Thinking of Lowering my IS 250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 03:16 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Lowering my IS 250 AWD

With H & R 1.4"f 1.3"r

I read that some people had problems with vibrations and wobbles. Question is, was yours done professionally, did you balance the wheels and all that... I work at a car dealer and am wondering if this is worth doing if there is a vibration.. Not sure it sounds like its when the car is stopped and some people have a wobble when in motion.. Any feedback would be great thanks. Oh, and if someone has a pic of an AWD model with the 1.4/1.3 drop done would be awesome! We get lots of snow here in South Dakota, so I dont wanna drop this thing to the ground.. Need to be able to get around in the winter, but hate them wheel gaps.
Old 06-19-14, 09:02 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taint3d
With H & R 1.4"f 1.3"r

I read that some people had problems with vibrations and wobbles. Question is, was yours done professionally, did you balance the wheels and all that... I work at a car dealer and am wondering if this is worth doing if there is a vibration.. Not sure it sounds like its when the car is stopped and some people have a wobble when in motion.. Any feedback would be great thanks. Oh, and if someone has a pic of an AWD model with the 1.4/1.3 drop done would be awesome! We get lots of snow here in South Dakota, so I dont wanna drop this thing to the ground.. Need to be able to get around in the winter, but hate them wheel gaps.
One member had no issues after installing H&R springs with F-Sport shocks (good before and after pics with a picture long after the installation). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-250-awd.html

It seems that it is a crap-shoot when it comes to lowering any AWD; it doesn't even matter whether or not it was installed professionally or DIY, or whether or not the car was aligned right after with the wheels balanced. I've read members that had the vibrations as mild of a drop as F-Sport springs to even at stock springs.

Best thing to do when lowering a 2IS AWD is to search up the setup and see what other members' impressions and feedback when they installed it. And if you were to have a shop install the new suspension parts, be sure that the parts are installed with care/caution.

I'm planning on lowering it with F-Sport Springs and Shocks or BC Racing coilovers with Swift Spring upgrade. . . Whenever I get around to getting the parts. . .
Old 06-19-14, 09:52 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I'm in the same boat. I want to drop my car a bit but the dropped vehicles with no problems are few and far between. I even asked my service advisor about it and he strongly recommended against it, even if I chose F-Sprt shocks and springs. Now I want a new car. :-(
Old 06-20-14, 02:44 AM
fancyjuice
Driver School Candidate

I just lowered my '08 on BC Racing coils and do experience quite a bit vibration when stopped while in gear/reverse and some wobbling during heavy acceleration. All and all, it isn't that bad and hasn't had an affect on the car's general performance. I was looking to go about as low as you're talking about and ended up here:

Other than all the speed bumps I deal with on a daily basis, I'm happy with the height. I couldn't stand that wheel gap.
Old 06-20-14, 04:45 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fancyjuice
I just lowered my '08 on BC Racing coils and do experience quite a bit vibration when stopped while in gear/reverse and some wobbling during heavy acceleration. All and all, it isn't that bad and hasn't had an affect on the car's general performance. I was looking to go about as low as you're talking about and ended up here:

Other than all the speed bumps I deal with on a daily basis, I'm happy with the height. I couldn't stand that wheel gap.
That looks perfect IMO .. I've heard of members not even wanting to drive their car again after lowering it because of the wobble and vibrations!
Old 06-20-14, 05:00 AM
minato
Pole Position

Im lowered on coils also no issues here, will post up pics later today
Old 06-20-14, 05:47 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
It seems that it is a crap-shoot when it comes to lowering any AWD.
Actually when I bought my IS and joined CL was the first time I ever heard of an AWD vehicle having problems with being lowered. I've had 7 Subarus all of which have been lowered with no problems and 2 of those were practically slammed to the ground. I have countless friends with lowered Suabrus, a couple of friends with slammed BMWs and one friend with an Audi on air (drive height is low).

I don't understand why Lexus's AWD system is such a tempermental woman
Old 06-20-14, 09:37 AM
minato
Pole Position

here's mine
I can go lower to close up all the gaps but 2 chicken

no problems with awd for me though , im getting to my 2nd year on same set of coils

I wouldnt slam it though, that would be just asking for trouble, but I know coils better than springs(well in my books) , I actually got H&R's first , didnt last a month
Old 06-20-14, 11:56 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SubieChik
Actually when I bought my IS and joined CL was the first time I ever heard of an AWD vehicle having problems with being lowered. I've had 7 Subarus all of which have been lowered with no problems and 2 of those were practically slammed to the ground. I have countless friends with lowered Suabrus, a couple of friends with slammed BMWs and one friend with an Audi on air (drive height is low).

I don't understand why Lexus's AWD system is such a tempermental woman
Whoops, I meant only the Lexus AWD; I definitely should of clarified that. I've read and talked to Subaru owners that don't have any issues lowering.

There is no definitive answer as to why the Lexus AWD exerts the behavior it does and why it has such a hit-or-miss amongst members here. A few assumptions is due to the suspension geometry when you lower it or the angle of the CV axle when the car is lowered. Those are the common answers that somewhat explain why the AWD Lexus wobbles and vibrates during acceleration or at a stop respectively. Those nuances pretty much go away when you go back to stock height.
Old 06-20-14, 12:10 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That is very weird
Old 06-20-14, 12:30 PM
minato
Pole Position

yup cuz once you lower than 24inches to ground . wobbles and vibrations all comes into play
the sweet spot i read was 24.5 -25

to op , I would take coilovers over springs anyday.
It all depends on what you want to achieve though
Old 06-20-14, 01:03 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by minato
yup cuz once you lower than 24inches to ground . wobbles and vibrations all comes into play
the sweet spot i read was 24.5 -25

to op , I would take coilovers over springs anyday.
It all depends on what you want to achieve though
I want to make this beauty ride alittle lower, I want reliability, stability and still have a good ride. I dont wanna feel every bump in the road.. In SD our roads are such crap. there is a pothole every 10 feet all the cement roads are uneven because of how hot it gets int he summer and cold in the winter.. Blacktop just cracks separates and shifts. So Ya, not so much a super stiff ride.

As a matter of fact my car is the sport model and at stock height it feels alittle bouncy.