IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering wheel cut up after being tinted

Old 04-20-14, 01:51 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel cut up after being tinted

So I got my windows tinted last Friday at 'Quality Auto Glass & Tint' in Santa Clara and just today, I realized that the bottom of my steering wheel had been cut up. Usually, when they're tinting, they have all four doors open to the max but I think it's from having to take off the door panels to install the tints. Long story short, it's annoying to the point where I want to replace the steering wheel leather and they're not going to admit it's their mistake if I come back 2 days later. I just want to know if it's costly to replace it since I don't want to spend $500 on a brand new steering wheel.

And the cut looks like small knife cuts that are in perfect increments. One tiny cut every 1mm exactly. So there's like 20 small cuts which make it rough when my fingers go across. I'll upload a pic tomorrow morning. Thanks fam!

Last edited by BoyOhBoy; 04-20-14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 08:02 AM
IS350ENG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.

It seems that the steering wheel itself will be costly. Looking at brand new parts at is.sewellparts.com, it can range from 660 - 1000 depending on the year and if you want the F-sport one. It might be best to call local junk yards or check out ebay to see if you can get the part used (but in good condition) to save some cash. I'm guessing a mechanic would charge an hour of time for install.

Hope everything works out
Old 04-20-14, 08:07 AM
Travis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A: Complain to them that it wasn't that way before.

B: Pay for a new one yourself.

I'd at least try to get it sorted with them first...
Old 04-20-14, 08:21 AM
Raybean
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be a good idea to pick up one of those flat bottom steering wheels now.
Old 04-20-14, 08:30 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybean
might be a good idea to pick up one of those flat bottom steering wheels now.
I would strongly complain that it most definetly wasn't like that before!! Then, I would use the couple. Hundered that they have me for repair towards the CF flat bottom wheel!!
Old 04-20-14, 09:03 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear. I'd go back also but it'll be your word vs. theirs. It may be hard to prove. I have my stock steering wheel I'll sell you cheap
Old 04-20-14, 11:36 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Sorry to hear. I'd go back also but it'll be your word vs. theirs. It may be hard to prove. I have my stock steering wheel I'll sell you cheap
Pm me with price! And ok so the reason why I can't exactly go back and complain is because before going there, I read their yelp reviews and found that some girl had her steering wheel cut up too. But I thought it was a mistake on her side seeing how everyone else rated them 5 stars. They're pretty reputable here in the bay area. The girl explained the situation and the owner replied back saying he isn't reliable if she didn't notice it right after the car had been returned to her. So I'm stuck in the same boat and will probably get the same response. I didn't notice it bc it was at the very bottom which I don't tend to touch unless I'm making a turn.
Old 04-20-14, 11:53 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 on flat bottom steering wheel. Good excuse to upgrade.
Old 04-20-14, 03:21 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

So I ended up writing a review for the place and I'm going to contact the owner tomorrow since it's closed today. I don't know if i really want to change out a whole steering wheel over this. It's annoying enough for me to want to replace it but not enough to make me drop half a rack!
Old 04-20-14, 03:53 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The cuts look to be from a tool the tinter had on his belt. Probably rubbed the steering wheel a few times when he was taking the door panel on or off. I would try and complain at least. Some chance is better than none.
Old 04-20-14, 03:56 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Could be from a belt itself. Try talking to the shop, worst they can say is "naw we didnt do that"
Old 04-20-14, 04:07 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Could be from a belt itself. Try talking to the shop, worst they can say is "naw we didnt do that"
Touche' . I keep forgetting that some people like to wear studded belts LOL
Old 04-20-14, 04:20 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately things like this can happen. It was most likely from the keys or tool on either the install techs belt, or even your own.

Since it's at the bottom, where you'll probably be the only one that knows it's there-my recommendation is to massage the leather the opposite direction that it was impacted and use some water and your thumb for a while. This will level the leather and make it less visible.

Not really worth you spending out of pocket. Lesson learned, before you take your car in anywhere, even valet, always place your seat back and lift the steering wheel to the highest angle. This will prevent any future damages.
Old 04-20-14, 04:45 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the same thing happened to me at the dealership. They called in some leather repair man to refinish the steering wheel. Just make sure they don't get black leather dye overspray on other parts of your car.
Old 04-20-14, 04:49 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
So the same thing happened to me at the dealership. They called in some leather repair man to refinish the steering wheel. Just make sure they don't get black leather dye overspray on other parts of your car.
And how much did they charge you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel cut up after being tinted