IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AFS Light Blinking - How to diagnose/troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 01:24 PM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS Light Blinking - Front AFS sensor "bar" snapped in half!!!

So i've got the AFS light coming and blinking. It doesn't happen every trip, only some, and sometimes it will even turn off and go away mid-trip.

I've done searches and read the threads about people getting the issue when lowering/changing out suspension components etc.

I have not been able to check the sensor position yet but here are some symptoms i've had.

1) I've always had a "minor" issue with the headlights, sometimes one doesn't fire etc. I've replaced both bulbs with aftermarkets, and they work well. sometimes one still doesn't fire (mostly in auto-mode), but they do eventually work if you switch the lights off and back on again. I'm attributing that to probably a nearing faulty ballast.

2) The headlight aiming has been off for the last little while. At one point it was one side that was aimed low, now both sides are aimed low. I can try playing around with the adjustment screws though. I don't really get the headlight calibration movements upon startup anymore.

Does the AFS light blink for any other problems? if the motor is burnt out etc? or is it primarily to do with the sensor? i'm thinking maybe the sensor bar got pushed or something during the winter here, lots of snow.

I just want to aim the headlights as per normal and have them be useful again. If i have to replace motors and stuff, i may just aim them manually, shut off the AFS and pull the fuse for the inside light if it turns out the repair would be much too expensive. the turning headlight thing wouldn't be the worst thing to lose.

Can anyone shed some light as to where i should start my troubleshooting?

Last edited by S2KIS250; 04-04-14 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 09:21 PM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

so i decided to change the wheels over to my summers, and in the process give a look to both the front and rear AFS sensors in the driver wheel wells. The rear one was OK and looked like it should as per the pictures on here.

However, when i got to the front, i looked and voila, i think i may have found the issue. The long bar that runs vertically connecting the sensor to the lower ball mount, actually snapped in half and was just dangling there. yikes. everything looks pretty "seized up" on that lower ball mount. The bar moves up and down pretty freely when i move it with my hand, however, the left/right movement of the lower ball portion thats bolted on the lower control arm seems pretty rigid and stuck. Should that portion be more mobile and fluid? I'm assuming i probably hit a pothole, and the lower joint didn't flex, and just snapped the sensor bar.

Anyone replace/repair just the bar or am i stuck searching for a whole new sensor? I would think it could probably be welded together pretty quickly if possible...
Old 04-05-14, 08:53 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Got a pic of the damaged item you are speaking of?
Old 04-07-14, 07:50 AM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Got a pic of the damaged item you are speaking of?
i do actually. its the bar that runs vertically on the left-center of the image. you can see the little bit of black epoxy i've applied at the bottom. Took it for a spin after i let the epoxy cure 24 hours, and no AFS light so far, and i did get the HID startup calibration when i started the car.

i'll get back under to see if its already broken again but yeah, that bar was snapped when i found it lol. Sucks because i think lexus only sells the entire sensor assembly, and its not cheap .

i believe my headlight is still aimed very low on one side as i messed around with the adjusting screws on the headlight one time so i'll have to move it back up