IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2nd Gen LX IS 250 AT 2 MT swap & Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 11:10 PM
BougiEng
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2nd Gen LX IS 250 AT 2 MT swap & Build

Ladies & gentlemen - Join me as I totally rework my '08 IS 250. Can a Lexus IS 250 be restored? Is it worth it? I'm the 2nd owner of a 2008 Lexus IS 250 RWD. The car is in lower fair condition with upwards of 280k miles. All systems, except any named below, are in, or near factory working condition, and meet the standard of a good daily driver. I'm still running this car daily with joy. In fact, it has solidified my respect for Toyota/Lexus engineering, design, manufacturing and quality. I'm strongly considering "restoring" the car to something more powerful and beautiful inside & out. I need all of your help, and let's have some fun along the way. Here's what I want to do.

If the information I'm requesting in this post can be found in elsewhere, please include a link to that info in your reply.

*Replace the automatic transmission with a 6-speed manual - which transmissions will work & what costs should I expect
*install all ancillary part for manual shifting: shifter, pedals, master cylinder, clutch line, and I'd like a bag shifter for the console.
*motor restoration/rebuild giving it a full cleaning, upgraded the intake, motor mounts, electrical connections, of course filters & fluids, and the faulty piston rings.
*Tuning & any other improvements I can make to achieve greater torque & power. - Definitely need the community's help here.
*upgrade coil-overs & wheels (aftermarket is fine, but will maintain stock sizes at 18") & upgrade front & rear rotors and brakes.
*upgrade both front & rear bumpers
*upgrade front headlight assemblies, ballasts, fog lamps and rear lamps.
*upgrade interior parts - steering wheel, replace seats with less bulk options that still allow for electronic adjustments, replace the screen & upgrade the display & stereo & audio, rear view mirror, cabin lights to LED, and the faded console panels/trim.
*Upgrade doors- I'm reaching out to Lexus for any potential solutions. I'm not sure how I'll replace them without their help; likely salvage the parts.

Current Issues that will be repaired
VSC / Traction control light on - Lexus diagnosis says carbon build up is the root cause. Recommends replacing piston rings & a full cleaning.
Tire pressure sensor -
Gummy/sticky/peeling interior doors - It's horrible, and had I known I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle. This started about 8 mos after purchase. Thankfully, the dash is of a different material and has no damage.
paint damage - minor front end paint chips from highway rocks; no rust yet. Swirls and scratches in paint.
recently a small deer hit my rear driver bumper panel - reattached, but clips are broken.
other cosmetic faults inside - steering wheel leather torn, seam tears in driver seat, faded black leather on seats, LED instrument needles are starting to flicker, cabin air filter opener broken and buzzes for 30 sec on defrost, sunroof belt broken (thankfully it's closed but it shouldn't be opened), faded paint on interior console, damage touch display, damaged rear cupholder.

Closing-
I'm really trying to rally all the info & support possible, so if you have a valid point, please chime in. I think it's a great car, and although I could just replace it with a newer model, there's a lot of nostalgia since it's my first car as a young man. I am not looking for this to make a lot of financial sense. Thanks all!

Last edited by BougiEng; 09-06-22 at 11:35 PM. Reason: corrected error in spelling.
Old 09-06-22, 02:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

A bunch of this is just money. Ebay could be your friend here as well as a totalled car bought at auction. As for the engine, do a search and find a 3GR. It bolts in as a direct swap and the 4GR ECU can easily manage the fueling of the added cc's. The question is, what all is different to convert to manual?

Here I suggest you hit eBay and get the driveshaft, mounts, clutch pedal, transmission, and maybe the ECU and wiring harness. Do a "where used" on any lexus site and see what all is different and compare the two cars.

Also grab an IS-F steering ECU and RC-F LCAB. The driving experience will improve dramatically.

GL
The following users liked this post:
BougiEng (09-06-22)