IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to me Car Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 07:25 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me Car Adventure

Part of me just doesn't want to write the check. My old car will be traded before smog is due again. I was all excited by a 2010 IS350, but the person who owned it was so dodgy. They wouldn't give me their # and they wanted to meet in a parking lot. They also wouldn't contact me for hours through email and when they did it was like, "Can you get here in 30mins?" Absolutely sparing no time for me to see the car. They even changed the price from 16k to 14,800, to 16k again. While that went on, I got all excited over a 2014 IS350 for 22,900, which according to Autocheck looked like it had been in a serious accident. When it finally got to the dealergship, they raised the price by 5k. I had found a 2011 back in Feb for an incredible price, but missed out on getting that. I keep thinking that since the 2007 looks mostly like a 2012 and I could put on the lights and new mirrors, perhaps an older one that I can have til depreciation will get me into something I want more, say a 2014 or a 2011 ISF.

Well looking today, I found one. 2007 with less than 100k. I wish it had tinted windows, but it does have the Mark Levinson sound that I wanted. There are still some other cars out there and I ask myself, "do you really want a 10 yo car?"

The 2007 is going for around 10k and it has a clean report from Carfax. The dealer is at least 60 miles away, and I might have to go and see it. There are other cars that I like, but I keep telling myself that the IS350 is the car I really want (at least in the 10-20k range) I would consider a 2009 911 with PDK, but you know.

I know that they improved the ML sound for 2008, what are the negatives and positives of a 2007?

Can anyone attribute to downshift braking causing higher wear on these transmissions? I had a 330 that only lasted 210k before the reverse gear went out.

Last edited by ezbmr; 10-22-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 08:35 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in CA are you? Here's one that you might like.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5830736063.html

The only negative that I know from the 06-08 IS' are the melting dash problem, which has been recalled.
Old 10-22-16, 10:56 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I am in Socal. Not far from the San Diego Line. The car I found is in Los Angeles. There is a 2011 in Indiana for less than that 2009. It has a f-sport badge, but I need to confirm that it is a f-sport. I haven't seen the interior.
Old 10-23-16, 07:20 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezbmr
Part of me just doesn't want to write the check. My old car will be traded before smog is due again. I was all excited by a 2010 IS350, but the person who owned it was so dodgy. They wouldn't give me their # and they wanted to meet in a parking lot. They also wouldn't contact me for hours through email and when they did it was like, "Can you get here in 30mins?" Absolutely sparing no time for me to see the car. They even changed the price from 16k to 14,800, to 16k again. While that went on, I got all excited over a 2014 IS350 for 22,900, which according to Autocheck looked like it had been in a serious accident. When it finally got to the dealergship, they raised the price by 5k. I had found a 2011 back in Feb for an incredible price, but missed out on getting that. I keep thinking that since the 2007 looks mostly like a 2012 and I could put on the lights and new mirrors, perhaps an older one that I can have til depreciation will get me into something I want more, say a 2014 or a 2011 ISF.

Well looking today, I found one. 2007 with less than 100k. I wish it had tinted windows, but it does have the Mark Levinson sound that I wanted. There are still some other cars out there and I ask myself, "do you really want a 10 yo car?"

The 2007 is going for around 10k and it has a clean report from Carfax. The dealer is at least 60 miles away, and I might have to go and see it. There are other cars that I like, but I keep telling myself that the IS350 is the car I really want (at least in the 10-20k range) I would consider a 2009 911 with PDK, but you know.

I know that they improved the ML sound for 2008, what are the negatives and positives of a 2007?

Can anyone attribute to downshift braking causing higher wear on these transmissions? I had a 330 that only lasted 210k before the reverse gear went out.
Beware, there was a recall for IS350 06-11 lately with Camgear rattle dealer will replace for free, some late 2011 model like mine 2011 AWD IS350 don't get affected, make sure you check the VIN with Lexus before purchase, i actually bought the car signed the paper before i noticed the recall but luckily my 2011 is350 is a late model so it doesn't affected, i've checked my VIN with Lexus Canada all cleared ! if you wanna know the car is F sport or not, look at the steering wheel bottom it should has an F or better check the VIN with dealership.
Old 10-23-16, 09:06 AM
ezbmr
Driver

