IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 01:11 PM
HybridHB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been waiting for years for the door panels to come in. I dont know why my dealership called and asked if I still owned the vehicle so they can place the order for panels back in march. The year has passed and apparently im still 200 something on the list, which is the same place I was earlier in the year...
Old 12-13-18, 04:56 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bdazzler
Nice, I tried to tell people to call the Toyota # I posted instead of dealing w/ dealers. They don't get paid full retail but do make money on this and the parts but it's not in their interests to do this work instead of a regular customer who's paying way too much for labor and parts at a dealer.

It's up to Toyota to push the dealers to get this stuff done. Only reason they're doing it is because they got $ued!
I called that number they told me to call lexus they can't deal with any lexus products.
Old 12-13-18, 05:14 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Petet
I called that number they told me to call lexus they can't deal with any lexus products.
You have to call the Lexus number or visit a Lexus dealer. The number he posted was for Toyota and he called for his 09 Camry hybrid. It may be too late though to call it depending on year, make and mileage.
Old 01-03-19, 09:44 AM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2009 IS 350, and my door panels have this problem. The black coating turned sticky and rubbed off exposing yellow plastic underneath. It seems that it has to do with hand oils.

My dash is slightly sticky. I'm not sure if it warrants a replacement.

It is not as bad as others with earlier models have had. I suspect that Lexus changed their plastic formula. That may be also why they set the warranty extension program cutoff for 2008 models.

I asked the Lexus corporate representative about this while on the line about a different recall. He assigned a case manager, and it sounds like they might be replacing my panels. I believe someone in this thread posted that their is an unofficial extension of 10 years past the warranty date. That seems to be what I'm qualifying for.
Old 01-24-19, 10:14 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after a 1 year wait for the new dash and 2 year wait for the door panels I can finally sigh a relief to no more sticky, reflective nonsense! The door panel material is fine just like the dash. My only gripe is that my blinkers/hazard lights don't work and when I try to use the switch stalk an annoying buzzing/clicking/ringing endless noise comes out from near the cluster gauge...BUT other than that I'm a happy camper. The service advisor I know pretty well had to take the door panels from another owner because she wasn't responding so keep trying!
Old 01-24-19, 12:35 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by retaj
I have a 2009 IS 350, and my door panels have this problem. The black coating turned sticky and rubbed off exposing yellow plastic underneath. It seems that it has to do with hand oils.

My dash is slightly sticky. I'm not sure if it warrants a replacement.

It is not as bad as others with earlier models have had. I suspect that Lexus changed their plastic formula. That may be also why they set the warranty extension program cutoff for 2008 models.

I asked the Lexus corporate representative about this while on the line about a different recall. He assigned a case manager, and it sounds like they might be replacing my panels. I believe someone in this thread posted that their is an unofficial extension of 10 years past the warranty date. That seems to be what I'm qualifying for.
Did you or previous owners complain before the warranty was up. I bought a is250 very clean condition but it was cold out. Now it warmed up and my dash is a little sticky. Door panels seem fine but I'm scared for when the summer hit what's gonna happen. I called corperate and they said they can't do anything since the previous owner hadn't complained before the warranty was up. Should I keep trying?
Old 01-24-19, 12:40 PM
kkhan225
Driver School Candidate

Is this still active?
Old 02-22-19, 12:08 AM
HybridHB
Rookie

I just had my door panels replaced by lexus after waiting for years. I dont know if this was covered or if its true, but my lexus advisor said when the campaign started it wasnt a recall and a bunch of people got on the list to get dashes and doors fixed. Then it turned into a recall and everyone who got on the list after this point was prioritized. So the early birds got screwed, maybe that explains why some people only had to wait a week while others waited years.
Old 02-22-19, 12:28 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HybridHB
I just had my door panels replaced by lexus after waiting for years. I dont know if this was covered or if its true, but my lexus advisor said when the campaign started it wasnt a recall and a bunch of people got on the list to get dashes and doors fixed. Then it turned into a recall and everyone who got on the list after this point was prioritized. So the early birds got screwed, maybe that explains why some people only had to wait a week while others waited years.

They Said it was a recall? They used to call it a warranty enhancement or something.... I wasn't lucky enough to get on the list. The previous owner didnt get on the list in time.

I had to buy new front panels from eBay.
Old 02-22-19, 06:07 PM
junX3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soulific
They Said it was a recall? They used to call it a warranty enhancement or something.... I wasn't lucky enough to get on the list. The previous owner didnt get on the list in time.

hi
u mind sharing how the new panels working out?
cost nearly 1k for a single panel in my country...thats 4k to replace the whole car...i am considering just rewrapping the melted/chipped off parts along with the dashboard but it affects the air bags
Old 03-02-19, 09:31 PM
HybridHB
Rookie

Thats what he said but I dont think hes correct. My wife has a 2008 is250 and her panels have been perfect until the last few months where the dash is starting to get sticky by the windshield. A few days ago she received a letter from lexus saying they initiated a voluntary customer support program to replace her dash and door panels and that it is not a recall. She never complained about the dash/doors at the dealership since its never been an issue but lexus seems to still be proactively fixing them.
Old 03-02-19, 09:33 PM
HybridHB
Rookie

Does anyone know if the new dashes/doors will eventually melt or if the problem was really fixed?
Old 03-04-19, 12:45 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HybridHB
Does anyone know if the new dashes/doors will eventually melt or if the problem was really fixed?
I forgot to update, the idiot NTX dealers caused my car to rattle a lot they tried to force a pioneer tweeter into my ML system and they blamed me for complaining about them not even affixing the door panel to the door. There is a pending lawsuit against Park Place Plano in Texas I would advise you to steer clear of them.
Old 03-04-19, 02:26 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I purchased mine from a mixture of eBay and local ads. I purchased mine from 2010-2012 models and so far they are holding up fine.

I figured the quality of later years panels should be better as they realized their was a issue. I purchased my door panels for about $250 each.

Still have not purchased the dash as the labor involved to switch it out is time consuming. And I don't want to pay dealership to do it.
Old 03-04-19, 01:52 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

EXTENDED RECALL or WARRANTY but why worry about what it's called. Call Toyota HQ number I posted earlier ASAP. You might get lucky and still get it replaced. Your local dealer doesn't care and you're WASTING YOUR TIME trying to negotiate with them.

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!