Audio System upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 07:46 AM
marks0008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio System upgrade

Now before I get a crucified for there being a similar post let me explain,

I searched and read the posts that sounded similar to what I have questions about, and couldn't find one that answered my question.

Now with that out of the way I will ask my question.

Can someone recommend me the best to achieve more volume out of the audio system (non ML) I do not require any more bass, I just would like more volume at a lower setting, currently I need to have the volume at around 30+ to make it enjoyable.

any help would be awesome as I am a newb when it comes to car audio but have a good deal of knowledge in the home audio hi-fi dept.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-14, 10:42 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

30? That's quiet....mine is usually at 40
Old 05-19-14, 11:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are happy with the stock system and just want more volume, you simply turns the **** on more. ~40+ is pretty loud to me. I actually measure with the sound reading device and at 45 or so, i saw reading around 80-95 decibels averaging 88 decibels. This is considered as loud as someone screaming. Don't prolong listening to music at this levels for so many hours because that will lead to some sound loss. Initial symtoms include ringing in the ears so that is a warning sign.

Also, the song quality does affect the sound volume. Some mp3s are louder than others so just adjust it accordingly.

Types of the song also affect volume. Hiphop songs tend to be louder in general than other types.
Old 05-19-14, 11:59 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Beside, our stock system is pretty good Pioneer system and I would consider it on the mid-end level in the aftermarket world so I would highly advice you keeping it. This is a full review of our stock sound system https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-overview.html.

Even though our stock system is decent, at high volume the bass is still lacking. Therefore, I would suggest adding quality JL Audio amp and sub. I have this and happy for years.
Old 05-19-14, 12:07 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Also, the song quality does affect the sound volume. Some mp3s are louder than others so just adjust it accordingly.
I noticed this has the biggest effect. Crappy recordings of songs that aren't out yet = need to turn it all the way up and still have poor playback. Good quality = can hear everything and don't need to turn to deafening levels.
Old 05-19-14, 12:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, exactly. And if someone plays a song that is 32 or 64 kb quality, no matter what system you have, the sound quality will be crappy. A general rule of thumb is 128kb or higher, preferably 192kb or 256 kb. Even with the high kb mp3, crappy recording still leads to crappy sound. Junk in ==> junk out.

Therefore, check the source of the mp3 quality first to make sure they are good to play.

Originally Posted by jennie
I noticed this has the biggest effect. Crappy recordings of songs that aren't out yet = need to turn it all the way up and still have poor playback. Good quality = can hear everything and don't need to turn to deafening levels.
Old 05-19-14, 12:40 PM
marks0008
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the input, I will look into the jl amp/sub for now, I did know that garbage in=garbage out, I have dumped way more money into home hi-fi gear than I would like to admit, possibly why I need more volume (possibly going def) I generally listen to flac files or another type of lossless audio if possible. On a side note is the base system still pioneer for 2011+ if so I had no idea but did stumble across someone saying in another thread that they thought the speakers were pioneer of some sort.

Thanks everyone for responding.
Old 05-19-14, 12:56 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I work around fighter jets....I'm well aware of hearing loss lol. I am required to be tested annually and in the past 11 years I've been in my hearing hasen't decreased...woop! LOL. On a nice sunny day with all the windows down 38/40 is my norm. I have a weird thing about only having the volume on even increments
Old 05-19-14, 01:03 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Our whole stock sound system are made by Pioneer.

However, there is the high end Mark Levinson option that cost 4k or so (integrated with the navigation) with the following feature: 1. DVD add-on, 2. Premium surround sound. 3. More wattage and 4. 20Hz-20kHz @ less than 0.1% THD
Old 05-19-14, 01:05 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

How loud can it be in your work place and how many hours of exposure? Don't they provide you with some kind of sound block device like ear plug?? What volume do you listen to in the Lexus to enjoy the music haha?

Originally Posted by SubieChik
I work around fighter jets....I'm well aware of hearing loss lol. I am required to be tested annually and in the past 11 years I've been in my hearing hasen't decreased...woop! LOL. On a nice sunny day with all the windows down 38/40 is my norm. I have a weird thing about only having the volume on even increments
Old 05-19-14, 01:26 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

They do provide foamies and depending if we are fueling them while they are running or they are just taxiing in/out we have to wear double hearing protection. Exposure varies depending how long you are out on the flight line. My shop is at the end of the runway though so even if you are inside at a desk it gets pretty loud when they are taking off.

I grew up listening to loud music I love it....never bothers me. If all the windows are up the volume is usually on 30ish.
Old 05-19-14, 05:18 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine at max and wanted more clarity to the audio.. so I got Kicker - CX Series CX600.1 1200W Class D Mono Amplifier with Adjustable KickEQ Bass Boost (listed at 249.99 got it for 199.99) and then I added 2 Kicker - CompS 10" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer.

Set Mid and treble about 80% then put bass 1 notch below half way.. then moved the audio towards the front two notches.... volume 40 sounds amazing. Bass hits at a perfect level ... not like the white trash turds who rattle their chevy cavaliers down the street. I move the audio towards the front because the trunk is built so well that some of the bass gets trapped in the trunk and sort of makes it sound too deep and it overpowers the audio... by moving it forward the bass doesnt drown it out anymore
Old 05-19-14, 09:54 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can always upgrade anything. If you don't feel you need bass then you can upgrade miss and highs up front and add an amp. Here is a sound system link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html