According to Carfax, it has one recall for the Airbag. It has always been maintained by Newport Lexus.
Old 10-23-16, 12:02 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Too much of this relates to my story when I was buying my car. Important thing is if you care about depreciation, clean title cars only because a salvage title will destroy resale value. Also try to get a car of a lesser year because it would have already gone through most of its depreciation. That being said I don't see a problem with buying a 10 year old car. My IS350 is a 2007 and it doesn't at all feel like its 10 years old, 4 at the most to be completely honest with you. If its going around 10k and its a clean car, that's actually a pretty amazing deal but part of me is a but suspicious because where I live it would be near impossible to find ANY IS350 (even with a salvage title and high miles) for 10k or under. As for the transmission downshifting causing a lot of wear, I did too much research before buying my car and I don't think once I read anything about it wearing out your transmission. The worst I've seen is if you drive the car very very hard, the transmission will die at like 170k miles. But its rare and only if you drive the car very hard and if you don't swap the transmission fluid out every once in a while (the other important part with making sure your transmission lasts)

Read this for positives and negatives of model years and things you should look at when buying your car (It helped me a lot):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 10-23-16, 12:26 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Thanks, I found a great deal on an out of state 2012 Audi A6, it is tempting, but from what I hear, they are worse than Bmws in reliability. I found a 2015 Mazda 6 for under 13k, fully equipped, but it went fast. I would like to get something the size of my 5 which is 188" or less. I guess 191" would be okay. I keep delaying driving there. Part of me doesn't want to make a 75 mile drive. Part of me doesn't want to let go of my car. Part of me doesn't want to write the check. Part of me doesn't want to deal with the negotiations. I am tougher when it is someone else's car.

There was a 2011 in Feb that slipped through my fingers. I wanted to see it and I couldn't find the Pink to my car. Then by the time I found it, I got stuck in traffic getting there. I ended up not seeing it and it was sold the next day. Another car that was far from my house. It sucks to be so far from all the good deals.
Old 10-23-16, 03:35 PM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll sel ya mine. Check it out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-06-is350.html
Old 10-23-16, 06:25 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I drove 70 miles to get the car. I called before I left, is the car there. Yes. I was on my way. I call again, is the car there? Yes. I call another time, is the car there? Yes. I get there, the salesman goes to get the keys, no signs of the car. "The car just got sold like 15 mins ago."

Unbelievable.

He knows who i am when I get there. I had told him I was coming. The car is still on their website, but they have raised the price by $200 or so. It doesn't matter, I won't be back.

Part of me wants to just pick up the 330i that I have found. I like the angel eyes, folding mirrors and I believe it has the folding rear seats. I don't know why stuff like this keeps happening. A friend of mine thinks I am not serious about buying a car.

Last edited by ezbmr; 10-23-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 03:31 AM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove 70 miles to get the car. I called before I left, is the car there. Yes. I was on my way. I call again, is the car there? Yes. I call another time, is the car there? Yes. I get there, the salesman goes to get the keys, no signs of the car. "The car just got sold like 15 mins ago."

Unbelievable.

He knows who i am when I get there. I had told him I was coming. The car is still on their website, but they have raised the price by $200 or so. It doesn't matter, I won't be back.

Part of me wants to just pick up the 330i that I have found. I like the angel eyes, folding mirrors and I believe it has the folding rear seats. I don't know why stuff like this keeps happening. A friend of mine thinks I am not serious about buying a car.
"Part of me wants to just pick up the 330i" Don't do it, you'll regret it... you just cant beat Lexus for reliability and the 350 is super reliable ,fast and and strong.
I see tons of BMW's for sale, some newer ones too, it's tempting but the maintenance will kill you, also the newer bmw's don't even have a dipstick..how the hell would you know if your oil is running low?
Wait,...keep searching, you won't regret it, nothing good comes easily.
Lastly the resale value is great on a IS350 compared to a BMW, when you find a good IS350 don't hesitate and write that check!...lol
Old 10-24-16, 10:52 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsport
"Part of me wants to just pick up the 330i" Don't do it, you'll regret it... you just cant beat Lexus for reliability and the 350 is super reliable ,fast and and strong.
I see tons of BMW's for sale, some newer ones too, it's tempting but the maintenance will kill you, also the newer bmw's don't even have a dipstick..how the hell would you know if your oil is running low?
Wait,...keep searching, you won't regret it, nothing good comes easily.
Lastly the resale value is great on a IS350 compared to a BMW, when you find a good IS350 don't hesitate and write that check!...lol
This. My friend had a 330i and no joke it was in the shop more than it was on the road. The IS350s will last forever in comparison and you won't lose a lot of money on it because of parts and depreciation. Any IS will retain its value long term.

