IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Glue for body kits that is not permanent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 09:21 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue for body kits that is not permanent?

I installed myride diffuser on my car few weeks ago. There is a minor gap that the 3m tape couldn't tape down. I am wondering if there is some sort of glue for body kits that is reversible and wouldn't rip the paint off when I remove it.
Old 02-13-14, 09:29 AM
LexusIS954
Rookie

Silicone is what I used with the spoilers on my cars
Old 02-13-14, 10:21 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I get what you want to achieve but it's kinda contradictory. I've used silicone for a kit before but it was ON there. If it was removed it would need to be smoothed and reprinted underneath.
Old 02-13-14, 10:32 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusIS954
Silicone is what I used with the spoilers on my cars
Originally Posted by Sffd103
I get what you want to achieve but it's kinda contradictory. I've used silicone for a kit before but it was ON there. If it was removed it would need to be smoothed and reprinted underneath.
There is no other type of glue that is paint safe?

I did find a glue in my garage that came with my spoiler for my old car. It's called "Isis bond." The seller I got the spoiler from was from Taiwan. I can't seem to find that anywhere. It was safe to apply on paint and completely reversible.
Old 02-13-14, 10:55 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I installed myride diffuser on my car few weeks ago. There is a minor gap that the 3m tape couldn't tape down. I am wondering if there is some sort of glue for body kits that is reversible and wouldn't rip the paint off when I remove it.
When you installed the diffuser, did you use anything to hold pressure on it while the tape made its "seal"? For example, I've used bags of flower (my girlfriend bakes a lot) and towels, or weights and towels to hold pressure against the diffuser, so that all of the diffuser touches the tape and adheres evenly. I leave it overnight, remove the pressure, and bam, it all holds in place.
Old 02-13-14, 11:03 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
When you installed the diffuser, did you use anything to hold pressure on it while the tape made its "seal"? For example, I've used bags of flower (my girlfriend bakes a lot) and towels, or weights and towels to hold pressure against the diffuser, so that all of the diffuser touches the tape and adheres evenly. I leave it overnight, remove the pressure, and bam, it all holds in place.
It's a good idea but it's hard to put pressure on it from the side though and doesn't always work. I installed my roof spoiler with 3M tape, put microfiber towels over it and then placed two 50 pound bags of salt over it overnight. It held on VERY well but a few days later, it was starting to lift up again. Off topic to the OP, but do you guys recommend something that is permanent?
Old 02-13-14, 11:12 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chi123
It's a good idea but it's hard to put pressure on it from the side though and doesn't always work. I installed my roof spoiler with 3M tape, put microfiber towels over it and then placed two 50 pound bags of salt over it overnight. It held on VERY well but a few days later, it was starting to lift up again. Off topic to the OP, but do you guys recommend something that is permanent?
If you are SURE you want it to be permanent, you cannot beat molding the part on to the car. It looks smooth, Looks like a factory option, I love it. Depending on the material of the part your shop would choose how to mold it on.
Old 02-13-14, 11:23 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

^ You want flush mold it!
Old 02-13-14, 12:13 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

^see? he knows what's up lol.
Old 02-13-14, 12:18 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

You know it lol
Old 02-13-14, 12:23 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your best option would be using like color silicone/RTV and fill the gap.
Old 02-13-14, 12:28 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

^ to each their own....u would never catch me slapping some silicone on a gap in my body kit, cheap solution may look better or worse...and its silicone dont cut corners bro, if it bothers u do it the right way the first time mold!
Old 02-16-14, 03:32 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3M double sided tape should work. Make sure the bumper has clean and has no type of wax or oil on it. At work we use a glue that makes 3M double sides tape stickier. I guess you can say it's like a primer. Works really well for the frs kit five axis kits. Not really sure what it's called though..
Old 02-16-14, 05:55 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2slow
3M double sided tape should work. Make sure the bumper has clean and has no type of wax or oil on it. At work we use a glue that makes 3M double sides tape stickier. I guess you can say it's like a primer. Works really well for the frs kit five axis kits. Not really sure what it's called though..
I tried 3m double sided tape VHB. The strongest 3M tape and I used it with adhesion promoter. No luck. Like someone said, probably I needed to put some weight on it for few hours to help keep it down. But my car is slammed on the rear and when I exit driveways, my diffuser would scrape at the fins knocking the tape loose.

Are you talking about the adhesion promoter primer spray? I saw those on Amazon but it didn't look like it would be reversible.
Old 02-16-14, 08:39 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you're going to be rubbing out of driveways i'd use glue to hold it in place. 3M tape will just get knocked loose. What's the issue about using glue?

Quick Reply: Glue for body kits that is not permanent?