IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 is250 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 05:17 PM
GGR4Y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 is250 problems

Hello guys i bought e46m3lol lexus is 250 a couple months back, took it in today for a oil change at carlsbad lexus here in cali. Well i was expecting a easy in and out but the service manager said the techs noted

"inspection completed including setting tire pressure to the manufacture'rs specs. Tech noted that the vehicle is lowered and there is damage to the oil sub pan and its leaking oil."

Here is what they qouted me in the pic:

Last edited by GGR4Y; 06-18-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 06:09 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL at the big difference between parts and labor.

I would take a second look from someone. Hopefully someone local can chime in and refer you to someone.

Are you losing oil?? See any leaks on the driveway?
Old 06-14-14, 06:21 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

there are 2 halves to these oil pans. a lower and upper. upper is the one that's attached to the engine block. looks like they will remove the front subframe and take many many many coffee breaks hence the labor cost.
Old 06-14-14, 06:31 PM
GGR4Y
Driver School Candidate

do you think its safe to drive till monday till i take it into a few shops
Old 06-14-14, 07:13 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just top off oil and keep an eye on it while you drive around.
Old 06-14-14, 10:51 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing the oil pan can get very costly if the subframe is in the way and I think it is on the IS cars. I remember him mentioning having issues when he tapped into it to do something with his twin turbo kit but you would have to scout his threads for exactly what it was.

I had an issue like this before (on an older slammed car) and what I had a local shop do was drain the oil, clean that pan and them have them weld the crack/leak. EASY PEASY! I assume its on the bottom since the car was lowered. If its leaking by the gasket then there is no way around NOT getting the pan changed. You can definitely find cheaper but still gonna be costly. I would purchase the parts from the dealership and then take it to local shops and get some quotes and pick the cheapest.
Old 06-15-14, 08:23 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Get the car up in the air and check out the pan for yourself! If the pan is actually cracked, then obviously it will have to be replaced. But it could be as simple as a leak from the seal from around the pan.

GL!
Old 06-15-14, 02:37 PM
GGR4Y
Driver School Candidate

if the leak is from the seal around the pan what would i need to do?

IF it was leaking wouldn't there be oil on the ground? and i checked my oil last night and check today and there has been no oil loss
Old 06-15-14, 04:24 PM
Gville350

Well, first thing first; clean the areas under/around the pan the best as possible. Then perhaps consider removing the under tray to monitor any oil loss via drop pan under it. Sidenote, you're more likely to lose oil from the pan when the vehicle is off. If not any major leaks dripping under the car, but oil around the sides of the motor/pan; get yourself some UV due stuff for use in the oil system, so that you can spot where the oil leakage is coming from under blacklight.

GL!
Old 06-15-14, 05:20 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

3k in labor? my goodness. My advise is to jack up the car and see for yourself, if not go to an local shop and have them check it out for you.
Old 06-17-14, 03:38 PM
Litcroco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this issue serious? Is it ok to leave it be if I make sure the engine oil level are ok. Will this issue cause any damage in the future if I keep leaking?
Old 06-17-14, 04:01 PM
steco
Driver School Candidate

you should definitely take your car to a local shop for them to take a look whether the car is having this issue or not. if it does, i bet the labor would be way cheaper compare to the dealer, so it's a win-win situation.
Old 06-17-14, 08:26 PM
Gville350

By the way, the oil pan is steel; if needed, you could get someone to weld it to fix a crack (if one exists).
Old 06-18-14, 07:52 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ what he said...

I just saw your FS thread of the car. It sucks to see you sell the car after you just bought it. I would hate to see a car with a bad reputation passed around. If you were in NY, I would just say bring the car over to my shop and I would get you patched up right away. I've dealt with leaking oil pans and there is many cheap and effective ways to deal with one with out the $4k bill the dealership handed you. I've even used JB Weld on an old slammed car and it held great for 2 years after the leak was spotted (that was when i was 17 on my driveway mechanic *****). On my motorcycle that had a cracked pan, I had a machine shop fill the crack with aluminum, and there are many places you can get that leak welded shut and the car is as good as new.

Just don't sell it if thats the ONLY issue.
Old 06-18-14, 08:43 PM
GGR4Y
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
^^ what he said...

I just saw your FS thread of the car. It sucks to see you sell the car after you just bought it. I would hate to see a car with a bad reputation passed around. If you were in NY, I would just say bring the car over to my shop and I would get you patched up right away. I've dealt with leaking oil pans and there is many cheap and effective ways to deal with one with out the $4k bill the dealership handed you. I've even used JB Weld on an old slammed car and it held great for 2 years after the leak was spotted (that was when i was 17 on my driveway mechanic *****). On my motorcycle that had a cracked pan, I had a machine shop fill the crack with aluminum, and there are many places you can get that leak welded shut and the car is as good as new.

Just don't sell it if thats the ONLY issue.

Took it to north county auto repairs up here by camp pendleton , the dude fixed it for 700 bucks, repalced the oil pan completely. I just want a truck, have paper work showing its fixed

Quick Reply: 2007 is250 problems