From e46 M3 to Lexus Is350 Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 07:51 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default From e46 M3 to Lexus Is350 Discuss

Hey guys,

I have owned an e46 M3, 6MT drop top for about 6 years now and I think it might be time for a change. I'm looking at the Lexus IS 350. I want to know who has made this exact switch before?

I absolutely have loved the M3 but it's getting pretty old and starting to rack up exorbitant repair bills. It's an 01' with 138k miles.

So from anyone who has made this switch what does the IS offer that the M3 doesn't? What do you miss about the M3? Is it a tough transition? Any regrets?

My thoughts are that the Lexus is most likely more comfortable and more reliable with nearly identical straight line performance but severely lacking around the twisties.

I of course test drove one but it's hard to get an idea from a brief drive around boring roads near the dealer.
Old 06-01-14, 07:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Welcome Craig,

Invite you to use the forum search to get instant answers, no waiting! Some examples below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...?highlight=e46

some relevant, but is250

There is a good buyers guide thread in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum as well.
Old 06-01-14, 08:53 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an 02 M3 when I traded in. It s difference between these two car. The M3 more sporty and handle well from factory. But I wanted a four do so I went with the IS. So far it reliable I've yet to have any major issue. If you want a nice car to drive it great. If your looking to modify it there not much performance aspect compared to the M3. I do miss the six speed of the M3 and the amber dash light.
Old 06-01-14, 08:57 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi craig. I used to own an 2002 m3 smg. I can tell you the m3 sure felt faster. I sold it at 178k miles....yes.....thats true and expensive inspection III maintenance performed too. I bought an is350 due to it being reliable and being the better performance of the is250. I did regret selling my m3 as the is350 could not turn and handle as well. But I decided to upgrade my tires to michelin pss and that was a BIG difference. It suddenly starting handling very like my old m3 and i did not regret getting an is350.
Old 06-01-14, 09:08 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by idoke1
Hi craig. I used to own an 2002 m3 smg. I can tell you the m3 sure felt faster. I sold it at 178k miles....yes.....thats true and expensive inspection III maintenance performed too. I bought an is350 due to it being reliable and being the better performance of the is250. I did regret selling my m3 as the is350 could not turn and handle as well. But I decided to upgrade my tires to michelin pss and that was a BIG difference. It suddenly starting handling very like my old m3 and i did not regret getting an is350.
Really? Tires made that big of a difference? I heard that sway bars front and back can help get rid of body roll without a sacrifice in comfort as well. Did you get those or any other stuff.

I will be extremely sad to sell my M3 but I have had to replace the water pump, suspension, bushings, thermostat, seals, gaskets, rear differential, tires, tires more tires lol etc.. I'm not talking about regular inspections. I feel like ive been replacing the whole car piece by piece.

Last edited by CraigMak; 06-01-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 09:51 PM
idoke1
Instructor

^^ yes, it made a HUGE difference in handling and traction. It felt like I already had the f sport rear sway bar. My mod list is on my signature. Did your rear subframe crack? Mines started cracking and during that time, I loved my m3 so much and decided to do everything needed to get it running back to tip top shape. Inspection III will cost an arm or leg! I was so much in credit card debt after that. Had to sell the M to pay some back on my card.

Last edited by idoke1; 06-01-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 10:31 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^ yes, it made a HUGE difference in handling and traction. It felt like I already had the f sport rear sway bar. My mod list is on my signature. Did your rear subframe crack? Mines started cracking and during that time, I loved my m3 so much and decided to do everything needed to get it running back to tip top shape. Inspection III will cost an arm or leg! I was so much in credit card debt after that. Had to sell the M to pay some back on my card.
Well, it's good to hear that it's easy to add handling to the IS. I never had any sub-frame issues because I have a convertible. The rear sub-frame was reinforced on convertibles from the factory since there was a lack of support on the top.

I don't mind standard maintenance because I go to an indy shop. But now even non-dealer prices are getting out of hand. If I wanted to get my M3 tip top it would probably take about $7k to get everything perfect again.
Old 06-02-14, 08:06 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As people stated power wise an E46 M3 and IS350 are very similar with a slight favor to the M3. Sadly you get what you get in the power department with the IS350. Nothing you can really do without spending big bucks to add HP. Intake and exhaust are pretty much cosmetic on our cars. The good thing is that the IS350 has very good torque across the entire power range where the M3 you have to string it out to really benefit for the extra hp. Around town the lexus will actually feel more powerful as you don't have to redline it to get a good push. Aggressive driving is a different story and where the M3 shines.

Where the IS lags big time compared to the M3 is handling obviously but there are a few simple things that you can do to significantly bridge the gap. Here are probably the best bang for your buck mods to get you close to M3 handling. The one main thing that the IS can't compete on is the amazing chassis of the BMW.

Sway bars: Rear make a huge difference and really helps body roll. Front is up for debate. Rear is a very cheap upgrade (~200) and will make an immediate difference.

Coil Overs: A good set of coil overs will make a big difference. You can increase the spring rate a bit to firm up the ride and improve the handeling. Plus the adjustable dampening makes it nice to have a great ride around town while having the option to firm up the ride when you want to get a bit more aggressive. To compete with a M3 I would recommend BC with 12/10K spring rates or even better K3 which are amazing.

Tires: Obvious here. A good set of performance orientated tires will transform the car compared to a crappy set of tires.

