IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 10:20 PM
KillaMilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, Im having the same problem Lexus of Greenville told me i needed to replace the torque converter.
Old 12-30-14, 09:29 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my tranny in my 06 350 replaced at 50k under warranty because the check vsc light came coming on. I didnt have stopping to stuttering but my traction control would turn off intermittently and a few other problems. Good luck
Old 01-11-15, 12:34 AM
Flooring
Driver School Candidate

Default Same vsc check engine light

I have had the light on for 2 year . It's drives fine but I was told the trass will go bad soon . Sure enough I have started burning oil , noticed that in the freeway my rpm is high since I am not going into the right gear . Shouldn't there be some warranties from Lexus or a recall? There seams to be a lot of us with the same issue . I have 150 k miles and the vsc lights been on for the last 35k. The car is only 8 years old .
Old 01-13-15, 07:44 AM
Mokey
Rookie

I have the same light turning on and off intermittently on my car that started at around 150k miles. But my car drives normally other than the traction control being off. There was a new recall i received for something about a gas smell but i doubt that has anything to do with this issue.
Old 02-22-15, 05:44 PM
cbst09
Driver School Candidate

My Check VSC light just came on today on my 06 IS250 with 149k miles. The car seems to run fine, I'm hoping that it is something other than the transmission issue.
Old 03-03-15, 10:50 PM
element360
Driver School Candidate

bump, have a buddy with this same issue, says the car drives smooth and normal. Changed out the transmission fluid but CEL popped back up after 600 miles or so.

Solenoid? or Torque Converter?
Old 03-04-15, 05:10 PM
LexHes
Driver

This seems to be an ongoing problem with most early 2nd gen IS'. My Check Engine/Check VSC/traction control light has been on and off for about 25k now. ( I am at 120k) It has been in and out of the service drive for a few years but my dealership has not done the CSP Carbon Clean up (even though I have a few cylinder misfire codes) I too am coming up with P2757. Hopefully changing out the Torque converter is the solution to all of our problems because personally it is not worth the 5k or the hassle to get Lexus to pay for the new tranny. Please advise the forums if this problem is happening to you and to see if changing the Torque Converter solves the issue. Good luck people!
Old 03-04-15, 06:33 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

Is this an is350 problem? At what km this seems to happen seems like 220k / 150miles
Old 03-04-15, 11:30 PM
Han1s
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with the same cell on my is350, it had around 110k when it happened . However, my car was also leaking trans fluid from under the car. The first thing I did was I STOP driving the car cause doing so will only cause damage to the transmission. I took my car to a mechanic that I know its really good. He looked at it and told me it was the torque convertor but he couldn't really tell me if my transmission was bad because for him to find out he would've going to have to open it up which is very labor extensive. Thankfully, it was indeed the torque convertor and my tranny was good
Old 03-05-15, 03:43 PM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by Han1s
I had the same problem with the same cell on my is350, it had around 110k when it happened . However, my car was also leaking trans fluid from under the car. The first thing I did was I STOP driving the car cause doing so will only cause damage to the transmission. I took my car to a mechanic that I know its really good. He looked at it and told me it was the torque convertor but he couldn't really tell me if my transmission was bad because for him to find out he would've going to have to open it up which is very labor extensive. Thankfully, it was indeed the torque convertor and my tranny was good
How much did you end up spending out of pocket? ( if you don't mind me asking ) And it took care of the problem completely? No more Christmas Light Dashboard??
Old 03-05-15, 10:12 PM
Han1s
Driver School Candidate

I'm good friend with the mechanic so he only charged me $600 parts and labor. One thing the mechanic show me was how bad the trans fluid was, which make me think that the fluid should be changed eve thou the transmission is "sealed". Been driving my car for six moths now and everything is normal no cel or leaks.

Last edited by Han1s; 03-05-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:28 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Glad I have an m/t.
Old 04-06-15, 09:02 PM
dagohoy620
Driver School Candidate

Angry Check Engine, VSC & Trac Lights problem since 2011

In March 2011, I took my 2005 IS250 at my dealership for a couple of Recalls (Service Campaign, they call it). They had to order the replacement parts so they told me to pick up car on the 3rd day.

I did come back, but even before I was out of the dealer lot, I noticed that those 3 lights were ON all at the same time, and the car was running roughly! They had to take it back to the service area to check it out. They detected an engine misfire, and performed a RESET. They test drove it themselves and the 3 lights were all OFF. They checked it off and wrote down that "No repairs needed at this time."

In March 2014, I took the car to the dealer for a ZLA campaign (water pump replacement). While there, I complained that the car runs badly at felt like it would stall. The dealer confirmed it and created TAS case #140570497: Excessive Misfire verification.

To my utter surprise, they offered to perform LSB 0124-12. They removed the engine, replced the pistons, piston rings, and inspected the cylinder block condition (seemed okay) -- AT NO COST to me!! It was FREE!

But then in January & February 2015, the 3 lights & the rough rides came back again, and this time the light on/off episodes became more often. So, early in March (why were all these bad things happening in March?), I went back to my dealer to tell them that the 2011 3-light problem really never went away, and kept coming back with a vengeance!

This time, they took it in for 3 days, and they told me that the Code P2757 was diagnosed and advised me that the transmission has to be replaced -- that it was THE problem -- along with a Code P0303 stored for #3 cylinder misfire! They also gave me a $4,800 estimate for the transmission replacement including labor cost.

I took the car home and told my advisor that I will ask my former co-workers at Toyota for 2nd & 3rd opinions before I make my decision on what I should do! I'm at present still doing my consults. I also called Corporate Customer Care and told them of my ongoing problem since 2011! The Customer Care advisor told me that they are creating a case file for my car issues!
Old 04-06-15, 10:21 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn reading this makes me wanna sell my is250 ..I have an 2006 with 96k no lights came on beside the vsc which came on when I did my after market steering wheel..
Old 04-06-15, 10:29 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Same problem on mine happened around 56k. It would only studder after a hard acceleration and merge into traffic only to meet a red light. Would bog down and shake at the stop. Dealership told me carbon buildup, and it's normal apparently. Though reading this thread has me thinking otherwise. Check vsc light would come on every now and then, figured cause of running a staggered setup that might have been a hair off

Last edited by dcguy; 04-06-15 at 10:29 PM. Reason: cause I can.

Quick Reply: Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission