes replaced at lexus of orlando? What they tell me doesnt match what the letters from HQ or others are reporting here. When I brought my car in they didnt even look at it. They just added me to a list where he said lexus already knows who needs dashes and will just send them when available. That doesnt match what the letter from lexus that said the dealer would need to inspect and order the replacement parts. I feel like they dont know whats going on over there :/
Yeah I was told the same thing when I called to have the car inspected. They just asked me what parts needed to replaced. I told them all four panels and dash were showing the signs. She just said ok we'll order all the parts for your car and put me on the list. I was there last week and ask them about it and she said that it will be alittle while before they get the parts for the IS. She also said Lexus is aware the IS is most affected and that may be why they are taking longer than expected because they have to make so many replacements parts.
Old 11-11-15, 07:50 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Drivers408
She also said Lexus is aware the IS is most affected and that may be why they are taking longer than expected because they have to make so many replacements parts.
Surprising considering there are way more RX's on the road for the affected years than IS's.
Old 11-12-15, 08:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was planning to pay the dealer to fix the needles if there were some cost advantage while the dash was being done (I am way out of warranty for the needles).
Not to get off topic, but what part of fixing the needles jacks up the cost? If it's not the removal of them, is it the electrical portion? If it's as costly as I once thought I read, maybe my idea of having it all done with the dash replacement is a failed thought...
The cost is for the ENTIRE new gauge cluster... Comes new from Lexus and the part is ordered & preprogrammed with your current mileage, from Denso..

$1k plus for the part.. The labor is a joke to swap clusters.

Joe Z
Old 11-13-15, 08:53 AM
HybridHB
Rookie

Seems like everyone has an issue with their needles too. I wonder if that will ever be a class action? It sounds like a high failure rate like the melting dashes.
Old 11-13-15, 03:16 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HybridHB
Seems like everyone has an issue with their needles too. I wonder if that will ever be a class action? It sounds like a high failure rate like the melting dashes.
Nothing wrong with mine.
Old 11-16-15, 08:43 AM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I am getting my gauges replaced too as well as the dashboard and all door panels. Taking the car in this Wednesday. The RPM gauge has 1 LED out, but I can tell this will drive me insane. So I got them to look at it, I believe they are still waiting on a door panel to come in, however I'm dropping the car off ASAP.
Old 11-16-15, 10:49 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got my dash replaced, I got an all wheel drive 2015 IS250 for a loaner, the interior is completely different, a lot of new technology incorporated to new model that I was kind of lost at first to find the right buttons to operate things. Got the car back today, no weird smelling and really happy with the familiar cockpit again with a brand new dash. Will have to come back another day for the door panels since they are not here yet, let's hope the wait won't be as long.
Old 11-16-15, 11:07 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by my07is350
Finally got my dash replaced, I got an all wheel drive 2015 IS250 for a loaner, the interior is completely different, a lot of new technology incorporated to new model that I was kind of lost at first to find the right buttons to operate things. Got the car back today, no weird smelling and really happy with the familiar cockpit again with a brand new dash. Will have to come back another day for the door panels since they are not here yet, let's hope the wait won't be as long.
Where in Ca?
Old 11-16-15, 11:35 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
Where in Ca?
I wonder if the is200T is available as a loaner! I usually get an RX350, or a new ES350. Apparently they have a GX470 and an LS available sometimes i'm gonna request one of those! good to hear that the smell isn't widespread.
Old 11-16-15, 11:43 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by srt1
Where in Ca?
I'm actually in CO now. It was done at Stenvinson Lexus of Frederick.
Old 11-16-15, 01:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Just got my secondary letter from Lexus in the mail over the weekend. However, it only says to call up your local Lexus dealership and schedule a time for a viewing to see if you qualify for the recall.

I guess I'll pencil this in whenever is convenient for me and hope for the best. Dash is a for sure, along with the driver side door panels (melting/cracking) and rear passenger door (door handle rubber is flaking off). Oddly, the passenger side front panel has done very well; just some minor wear on the rubber part of the grab handle. Curious to see if they recall that panel along with all the others. If not, I'll probably just pay for a new one to match a fully matching NEW set.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-16-15, 01:24 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
Just got my secondary letter from Lexus in the mail over the weekend. However, it only says to call up your local Lexus dealership and schedule a time for a viewing to see if you qualify for the recall.

I guess I'll pencil this in whenever is convenient for me and hope for the best. Dash is a for sure, along with the driver side door panels (melting/cracking) and rear passenger door (door handle rubber is flaking off). Oddly, the passenger side front panel has done very well; just some minor wear on the rubber part of the grab handle. Curious to see if they recall that panel along with all the others. If not, I'll probably just pay for a new one to match a fully matching NEW set.

Wish me luck!
With all the defects you described, I don't see any problem why they will not approve you for the replacement, they are so obvious. Good luck man!
Old 11-16-15, 03:28 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by my07is350
Newport Beach Lexus called me a month ago to bring my IS350 in for dash replacement. I went there & said what about the door panels? They said they would have to order them & they had to be the same color as the originals,so I had to wait until they had everything there to replace all at once last monday.

Anyway it looks like new

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-17-15 at 06:49 PM. Reason: keep fs in classifieds
Old 11-16-15, 05:37 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Got the letter in the mail today, Im not exactly exhibiting melting or cracking but it is sticky. I tried to get my local dealer to replace but they said that being in the northeast, its not as hot and since the dash isn't cracked they wouldn't replace.

When you guys say the dash melted, what do you guys mean? Mine still retains its shape, its just sticky and soft. easily indents.

Should i try to fight for a new dash?

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!