Lightweight wheels: The OEM wheels are lead bricks at 29lbs. Find a lightweight set of wheels and the car will transition so much quicker and will be way more playful to drive. Look into the Enkei racing series wheels or the konig milligram or kilogram for an inexpensive quality wheel that will shave 10+lbs per wheel in an 18" size. If you look you can find a set in the 1000-1200 range.

I have done all these mods and the car is so much more fun to drive now. It is a completely different car. I have also done 13 track days (`~1200 track miles) and have not had one major issue at all in the car. I bought my 350 new in Dec 2007 and the only thing I have had go wrong on my car is a fuse going out. Find a M3 owner that can say the same.
Old 06-02-14, 08:10 AM
idoke1
Instructor

^^thats true. Good luck with your decision.....if you can, try to keep both. M3 convertible on weekends and IS for weekdays.
Old 06-02-14, 09:06 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
Really? Tires made that big of a difference? I heard that sway bars front and back can help get rid of body roll without a sacrifice in comfort as well. Did you get those or any other stuff.
Tires ALWAYS make the biggest difference in handling.

Adding to Sportskid1s list, a non F sport 2IS has horrible steering feel compared to an M3, which will probably make pushing the car anywhere near the handling limit extremely frustrating. Replace the steering ECU with one from an IS F and it improves dramatically.
Old 06-02-14, 09:59 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you nail on so many excellent points! I very much agree with a lot of what you said.
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Lightweight inexpensive wheels: Enkei, TSW...

I have the TSW Nurburgring which is almost 9 pounds lighter than the stock wheel each (total saving of about 36 pounds of unsprung mass). The steering feels lighter with more precision and acceleration and braking is so much more smoother. The car seems like being a on a big diet with the lightweight wheels.

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
As people stated power wise an E46 M3 and IS350 are very similar with a slight favor to the M3. Sadly you get what you get in the power department with the IS350. Nothing you can really do without spending big bucks to add HP. Intake and exhaust are pretty much cosmetic on our cars. The good thing is that the IS350 has very good torque across the entire power range where the M3 you have to string it out to really benefit for the extra hp. Around town the lexus will actually feel more powerful as you don't have to redline it to get a good push. Aggressive driving is a different story and where the M3 shines.

Where the IS lags big time compared to the M3 is handling obviously but there are a few simple things that you can do to significantly bridge the gap. Here are probably the best bang for your buck mods to get you close to M3 handling. The one main thing that the IS can't compete on is the amazing chassis of the BMW.

Sway bars: Rear make a huge difference and really helps body roll. Front is up for debate. Rear is a very cheap upgrade (~200) and will make an immediate difference.

Coil Overs: A good set of coil overs will make a big difference. You can increase the spring rate a bit to firm up the ride and improve the handeling. Plus the adjustable dampening makes it nice to have a great ride around town while having the option to firm up the ride when you want to get a bit more aggressive. To compete with a M3 I would recommend BC with 12/10K spring rates or even better K3 which are amazing.

Tires: Obvious here. A good set of performance orientated tires will transform the car compared to a crappy set of tires.

Lightweight wheels: The OEM wheels are lead bricks at 29lbs. Find a lightweight set of wheels and the car will transition so much quicker and will be way more playful to drive. Look into the Enkei racing series wheels or the konig milligram or kilogram for an inexpensive quality wheel that will shave 10+lbs per wheel in an 18" size. If you look you can find a set in the 1000-1200 range.

I have done all these mods and the car is so much more fun to drive now. It is a completely different car. I have also done 13 track days (`~1200 track miles) and have not had one major issue at all in the car. I bought my 350 new in Dec 2007 and the only thing I have had go wrong on my car is a fuse going out. Find a M3 owner that can say the same.
Old 06-02-14, 10:02 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, tires... g force, g force is everything in fast cornering. Sticky tires with higher g force capacity can create a lot more traction and the car can corner much faster before running out the g force limit and spin.

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Tires ALWAYS make the biggest difference in handling.

Adding to Sportskid1s list, a non F sport 2IS has horrible steering feel compared to an M3, which will probably make pushing the car anywhere near the handling limit extremely frustrating. Replace the steering ECU with one from an IS F and it improves dramatically.
Old 06-02-14, 10:06 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

M3 is like a power handling monster and I don't think IS350 can handle on par with the M3 stock to stock. Many suspension upgrades can get the IS350 closer to M3 handling capacity but probably not completely. However, you will enjoy the IS350 with more comfort and less burden on repair bills. It will last a long time too. Welcome to clublexus.

M3 is also one of my most favorite cars and I will probably get one in the future. I see a them in autocross and damn they are fast!!!
Old 06-02-14, 10:20 AM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from a 2004 M3 convertible 6MT that I bought new and kept for 6 years. Like you, the repair bills were mounting. That said, the car was a serious blast to drive and I loved it and will always have a special place in my heart for that car.

I now have a 2014 IS350C. Great car and while the engine may be in the same league (hp wise) as the e46 M3, the transmission on the Lexus just robs you of a lot of the fun factor that the M3 delivers. Forget the paddle shifting on the Lexus. It's a joke.

That said, the car is still fun.. And quiet. And comfortable. And more luxurious. And hopefully cheaper to keep in the road, long term.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-14, 10:30 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good point TomDac. The transmission does suck.

Quick Reply: From e46 M3 to Lexus Is350 Discuss