IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior Swap... Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 08:05 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Swap... Need Suggestions

OK guys, so now that my engine woes actually were carbon issues and didn't cost anything..

I need suggestions on new interior options. I'm looking to switch the whole thing. I have an ecru 09 250... and as much as I love the ecru setup, its the known ink transfer to leather/leather dying issue that's just become insane. I'm tired of feeling the need to put a towel down each time I wear jeans..! I've tried taking care of the leather regularly and really it's just not happening...

What do you all suggest? I'd love to stick with the ecru interior but I feel like even if I went suede in a similar colour I'm worried I'll still have dye transfer issues... The car at stock is pretty much a two tone as is with the gray/ecru style (the back of the front seats being that gray, ecru/gray plastic on the front panels), so I was thinking maybe black leather seats with perhaps ecru style stitching to blend into the two tone? Or would a suede leather solve the issues?

Really I just want something that looks good and that I can wear jeans in... is that too much to ask? Apparently for our ecru interiors, it sure is...

I'll be sure to post photos once I figure out what the deal should be. I'm sure it'll be 2k at least in cost... but at this point it's getting ridiculous...!
Old 02-28-14, 08:10 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you willing to pay to redo your seats? Or are you looking for an OEM swap from another member or salvage yard? A two tone would work best I believe with black in the center and ecru on the sides. That color is so light (but nice) that it shows everything.
Old 02-28-14, 08:14 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Probably willing to pay to redo them at a local upholstery shop. I've been cruising around for one near me that has good reviews on here/around the web.

Ecru really does show everything. It's so nice it's amazing, but especially for those of us without the ventilated seats like myself, damn it sure does show everything. There's no cure once it sets in..!
Old 03-01-14, 06:54 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on what color you go with will you have to change out the seatbelts, carpet, headliner, pillars and knee airbags? If you do, count on way more than $2k. lol Been there done that...though parts are cheaper/available now than 3yrs ago.
Old 03-01-14, 09:19 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Oh yeah I know... that';s what I'm supremely worried about...! That's why I'm trying to swing the two tone thing... I'm wondering if I could two-tone the stitching or something and if it would be just enough to maintain the other ecru interiors...

Old 03-01-14, 04:01 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Just to give you an idea this is what I had done. Any piece can be saved on your seats. I opted to do the headliner, all pillars, door inserts, arm rest. Some other options as well. Save as much as you can so you don't have to spend so much.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Swap... Need Suggestions-stay-stetti-interior-pic.jpg   Interior Swap... Need Suggestions-interior-rear-2.jpg   Interior Swap... Need Suggestions-is-f-interior-red.jpg   Interior Swap... Need Suggestions-isf-interior-orange.jpg   Interior Swap... Need Suggestions-is-f-interior-blue.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 03-02-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 07:06 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

I've definitely seen your IS around the fourms of course! I love everything you've done with it. I'm not looking to go that crazy with it of course mostly due to finances!

I'm trying to save about half the leather in the back I think, in order to save costs. The seats in the front of course can't be spared at this point - prior owner decided to paint the drivers seat to try to make it look better so now there's cracking involved... it's bad...!
Old 03-02-14, 09:52 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by phillimt
I've definitely seen your IS around the fourms of course! I love everything you've done with it. I'm not looking to go that crazy with it of course mostly due to finances!

I'm trying to save about half the leather in the back I think, in order to save costs. The seats in the front of course can't be spared at this point - prior owner decided to paint the drivers seat to try to make it look better so now there's cracking involved... it's bad...!
If you plan to just do the fronts then I'd add subtle piping like you had mentioned and where you won't stain the ecru color.
Old 03-02-14, 04:28 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
If you plan to just do the fronts then I'd add subtle piping like you had mentioned and where you won't stain the ecru color.
Yes this is what I was thinking, and I was going to do just the liners (middle) in the back to help keep the two tone aspect. I'm waiting on a quote for them to do all of that from a store up near me, we will see. I'm sure it will easily be 2k + unfortunately...

I should post photos of how bad it is, but really... I don't want to... Pictures or it didn't happen, right?
Old 03-02-14, 04:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by phillimt
Yes this is what I was thinking, and I was going to do just the liners (middle) in the back to help keep the two tone aspect. I'm waiting on a quote for them to do all of that from a store up near me, we will see. I'm sure it will easily be 2k + unfortunately...

I should post photos of how bad it is, but really... I don't want to... Pictures or it didn't happen, right?
Yeah post pics...it wasn't your fault.
Old 03-03-14, 07:15 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

okay... per request... here she is...

now you all have to tell me if i'm just over-reacting or if it really is as awful as i'm leading on...!

I literally keep a towel over the driver's side 24/7 these days.

Old 03-03-14, 07:21 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Sounds like you're pretty picky like myself. It isn't THAT bad but that piece alone can be replaced the same color if you REALLY wanted to save money. I do know you worry about jean dye though. I've seen worse if that helps you.
Old 03-03-14, 07:38 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Sounds like you're pretty picky like myself. It isn't THAT bad but that piece alone can be replaced the same color if you REALLY wanted to save money. I do know you worry about jean dye though. I've seen worse if that helps you.
That's great news that it's not as bad as I think... it sure does bother me. The front driver seat is so dark it drives me insane..! I just hate driving around with a towel on my seat haha.

I could replace the one really bad panel alone but since the seat is so dark it wouldn't match at all of course. I think it's probably best to just pay more now instead of paying even more over time as I keep trying to replace specific panels and nothing matching... I suppose I am picky haha. I've painted my roof black, I'm keeping her for a while anyway