IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got rear ended and am now seeing fluid leakage- any idea what it could be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 08:47 PM
mikes4nt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got rear ended and am now seeing fluid leakage- any idea what it could be?

Hi all-

I got read ended on Sunday

The total cost of repair at the moment is estimated at $1400 from Autowest Collision in San Jose, CA. I've never seen my IS250 leak fluid, but after getting hit, the car leaked a lot... Autowest hasn't been able to find anything yet but they do intend on looking into it further.

Do any of you have any idea what it could be?

I'm attaching some pictures below so you can see what the fluid leakage looked like shortly after being hit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If Autowest doesn't find anything, I'm afraid I'm going to have to bring my car elsewhere for another examination / estimate.

photo taken from the drivers side of the car
Old 09-09-14, 08:57 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

looks clear might be just water from the a/c which is normal... tranny fluid hav color same with other fluids and oil...
Old 09-09-14, 09:24 PM
mikes4nt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response! A couple of people I asked at work were thinking that it might be A/C related, but I've never seen any leakage since I got the car up until right after getting hit. Also, is that much leakage really normal? I drive with my A/C on all the time and park for short periods of time (15 minutes to 45 minutes) a fair amount and have never come back to a stream of fluid. These photos were taken less than half an hour after getting hit. The car was shut off while I was filing the insurance claim and calling over a tow truck.
Old 09-10-14, 12:32 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

+1 on the A/C water, it probably occurred before but you never paid attention to it. Now with the accident, you are examining your car and notice more things. Although from the picture it does seem kind of excessive....

Btw, what kind of rims are those? They look really nice.
Old 09-10-14, 05:47 PM
saturdays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dtl
+1 on the A/C water, it probably occurred before but you never paid attention to it. Now with the accident, you are examining your car and notice more things. Although from the picture it does seem kind of excessive....

Btw, what kind of rims are those? They look really nice.
F-Sport wheels
Old 09-10-14, 07:12 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Perhaps the accident loosened up the A/C drainage pipe and it's all coming out now. LOL!

How long were you sitting there to have that long stream appear?
Old 09-11-14, 08:05 PM
mikes4nt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses everyone. I stopped by the shop yesterday afternoon and the guys over there were super helpful. They lifted my car up, showed me underneath and everything looks OK. Apparently the AC line was frozen, which is why I saw so much leakage. Anyways, I got a guarantee that nothing was wrong down there and that was reassuring considering that they're Lexus certified and I'm still under warranty so I'm feeling a lot better about the entire situation.

Gville350-
I was parked there for about half an hour while I was dealing with the other drivers insurance filing a claim and arranging a tow truck to bring me to AW.

dtl-
Thanks! saturdays is right on the money. They're F-Sport wheels. Every once in a while I think about how cool it would be to get a set of Vossen wheels (like these ones in this video which look pretty cool:
) but I can't justify them just yet... Maybe in a few years. I know I'll probably start thinking about that a whole lot more come Sunday at the Amped event (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...14-2014-a.html). It's a shame that I'll be rolling through in my Ford Taurus rental!