IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Yet another LED DRL Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 05:41 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Yet another LED DRL Problem

So today I installed my iJDMTOY LED's for my DRL (9005) which came with the decoder harness.

I matched red to red and black to black which seemed to allow the DRL to work just fine except when my headlights are on. When my headlights come on the DRL completely shuts off. Now if I run with my BRIGHT lights on /w my headlights both the headlights and DRL work just fine but of course I cannot use my fog lights with my "high beams on".

Anyone else have this problem before? I've looked at the various LED DRL threads and I havn't come across a thread yet that has had the same problem.

NOTE: I unplugged the socket for the small light above the DRLs (Running light?) because I didn't like that little halogen on while my LEDs were on. Could this be the problem? I actually won't be able to try it out until tomorrow when there is more light but I thought I'd ask.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-19-14, 10:05 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

emergency brake on?
Old 02-20-14, 12:35 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my1s250
emergency brake on?
Nope, this occurs when my emergency brake being off.
Old 02-20-14, 05:19 AM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that sometime the wire get switch around so just remove wire from socket and switch it around. Open up the box and look for plus minus sign so for example plus minus from headlight go into plus minus of DRL decoder then from the box goes into led. Should of test it first before plugging in the bulb and if all else fail you got a bad module.
Old 02-20-14, 07:16 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the DRL's only worked when the headlights are off. The DRL's also serve as your high beams when the headlights are on. It sounds like they are working as designed. You can do a search for the 'fog light mod', this lets you turn on your fogs via a separate switch with your headlights off, this may get the look your going for.
Old 02-20-14, 07:21 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's exactly how mine worked. DRL on with no headlight. I changed my city light bulb to LED also to match the DRL.
Old 02-20-14, 07:44 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my1s250
I read somewhere that sometime the wire get switch around so just remove wire from socket and switch it around. Open up the box and look for plus minus sign so for example plus minus from headlight go into plus minus of DRL decoder then from the box goes into led. Should of test it first before plugging in the bulb and if all else fail you got a bad module.
I will try this.

Originally Posted by Cali2is
I thought the DRL's only worked when the headlights are off. The DRL's also serve as your high beams when the headlights are on. It sounds like they are working as designed. You can do a search for the 'fog light mod', this lets you turn on your fogs via a separate switch with your headlights off, this may get the look your going for.
The DRLs run at a lower power setting when headlights are on. Go run out to your car right now and turn on your headlights, your DRL will STILL be on but dimmer. That is of course if you drive a 06-2010 model. I am certain that before I closed everything up, my headlights and drl were both working and running simultaneously but that *MAY* be because my high beams were engaged accidentally during the install, I can't confirm this at all.

Can anyone with the iJDMTOY 9005 LED DRL and Decoder chime in on this?

Originally Posted by Sffd103
That's exactly how mine worked. DRL on with no headlight. I changed my city light bulb to LED also to match the DRL.
Off topic, but what did you replace your IS with after you sold her?
Old 02-20-14, 07:53 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My DRLs go off when my headlights are on. Also, you guys are talking about the DRLs being your highbeams? Mine are two completely different lightbulbs. When my headlights are on auto during the day (DRLs) it is the little bitty bulb adjacent to the 9005. When I turn my brights on it is the 9005 bulb in the middle.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding.
Old 02-20-14, 08:21 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SubieChik
My DRLs go off when my headlights are on. Also, you guys are talking about the DRLs being your highbeams? Mine are two completely different lightbulbs. When my headlights are on auto during the day (DRLs) it is the little bitty bulb adjacent to the 9005. When I turn my brights on it is the 9005 bulb in the middle.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding.
I'll go put my old Halogen bulb in and verify that the DRL is completely turned off because I was under the impression that if the headlights were on, the DRL was still on but running at a lower power setting in addition to that little tiny bulb in the same housing. Been looking at pics on CL of cars with their headlights on and some look like their DRLs are dimmed and other looks completely off. Im baffled....
Old 02-20-14, 08:41 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Well, Looks like the DRL shut off completely when my headlights are on, I must have mistaken this for the city light that is on while the headlights are, case closed.
Old 02-20-14, 08:51 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Well, Looks like the DRL shut off completely when my headlights are on, I must have mistaken this for the city light that is on while the headlights are, case closed.
Hahahah good one bro
Old 02-20-14, 08:55 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
Hahahah good one bro
Thanks man

Surprised you didn't thread steal another one of my threads
Old 02-20-14, 08:58 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

I'm still confused though lol. So the little light is called a city light? That's my DRL....is that the same thing?

Dammit didn't have this many lights on any of my Subarus LOL
Old 02-20-14, 09:03 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SubieChik
I'm still confused though lol. So the little light is called a city light? That's my DRL....is that the same thing? Dammit didn't have this many lights on any of my Subarus LOL
The little bulb is 194 and its your parking lights, the DRLs are the middle bulbs 9005 which are also used as the high beams but during the day the output is much lower to play as your DRLs
Old 02-20-14, 09:31 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Oh ok. So mine must already be diabled then. The only ones that comes on during the day is the 194 parking lights. Thanks

Quick Reply: Yet another LED DRL Problem