ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   How to permanently turn off rear view mirror? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/762336-how-to-permanently-turn-off-rear-view-mirror.html)

Lostabroad 11-05-14 08:35 AM

How to permanently turn off rear view mirror?

Not sure about the rest of you, but I can't stand that anti-glare feature or whatever it is for the rear view mirrors that some cars offer. My 2009 Lexus is250 has it "on" by default, and it is just annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive at night. Is there any way to permanently disable it or pull a fuse for it?

Sorry if this is an easy fix or has been posted before. I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. Hoping it will be as easy as turning off the seatbelt chime, which I found the details on this forum!

valeoray 11-05-14 09:25 AM

Don't you just need to press the "auto" button at the bottom middle of the mirror?

NikonGuy 11-05-14 09:34 AM

Yeah but you have to press it each and every time you turn the car on

metaleckz 11-05-14 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by NikonGuy (Post 8776245)
Yeah but you have to press it each and every time you turn the car on

Cut the wires lol

keyframe13 11-05-14 10:42 AM

Buy a cheap mirror and put it on top with rubber band:)

xanderES 11-05-14 11:11 AM

Pull off the covers from the rear view mirror neck to the headliner. Disconnect the harness.
Not sure if it will throw a dash light but I doubt it.

CMACE23 11-05-14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lostabroad (Post 8776152)
Not sure about the rest of you, but I can't stand that anti-glare feature or whatever it is for the rear view mirrors that some cars offer. My 2009 Lexus is250 has it "on" by default, and it is just annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive at night. Is there any way to permanently disable it or pull a fuse for it?

Sorry if this is an easy fix or has been posted before. I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. Hoping it will be as easy as turning off the seatbelt chime, which I found the details on this forum!

I'm sorry I don't have a "fix" for you but I myself don't like that feature either.

Lostabroad 11-10-14 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by xanderES (Post 8776406)
Pull off the covers from the rear view mirror neck to the headliner. Disconnect the harness.
Not sure if it will throw a dash light but I doubt it.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This might be the simplest resolution. I was just nervous that something strange might happen on the electrical end if I were to mess around with the wiring, but I find that dimming thing so annoying that I'm wiling to screw up other functions just to turn it off.

iNfectious 11-10-14 04:10 PM

I turn it off every time I get in the car but who knows when some car will come behind and blind you.

I still like the old manual way of dimming it.

andper10 11-10-14 08:14 PM

I'm with you, the classic flip style rear view mirrors are better. I covered the rear-facing sensor near the garage door opener buttons with one of the large dots from a (cheaper at Fry's Electronics if you have one nearby). It isn't very noticeable (but it is more glossy than the surrounding plastic), and it is large enough that there is a little bit that doesn't sit flush with the mirror so I can quickly pull it off if needed. I haven't pulled it off yet and it has been on there for about a month with many hours of night driving.

You can figure out where to cover by covering it up with your finger first and watching to make sure the tint goes away. Electrical tape or some other opaque material would also work, but I wanted the option to remove and reattach it easily while driving without it being very noticeable while in place.

xanderES 11-10-14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostabroad (Post 8781894)
Thanks for all the replies guys. This might be the simplest resolution. I was just nervous that something strange might happen on the electrical end if I were to mess around with the wiring, but I find that dimming thing so annoying that I'm wiling to screw up other functions just to turn it off.

Given that the rear view mirror only has a light, a compass, garage opener, and the auto dim function the probability of it messing anything important up is almost 0. If there is, post it in this thread for future reference!

iNfectious 11-11-14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by andper10 (Post 8783098)
I'm with you, the classic flip style rear view mirrors are better. I covered the rear-facing sensor near the garage door opener buttons with one of the large dots from a LightDims Black Out pack (cheaper at Fry's Electronics if you have one nearby). It isn't very noticeable (but it is more glossy than the surrounding plastic), and it is large enough that there is a little bit that doesn't sit flush with the mirror so I can quickly pull it off if needed. I haven't pulled it off yet and it has been on there for about a month with many hours of night driving.

You can figure out where to cover by covering it up with your finger first and watching to make sure the tint goes away. Electrical tape or some other opaque material would also work, but I wanted the option to remove and reattach it easily while driving without it being very noticeable while in place.

Nice idea thanks!

Lol at LightDims Black out. Nice money maker.

nosurprise 11-11-14 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by xanderES (Post 8783202)
Given that the rear view mirror only has a light, a compass, garage opener, and the auto dim function the probability of it messing anything important up is almost 0. If there is, post it in this thread for future reference!

lol, yes, please let us know if the car blows up.

xanderES 11-11-14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by nosurprise (Post 8784578)
lol, yes, please let us know if the car blows up.

Hey, might as well have something good come out of it right? Always was a glass half full kinda guy :D