IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clock, Hazards, and Passenger Seat Belt Warning Light don't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 02:07 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clock, Hazards, and Passenger Seat Belt Warning Light don't work

I was doing the non functioning navigation screen fix and I think I broke something along the way.

When I assembled everything back together the clock, hazard warning lights (and switch), and passenger seat belt warning light all do not work. I initially thought I didn't plug it back in when I assembled everything, but when I went back in, I found that it was plugged in.

Second thought was that it was a fuse. I checked all of the fuses under the drivers side dash, and all seemed to work fine.

My final thought is that I burnt out a relay of some sort. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it?

Thanks
Old 03-15-14, 02:11 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

There are more fuses located under the passenger dash and hood, check em all
Old 03-15-14, 10:55 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Checked all the fuses, one of the fuses was bad under the passenger side (for cig lighter), replaced it but no use.

I never use the cig lighter, so that could be why it went unnoticed. I'm at a loss for ideas now. Also my lexus ipod adapter just stopped working (although was working before, even though the clock wasn't working).

I'm getting annoyed and taking apart the dash. Already scuffed a couple of parts of the surround. If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.
Old 03-16-14, 12:14 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

As rare as it might be, I think my clock unit is fried, and I think that is causing the rest of the board to not receive power. Took apart the clock and the top left unit of the LCD display looks like it shorted. A small black "burned" area. Must have been a short when removing the dash. Guess I should have disconnected the battery.....

No idea if I'm going to be able to find this part without paying an arm and a leg. Anyone know where I can search for salvage cars?
Old 03-16-14, 10:46 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you don't find one locally, I actually found this link for somebody else yesterday who was looking for the cover for the clock. At least you can get an idea on the price of a new assembly...

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=796698
Old 03-16-14, 01:18 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I was able to find the cost of a new one, but not sure if a clock is worth ~$300 for me. The loss of the hazards is more concerning. I'm just curious if it is indeed the clock assembly.

Anyone think the dealer will let me plug in a new clock assembly to "test" it out? haha
Old 03-16-14, 05:15 PM
MoeSzyslak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are also two more fuse panels under the hood - check those before you start replacing parts. Also if you have a multimeter, I would do some testing first that there is power in the cable that supplies it to the click/etc in the first place.
Old 03-16-14, 08:34 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

So I have a multimeter, but I'm sort of new to using it. What would be the best way to check the harness for power?

Since the cable prongs are so close together, I'd hate to short it on my own by not knowing what I'm doing.
Old 03-16-14, 08:45 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a little quick crash course (thanks to YouTube) on how to use it to check voltage. I'm not familiar with the connector you're looking at though. If they are the female side of the harness, you can back probe one side of the connector (put the metal tip into the back of the connector on the side the wire goes into it on) and touch the other prong to the other side of the plug. That will help you keep from bridging the connection, but really the clock probably draws such low amperage the chance of the power arcing across the contacts is pretty low.

Old 07-30-14, 02:17 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping this thread hoping that someone else has gotten this issue. I ended up buying a used clock assembly and that did absolutely nothing. Does anyone have any idea how to restore power to the clock/hazard assembly?

Am I literally the only one who has had this issue?
Old 07-31-14, 12:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've only read of one other having the issue; and there was no fix that was reported on the thread.
Old 09-15-14, 08:02 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Via enlightenment from another user, apparently my clock plug was swapped with the sat radio plug, which is ALSO the same size as the CD/DVD plug.

I thought the Japanese idiot proofed these plugs (hence the different notches and sizes!) For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the issue was.

Any how, after months of no clock, I finally have a clock and hazard lights again!
The following users liked this post:
inovashn (01-23-23)
Old 09-15-14, 08:14 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, I'm glad you figured all this out by yourself and thanks for reporting back to us!!!!
Old 10-08-14, 03:23 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Funny how the "little" things in life once taken away can bring back so much joy once you have them back again. I'm so happy to have my clock and hazards working again!
Old 10-08-14, 04:34 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you figured it out.

Just saw this thread, but from reading through it, I had doubts that you damaged the clock. Usually it's something as simple as a fuse.. or as dumb as swapped matching plugs.

I swear that almost every mod I have done to my car, I have had to do at least twice. My navigation unit went in and out quite a few times trying to figure out why my GPS wouldn't work (dash cam interference), then my seats started blowing cold on their own (forgot to plug them back in)...

Feels good when you have most of the bugs and quirks worked out though.

Quick Reply: Clock, Hazards, and Passenger Seat Belt Warning Light don't work