IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 08:39 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash Tuner for 2014 3.5 V6?

In the Ford Mustang aftermarket, there's a flash tuner you can buy for under $400 dollars that will give you 20+ RWHP. With the tuner comes 3 to 10 canned "tunes" that you can upload to your car's ECU via the OBD II port (which will adjust timing, mixture etc., to squeeze more HP/TQ out of the engine). The DIY procedure takes about 15 minutes, and the engine can be reflashed to stock settings at any time. Subaru also has a similar flash tuner as well, although the Cobb Tuning Accessport tuner is considerably more expensive.

Here's my question--is there a similar device for the 3.5 liter 6 in the IS 350? The 2014 350 could definitely use more HP/TQ. The motor's been around for a while (but I'm brand new to Toyota/Lexus), so I'm hopeful there's a hand-held tuner available in the aftermarket.

Thanks

Last edited by UncleSpud; 10-24-13 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:00 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sub'd for info on this as well...great question!
Old 10-24-13, 08:09 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

No such thing, I don't think. In all the years of the 2IS, no one was really able to come out with any flash or remap that was actually successful hence why there really was no real big performance upgrades you could do to the IS... This is the same engine, not sure about the computer but most likely it is going to be about the same thing as the 2IS... plus, the car just came out so there is barely anything out there for it yet anyways.
Old 10-24-13, 08:14 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i doubt that will ever happen. there is no reflash for any toyota ecu powered vehicle. not like the subaru/mitsubishi cars.

even as far back as the mid 90's toyota sports cars, all had standalones for tuneability
Old 10-25-13, 06:50 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Yep good luck trying to find a tune and or one that actually works. You aint going to tune a toyota ecu lol.
Old 10-25-13, 09:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud

Here's my question--is there a similar device for the 3.5 liter 6 in the IS 350? The 2014 350 could definitely use more HP/TQ. The motor's been around for a while (but I'm brand new to Toyota/Lexus), so I'm hopeful there's a hand-held tuner available in the aftermarket.

Thanks
Yeah unfortunately unlike the American and German car computers, Toyota/Lexus ECM's are encrypted and programmed for a balance of efficiency and longevity. No one is able to decode it unless you're under the direction of an in-house Toyota tuner like TMG, TRD/Technocraft and etc. Sadly there is no "chip" or "reflash" mods for any Toyota/Lexus/Scion to date.
Old 10-26-13, 02:15 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah unfortunately unlike the American and German car computers, Toyota/Lexus ECM's are encrypted and programmed for a balance of efficiency and longevity. No one is able to decode it unless you're under the direction of an in-house Toyota tuner like TMG, TRD/Technocraft and etc. Sadly there is no "chip" or "reflash" mods for any Toyota/Lexus/Scion to date.
While I understand Toyota's rationale, that's too bad, b/c the 2014 IS 350 suspension could easily handle more grunt.

Backup question: intakes? Do they make a difference on this car (in terms of power)?
Old 10-27-13, 08:48 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Subscribed
Old 10-31-13, 01:23 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im on the 4gs forum and I want a ecu so bad its not even funny. every car I owned the best mod was a ecu. Its kinda sad that my k20 swap honda has a higher top speed then my gs
Old 11-06-13, 08:07 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually there is a chip for the scion frs/brz
Old 11-30-13, 02:36 PM
w00ht
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSTONY
Actually there is a chip for the scion frs/brz
Probably because Subaru developed the power plant.

That being said, has anyone done anything with the Tom's T.E.C. II ECU?

Last edited by w00ht; 11-30-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 10:21 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...12cbf7356ff669

The T.E.C.II system progresses simultaneously as Toyota continues to advance their vehicle computer technology. The T.E.C.II is capable of the fully processing the entire controls for an Toyota manufactured engine. Toyota computers processes a tremendous amount of data in at lightning fast speeds to keep the vehicle running at an optimal condition. At the slightest variation in the environmental conditions, the computer precisely changes the data to adopt to the change. Although it was very difficult, TOM'S is the only entity that has succeeded in controlling this system. The long generations of being involved in various motorsports as the technical leaders of a Toyota racing parts manufacturer has led to this superior knowledge. The T.E.C.II has been tested based on many hours of data logging in our in-house engine dynamometer bench, to input the most ideal data setting for each application. Not everything was based on pure numbers, also the physical factor of the sensation of the engine character was taken into account. This is the reason why this product is referred to as the TOM'S Intelligence Computer. Engineering high quality engine parts is important, however if there is no means to precisely control these components via computer, the highest possible performance cannot be achieved.

My only questions are price, will it work on American Lexus, and when did this break through happen?
Old 05-05-14, 06:12 AM
simann
Pole Position

Tom's does not list the new IS on that spec sheet. Probably will be a few years before it comes available.
Old 05-05-14, 12:03 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

i remember there was a member in the past few years "hks" something was his user, was talking about a hks module that was compatible for tuning wonder what ever happened to that
Old 05-05-14, 12:35 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

if you had the ability to reflash your toyota ECM, you'd be one very rich man/woman

Quick Reply: Possible ECU Remapping for IS250/350?