IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 08:23 PM
Usood89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?

Is it okay in your opinion to buy a 2006 is250 awd with 117,000mi on the odometer? I'm getting a deal for about $9500-10k. The pics look beautiful.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-18-14, 09:25 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would need more info before anything can comment, e.g. has carbon recall been done, accidents, etc. Take a look around the forums for a few hours and you'll learn what to look out for when purchasing used.
Old 08-18-14, 11:00 PM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that car is worth between $11k to $12k.
check to see if it has clear title and not salvage title.
run car fax...or take vin number to Lexus dealership and they can tell u more about it...service records...
test drive it...

if u still worried and not sure...take car to Lexus and get it inspected...they charge around $200 but well worth it...any problems they find, u can tell seller to fix it or deduct price...

good luck
Old 08-19-14, 03:53 AM
Usood89
Driver School Candidate

here is the car in question guys

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4609738569.html

i was thinking of offering 10k or even 9500
Old 08-19-14, 06:21 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

look clean, what's that black thing on trunk?
Old 08-19-14, 07:16 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too me a car with that many miles shouldn't be bought.
Old 08-19-14, 07:55 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Check to see if the carbon issue has been resolved. If so, how long ago and which lexus shop performed it? If it looks good, go test drive it. After the test drive and everything is good and ok with you, you have yourself a nice lexus.
Old 08-19-14, 08:33 AM
robtwo
Rookie

A follow up to my prior post.

I would strongly consider getting a compression and leak down test done. Plus send the oil off to black stone labs. While the carbon issue might have been addressed with some service you don't really know the state of the car.

Comp/leak down test, about $130 and will tell you the condition of rings/valves. Sending the oil off will tell you the issues bearing related.

My major concern with higher mileage cars with automatics is the condition of the tranny. Most autos begin to slip between 150-250k. Just know you're buying a car that will be entering that period shortly. Yes, the tranny fluid is 'life time' but the tranny itself still wears.

If you only have $10k to spend on a car it might be better to buy something less luxury, newer with lower miles. This is a 9 year old car we're talking about.
Old 08-19-14, 01:50 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robtwo
A follow up to my prior post.

I would strongly consider getting a compression and leak down test done. Plus send the oil off to black stone labs. While the carbon issue might have been addressed with some service you don't really know the state of the car.

Comp/leak down test, about $130 and will tell you the condition of rings/valves. Sending the oil off will tell you the issues bearing related.

My major concern with higher mileage cars with automatics is the condition of the tranny. Most autos begin to slip between 150-250k. Just know you're buying a car that will be entering that period shortly. Yes, the tranny fluid is 'life time' but the tranny itself still wears.

If you only have $10k to spend on a car it might be better to buy something less luxury, newer with lower miles. This is a 9 year old car we're talking about.
I doubt the previous owner would want to go thorugh all of that for the purchase. I would either ask for the VIN for a car fax as well as cross reference it with the MY.Lexus site to see any service history. I have an 06 with about 10k less on the odo and it runs strong but I also keep up with my service history.

Also Blackstone doesnt test for carbon in oil. They usually test primarily for metal in oil which usually is a factor for specific parts going bad.

If it was me, that is a GOOD deal for an 06 with Nav BUT I would go over the car with a second pair of eyes of someone who knows cars that can hear for pinging in the engine, hard shifts as well as check for leaks. IF it all checks out, I would go for it!
Old 08-19-14, 04:12 PM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I doubt the previous owner would want to go thorugh all of that for the purchase. I would either ask for the VIN for a car fax as well as cross reference it with the MY.Lexus site to see any service history. I have an 06 with about 10k less on the odo and it runs strong but I also keep up with my service history.

Also Blackstone doesnt test for carbon in oil. They usually test primarily for metal in oil which usually is a factor for specific parts going bad.

If it was me, that is a GOOD deal for an 06 with Nav BUT I would go over the car with a second pair of eyes of someone who knows cars that can hear for pinging in the engine, hard shifts as well as check for leaks. IF it all checks out, I would go for it!
I'm at a loss here. Are you debating the value or discounting it? I mean sure, some owners might have a problem with the process, but most reasonable people won't. $10k to buy a problem might be worth the trouble.

FYI the oil test was to determine health of bearings NOT carbon build up. You can overnight the sample and they'll get you the results in 24 hours.That's where the compression test and leak down come in. Telling you the health of the rings and valves. Both of these can be done within a few days of giving a deposit conditional on a healthy car. Where buyers get uncomfortable is if YOU want them to pay for the service.

As for carfax, that's pretty much a junk service. I've owned two cars in the last few years that were repaired through my insurance company. Neither showed up on the car fax 12 and 18 months later.

I wish the advice given here was factual in protecting the OP. Basically what you're telling him is 'don't bother most buyers won't want to work with you, so roll the dice on a 9 year old car costing 10k' I doubt the OP has the funds to fix a problem he might buy since he's looking at such a car. He's out of warranty on the carbon build up and high mileage.