I was in your exact scenario man. It took me almost 7 months before I found the right car and I thought so many times to resort to just getting another car and I'm really glad I didn't. Its out there, you'll just have to wait until it shows itself. There is a reason BMWs are common on the used market and IS350s aren't. People keep and drive their IS350s and BMWs go for sale once the leases expire or once they exceed 80k miles. If anything that sort of goes to show how great of a car the IS350 is. Just keep looking and you'll find something eventually - you won't regret it.
Old 10-24-16, 05:36 PM
ezbmr
Driver

I had a 01 330i and I bought it with 155k and it had signs of abuse. I should have never bought it. It was a pretty good car. I sold it at 210k. I found a 06 IS350 equipped the same as the 07, but with more miles. The guy wants almost as much as the 07. This one looks really clean, it is a private party sale. It is about 25 miles from my work. Blue Book says 8500, but he wants 10,500, so he is going to have to come down a good amt. It is SGM, which I like better than black.

Then I found a Salvaged Title 2011 IS350 with 95k miles. It took a good hit to the rear, right above the bumper. Mostly the trunk took a hit. It is all fixed now. It has the F-Sport Package. Not sure about the ML sound. The guy wants 15k, I am thinking 13k, I have found 2011s from 15995 to 17k, sure there are ones that are more. I am not a fan of driving to LA again and not a fan of a Salvaged Title. It would be nice to have a 2011 Fsport though.
Old 10-24-16, 05:56 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 01 330i and I bought it with 155k and it had signs of abuse. I should have never bought it. It was a pretty good car. I sold it at 210k. I found a 06 IS350 equipped the same as the 07, but with more miles. The guy wants almost as much as the 07. This one looks really clean, it is a private party sale. It is about 25 miles from my work. Blue Book says 8500, but he wants 10,500, so he is going to have to come down a good amt. It is SGM, which I like better than black.

Then I found a Salvaged Title 2011 IS350 with 95k miles. It took a good hit to the rear, right above the bumper. Mostly the trunk took a hit. It is all fixed now. It has the F-Sport Package. Not sure about the ML sound. The guy wants 15k, I am thinking 13k, I have found 2011s from 15995 to 17k, sure there are ones that are more. I am not a fan of driving to LA again and not a fan of a Salvaged Title. It would be nice to have a 2011 Fsport though.
Look further to the damage if minor damage then get it, it's a rare one i swear, like before i got mine 2011 IS350 AWD i have found 2010 F-sport but then where i lived now very snowy in the winter so i passed over with an AWD 2011, i had RWD 2009 non-f-sport before too i traded in for AWD. F-sport looks prettier.
Old 10-25-16, 05:50 AM
ezbmr
Driver

These are the pics that the guy provided. The car is fixed now. He wants 15k, I am thinking 13k is about what it is worth with the Salvaged Title. I would be worried of future problems. I have two SGMs , one is a 2006, the other is a 2007 with 125k and 115k. The 06 has the dark interior, the 07 is a Light Interior. They both want the same $$ The 06 would have to drop his price by at least 1k.

Here is the 2011 After

Old 10-29-16, 09:26 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Excited/Nervous. Going to see the 07 350 IS with a few F-Sport Parts on. I hope that it is more than I expect. Part of me wants to get something newer, but Lexus was ahead of their time with most of their features and I don't plan on spending the extra $$ for a 3rd gen. I just found a 2011 Audi S4, which would be tempting. At 16k, it is a thing of lust and fear. I do think about resale, but the plan is to keep it for at least 100k miles.

Quick Reply: New to me Car Adventure