Last edited by robtwo; 08-19-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-19-14, 04:50 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Usood89
Is it okay in your opinion to buy a 2006 is250 awd with 117,000mi on the odometer? I'm getting a deal for about $9500-10k. The pics look beautiful.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
i would make sure the big maintence things were taken care of first and foremost before going and spending money. i wouldnt just take it on faith. do the necessary research and go from there with your decision making

Originally Posted by robtwo
I'm at a loss here. Are you debating the value or discounting it? I mean sure, some owners might have a problem with the process, but most reasonable people won't. $10k to buy a problem might be worth the trouble.

FYI the oil test was to determine health of bearings NOT carbon build up. You can overnight the sample and they'll get you the results in 24 hours.That's where the compression test and leak down come in. Telling you the health of the rings and valves. Both of these can be done within a few days of giving a deposit conditional on a healthy car. Where buyers get uncomfortable is if YOU want them to pay for the service.

As for carfax, that's pretty much a junk service. I've owned two cars in the last few years that were repaired through my insurance company. Neither showed up on the car fax 12 and 18 months later.

I wish the advice given here was factual in protecting the OP. Basically what you're telling him is 'don't bother most buyers won't want to work with you, so roll the dice on a 9 year old car costing 10k' I doubt the OP has the funds to fix a problem he might buy since he's looking at such a car. He's out of warranty on the carbon build up and high mileage.
117k isnt really anything in all honesty. especially on these cars. hell i bought my is350 with about 140k on the clock and didnt look back. price was just right for the amount of miles on a 2007. but all the major maintenance was done on the car prior to me owning it like i told the OP.

honestly im sure a AWD IS250 wasnt beat or raced at all so honestly the oil analysis and everything else is overkill really. is it bad to get that maintenance done on a car, no. but as a seller i wouldnt do all that either. but i would have facts and proof of maintenance done or what the car might potentially need. ive rarely seen these cars have auto trans problems so thats a far shot. for 10k, thats hard deal to turn down regardless unless the car has a salvage title then i would steer clear
Old 08-19-14, 06:44 PM
Usood89
Driver School Candidate

thank you guys for all the information, highly appreciated. Here is an update...i car faxed the car...and my god, it is IMMACULATE! After a long phone call with the seller, a very nice and honest sounding guy, he emailed me this:

Hey, it's much easier for me to write to you on an email. I'm the 2nd owner - got the car in 2009. I personally wanted a Lexus IS250 - they are very sporty and being 29 years old - I wanted something sexy to drive. The first owner was a kid - that the company bought him for work. He pampered that thing and sold it to me in 2009. I pampered the thing like crazy and when you see the car - you'll see it. The car always got 93 Gas and Synthetic Oil Changes. From the previous owner to me. Car has 117,000 miles on it and if you bring the car to any dealership or lexus dealer ship, they say these cars can last over 200k - 300k miles as long as they are maintained. Obviously this is a lexus and not a hyndai. I personally love this car - but my company leased me a Nissan rogue for work cause I travel from maine down to Washington dc for work and I needed trunk space. so that is why i'm selling it.

The car is really in good condition and I have nothing to hide should your mechanic want to look at anything. I want this car to go to a good buyer that will take care of the car the way I took care of it. If I was you - I would go to a lexus dealership maybe the one in Amityville or Massapequa and ask them what kind of lifetime mileage they think these cars can go for. I even took out an extended warranty when I first got the car and didn't even use it once cause it ran perfectly.

If your a serious buyer - then I want you to look at the car. you will like it!"

After Car Faxing the car..his story not only holds up, but looks as good as it can get for a well maintained car. Here are some pictures of the car fax:

Look at the attached images please friends
Attached Thumbnails Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?-1.jpg   Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?-2.jpg   Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?-3.jpg  
Old 08-19-14, 11:02 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So earlier today I emailed the add to get the VIN and search the lexus history for you. They responded back and results are interesting compared to what you have. Seems like his story checks out with what you have. But the Lexus site that we all swear by came back with "There is currently no service history available for your 2006 is250". The last five of the VIN are

At the end of the day you gotta be happy with it. Mileage is nothing IMO as long as it's been serviced and recalls performed. But I'm really curious as to why I got no results when carfax show Lexus dealer work.
Old 08-20-14, 02:40 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

117K isn't really high mileage... If you do buy it, have the differential fluid, transmission fluid, belt, spark plugs, thermostat, hoses and coolant changed. Just assume that those services have never been done. Other than that, it's really down to the luck of the draw on how long parts will last. I had a Camry that lasted 238K miles before its first part failed... which was the starter. Toyota/Lexus uses fairly high quality parts.
Old 08-20-14, 09:37 AM
Usood89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
So earlier today I emailed the add to get the VIN and search the lexus history for you. They responded back and results are interesting compared to what you have. Seems like his story checks out with what you have. But the Lexus site that we all swear by came back with "There is currently no service history available for your 2006 is250". The last five of the VIN are

At the end of the day you gotta be happy with it. Mileage is nothing IMO as long as it's been serviced and recalls performed. But I'm really curious as to why I got no results when carfax show Lexus dealer work.
Very interesting. That makes me a little more cautious.

Here is the other car I am considering seriously :

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4622826942.html

JTHCK262672019502

Quick Reply: Ok to buy 2006 IS250 awd 117k mi?